RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
iPad to replace textbooks in Wisconsin school

A Random Custom Title
Rep:
Level 96
wah
I just wanted to say that I liked how Zylos fixed the typo in arl's thread in the quote, lol.

Rise From The Ashes!
Rep:
Level 91
"Time to bring the Law!"
Project of the Month winner for September 2009
I was going to create a detailed post in here, but after seeing how Irock is posting in this Apple-related thread, I guess I'll just say this would be a bad idea.

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
Rep:
Level 96
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
GIAW 14: 2nd Place (Hard Mode)2013 Biggest Drama Whore2013 Zero to HeroParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.
At that age, I spent $0 on textbooks. The school just loans them out and takes 'em back later. Well, $0 disregarding taxes.

Ditto.

When I first start reading I thougt "Oh that's cool, free iPad." but when I read the part about the students having pay... ~_~

My family didn't have $400 when I was a kid. There are family like that today, many families, what do they do? Is there going to be a program to help people that can't afford an iPad, get one? If they're paying for them then the school shouldn't be able to modify them, they would belong to the student. So that defeats your modifying them to stop them from goofing off plan.

Speaking of money, I don't have that kind of money today. So screw you.

« Last Edit: May 29, 2010, 05:34:21 PM by Boe »
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

Rep:
Level 81
it's time to poke
At that age, I spent $0 on textbooks. The school just loans them out and takes 'em back later. Well, $0 disregarding taxes.

Ditto.

When I first start reading I thougt "Oh that's cool, free iPad." but when I read the part about the students having pay... ~_~

My family didn't have $400 when I was a kid. There are family like that today, many families, what do they do? Is there going to be a program to help people that can't afford an iPad, get one? If they're paying for them they the school shouldn't be able to change it, so that defeats your modifying them to stop them from goofing off plan.
Nobody has to pay unless they get damaged, just like with textbooks; I just said nobody wanted to shell out 400 duckets to replace the garbage.

Rep:
Level 96
GIAW 14: 2nd Place (Hard Mode)2013 Biggest Drama Whore2013 Zero to HeroParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.
The students who are enrolled in St. Catherine’s new sixth- and seventh-grade classes will pay a $400 technology fee, which will go towards the new iPads, Olley said.
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

Rep:
Level 81
it's time to poke
The students who are enrolled in St. Catherine’s new sixth- and seventh-grade classes will pay a $400 technology fee, which will go towards the new iPads, Olley said.
Oh, shit, shoulda read that.

Yeah, so it's 800 smackers to replace (400 initial fee plus 400 to replace).

Rep:
Level 102
2014 Biggest Narcissist Award2014 Biggest Forum Potato2014 Best Non-RM Creator2013 Best IRC Chatterbox2013 Best Game Creator (Non-RM)Participant - GIAW 112012 Most Successful Troll2012 Funniest Member2012 Best Use Of Avatar and Signature space2012 Best IRC ChatterboxSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for November 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2010 Most Successful Troll2010 Biggest Forum Couch Potato2010 Best IRC Chatterbox
Well, this thread turned out exactly like I thought it would.

This is a horrible idea. Nothing anyone can say will ever change my mind.
Agreed. Iunno why, but somehow before I even clicked the thread, I knew that Irock would be in here wildly defending Apple.
I'm defending technological advancements in the way students learn, be it on the iPad, the (not real) Microsoft Courier, or some sort of Android tablet. Everyone here is completely ignoring the educational benefits of a tablet.

A student is going to be more drawn into learning and will learn more when they can flip around 3D models of elements, as opposed to looking at a table or viewing still images. (we didn't even get to see still images to get an idea of what the elements looked like) A student will learn more when they can see animations, use interactive maps, hear audio, see video, and look at 3D models. People learn better when they're not just looking at plain text and still images. I don't understand why anyone would be against greater tools for learning.

To those bitching about how they have to pay for it and pay for replacements, it's a private school. They don't have to go to school there if they don't want to.

