RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
[RMXP] Surf Skill/Ability (travel across water)

Rep:
Level 76
Shh, they're listening...
(silly me, thinking this counted as a resource, it is more tutorial me thinks ><)

I haven't made a proper introductory post yet and, honestly, had planned to lurk as I do on most RM sites. However, it seems this little demo I made a while ago (posted at another forum) just to show how terrain tags can be used might be useful to people in this forum as well. So I thought I might contribute for once and show people how terrain tags can be used to do some neat things.

This one was a specific request, someone looking for a Pokemon Surf skill wondered how to go about making one. I only took on the travel part of it and no one ever responded for the in-battle portion. =/

It is a short demo to show how one can use Terrain Tags and switches to make certain areas passable in certain situations. There's a little flair thrown in because I can't help but add such things.

Please look throughout the Database, paying particular attention to the Tileset settings. I changed a bit in there to allow for a smoother transition of the sprite from water to land. I used invisible tiles marked as passable to get the player closer to the water before the skill can be activated, you may have other ways of doing this, but look at the options anyway. Might be useful.

Hopefully this will be useful to others, let me know if there are any questions or the demo doesn't work for some reason.

--Edit--
Changed Demo to executable and used map and settings from my own game testbed (meaning it includes Ccoa's UMS and rounded water).
« Last Edit: August 18, 2010, 10:21:12 PM by Dyre »

Rep:
Level 84
Will you join me in the dark side...?
It is a nice event system, but there are still bugs, such as the player leaving the water to a tree and get blocked. Or in the water, there's a part where he automaticly changes to normal human sprite, don't know why....

but it's a nice idea =)
My Puzzle/StandAlone game in a week:

Rep:
Level 76
Which tree are you getting stuck on? I didn't put too much into the mapping of it as it is just a demonstration of the Terrain Tags but I'm still curious. The other bug has been fixed, I was worried the tags weren't working but it was just my silly work-around for the tiles that messed it up.

Was it useful at all otherwise, for the tags? I was really just hoping to give a simple example of how they can be used. =/

Rep:
Level 84
Will you join me in the dark side...?
Yes, and you did very well. ;)
All the trees near the water...You should at least have a space, so the player can leave/enter water, without get stuck in objects...
My Puzzle/StandAlone game in a week:

Rep:
Level 76
Thank you. ^.^

Ah, that kind of stuck. I was thinking an issue with the passability by the water getting the player stuck in a nearby tree. ><

I hadn't planned on anyone venturing too far from the open center to cross the river, as it's just a demo of the ability to cross water, so I went with aesthetics over functionality for the rest of the map. If it hinders the demo at all I can certainly fix the map design.