RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
[DEMO AVAILABLE] MacBeth 2

Rep: +0/-0Level 81
Very close to being certified medically insane.
MacBeth 2

Introduction
Hello, I'm new.  I recently downloaded RPGMaker VX, and after making a few short demos and such, decided to make a full game.  Being a High School senior, I used a creative project in my British Literature class as an excuse to use schoolwork time to practice on the program.  Given that the project had to be on something we had read previously in the semester, I chose MacBeth, the William Shakespeare play, and drafted a plot outline for what I envisioned a sequel might entail.  The result was seven hours of straight hard labor resulting in this game.

Compared to everything else on this site, it pales in comparison.  I use no scripts, and stay with everything the game provides except for the title screen.  I've come here because this is a hobby I'd like to pursue, and I'd like to not only get feedback on my work, but also learn how to make the professional quality work that everyone else on the site is putting out.  Any help or advice is greatly appreciated.

And so without further ado, my debut game, MacBeth 2.

Story Background
Spoiler for:
PG13 rating

Scotland is still feeling the ravaging effects of the reign of MacBeth over it's land.  After being told by three witches that he would become king, he was pushed by his domineering wife to commit regicide in order to ascend to the throne, sending the two rightful heirs to the throne, the sons of King Duncan, Donalbain and Malcolm, into exile in Ireland and England respectively.  During his rule, MacBeth becomes corrupted and despotic, killing his best friend, Banquo, and trying to kill Banquo's son, Fleance, because of a prophesy from those three witches that Banquo would father a great line of kings.  Actions such as this, along with the anger of Malcolm, led a rebellion to take place.  Accompanied by a General of England, Siward, and the Thane MacDuff, and attack was led on Inverness, castle of MacDuff.  Lady MacBeth committed suicide, and MacBeth is killed by MacDuff, with Malcolm ascending to the throne.

Fast forward a few years.  Siward became ambassador to Scotland, and MacDuff became Malcolm's right hand man.  Peace has accompanied the stability of the throne, but that is threatened with Malcolm becoming ill.  With his life on a clock, he orders MacDuff and Fleance to go out to Ireland and find Donalabin, the only other person with a legitimate claim to the Scottish throne.  But peace is a myth in Scotland these days, as an old foe seems to return from the grave in order to take hold of power once again...

Spoiler for:
Look, if you've read MacBeth, especially recently, it's going to help you a whole lot in understanding the story.  This is designed to be a direct sequel, and it borrows heavily from Shakespeare's original work.  In game, I act as though the player already knows the backgrounds of the characters, especially the secondary ones.  There's one character with a name that is completely new, but they have very few lines.  Everyone else with a name generally requires at least a small bit of prior knowledge.  To anyone wanting to read a great piece of literature, if not just try and understand the story a bit more, I recommend you go here, where MIT has graciously posted the entire script to MacBeth online.

Characters
Spoiler for:
MacDuff - Main Character
MacDuff used to be the Thane of Fife, before having his wife and son killed by MacBeth's men when he went to assist Malcolm in his retaking of Scotland.  Now, he is Malcolm's right hand man, and tasked with finding Donalbain, and restoring order to Scotland.

Fleance
His father Banquo, killed by MacBeth's men, was once given a prophecy that he would father a great line of kings.  Having been taken in by King Malcolm, he has honed his skills for combat ever since MacBeth was slain.  He longs to be allowed to prove himself to the condescending MacDuff.

King Malcolm
Having been placed on the throne by the death of MacBeth, he has proven a capable and competent ruler.  However, his rule is coming to a close, as he has contracted Tuberculosis, a death sentence for the time.  He sends out some of his finest warriors on a quest to try and find a replacement king, but there seems to be some hidden undercurrents in the plan.

Donalbain
While Malcolm fled to England after MacBeth's coup, Donalbain fled to Ireland.  Another son of King Duncan, no one has heard from him since.

Lady MacBeth
Unbeknownst to many, she was the real power behind the throne during MacBeth's rule, belittling his manhood in order to coerce him into doing her will.  However, power drove her mad, and she eventually attempted suicide by jumping out of a window.

Screenshots
Spoiler for:
Spoiler for:
Spoiler for:
Spoiler for:

Game Files
Game (With RTP)

Please, enjoy what there is!  I understand that the quality is much lower than what you are used to, but I'm hoping to use this as a learning experience.

Good luck!
« Last Edit: May 24, 2010, 02:12:39 AM by LedgerofWrongandRight »
He has no children.—All my pretty ones?
Did you say all?—O hell-kite!—All?
What, all my pretty chickens, and their dam,
At one fell swoop?

Furry Philosopher
Rep:
Level 94
Rawr?
2013 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)Randomizer - GIAW 11Gold - GIAW 11 (Hard)Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2012 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)2012 Best RPG Maker User (Mapping)Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantGold - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for September 2008For taking a crack at the RMRK Wiki2011 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)2011 Kindest Member2011 Best Veteran2010 Most Deserving Of A Promotion2010 Best RPG Maker User (Technical)
Interesting...

I think you can tell though that you could use some more practice with working VX maps. n_n;