This isn't Rand-Land; corporations do bad things.
As long as the government stays out of the market and there's competition, "bad things" will only hurt the company.

Enron did pretty much cause the crisis. They helped convince California to deregulated the market, then Enron jacked up prices and people refused to pay. Power was cut across the state, there were rolling blackouts, and all in the middle of wild-fire season. The point is that when companies can start weaseling their way into things that they normally can't get into, they start to abuse their new found power (and I'm not specifically speaking about Apple).
Based on the Wikipedia article, there were many other variables. The problem; price caps which (obviously) lead to rationing which lead to market manipulation which lead to dependency on whoelsalers. Enron wouldn't have been depended on without the government price caps. With the iPad and education companies, we're talking about a free submarket, and the California energy crisis was caused because the market wasn't free (pricecaps). That's the way I interpreted it.

You don't need an ipad to have a textbook.
You need an tablet to do the great things a tablet can. Think outside the book. It's time education starts heading in a better direction.

The point of education is to teach, not to profit. (Also in before the obligatory "Why wouldn't they want to make money?", they need to make money, yes, but schooling shouldn't be for-profit.)
Oh! Then maybe teachers and school staff shouldn't be paid, and school supplies should just be given away! That's dumb. Profit drives competition, innovation, and advancements. You get better products at the end of the day because the companies are competing and are trying to make profit. If they weren't getting profit and were just earning enough to cover the costs of making the products, there wouldn't be any products, because there's no money to be earned. If there were products, there would be no innovation, no advancements, and no will to make the best product. Profit is one of the single most important factor in any market. It's basic economics.

Crew Slut
Rep:
Level 93
You'll love it!
For taking a crack at the RMRK Wiki
That's it, I'm out. This could go on forever, and ever.

I had a wonderful revelation while eating indian food today: goat is fucking delicious curry. That has nothing to do with this but it's very true.

Rep:
Level 84
Is a New Zealander
That's it, I'm out. This could go on forever, and ever.

I had a wonderful revelation while eating indian food today: goat is fucking delicious curry. That has nothing to do with this but it's very true.

You are so right. I was eating Indian a while back, looked at the menu and thought I'd try something different. I have to say it was delicious, the goat really takes on the flavour of the curry, and it was very tender.
I'm much too lazy to put an actual signature here.

Rep:
Level 96
goat is fucking delicious curry.

Goat = Animal
Curry = Spice

wut? How can an animal be a good spice?
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

Crew Slut
Rep:
Level 93
You'll love it!
For taking a crack at the RMRK Wiki
Whoops, forgot a verb. ;.;

Rep:
Level 102
2014 Biggest Narcissist Award2014 Biggest Forum Potato2014 Best Non-RM Creator2013 Best IRC Chatterbox2013 Best Game Creator (Non-RM)Participant - GIAW 112012 Most Successful Troll2012 Funniest Member2012 Best Use Of Avatar and Signature space2012 Best IRC ChatterboxSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for November 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2010 Most Successful Troll2010 Biggest Forum Couch Potato2010 Best IRC Chatterbox
goat is fucking delicious curry.
wut? How can an animal be a good spice?
Bacon bits. :V

( ´ิ(ꈊ) ´ิ) ((≡^⚲͜^≡)) (ી(΄◞ิ౪◟ิ‵)ʃ)
Rep:
Level 102
(っ˘ڡ˘ς) ʕ•̼͛͡•ʕ-̺͛͡•ʔ•̮͛͡•ʔ (*ꆤ.̫ꆤ*)
2014 Avast Ye Merry Pirate!2013 Avast Ye Merry Pirate Award2012 Avast Ye Merry Pirate AwardFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2011 Most Unsung Member2011 Avast Ye Merry Pirate2010 Avast Ye Merry Pirate Award
They better not try to have the students work in sunlight.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgQuLPNP1QU" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgQuLPNP1QU</a>
bringing sexy back

Rep:
Level 96
2010 Most Attractive Male Member2010 Best Musician
Turn the brightness up on the iPad. ::)

:tinysmile::tinysmile: