RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Windows 7, New PC Build & More

Rep:
Level 98
2010 Best Veteran2014 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2014 King of RMRK2014 Favorite Staff Member2014 Best Writer2014 Best Counsel2014 Most Mature Member2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2013 Favorite Staff MemberSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.Secret Santa 2012 Participant2011 Best Counsel2011 Best Writer2010 Funniest Member2010 Best Writer
Premise 1:

Should I switch to Windows 7?

I see no immediate reason to other than to move ahead, and stop being a legacyfag. Games are starting to shift to being optimized better for 7+, and XP is starting to be left in the dust. In a year, if I remember correctly, support will be dropped for it. The problem with this, however, is that XP is exactly what I want it to be. It's customized, set up and profiled right for me. However, before I received this PC, my father decided to dick around and tweak things. That's nice and all, but now my main Harddrive is convulted as fuck and the system structuring is beat up and confusing. I thought about wiping it all together, and the thought came up as 'Why not just jump to 7 if you're going to wipe at all?' It would mean better stability, a good drive clear is a nice thing, plus a move to a recent OS that would last me another 10 or so years just as XP has.

Premise 2:

I decided, with the summer coming up, let's start saving money for a new PC!

Knowing by general rule of thumb that AMD's Quadcores are better threaded than Intel's, i'm deciding to switch over from the classic Intel/Nvidia to AMD/ATI. I'm not looking for super budgeted, playing Crysis on a $600 PC, as i'm not getting an ENTIRE PC again. I'm salvaging my monitor, speakers, heatsink, fans, case, powersupply and Harddrives as they all work well. This, in turn, would mean I am getting a new Mobo, Cell Proc, Graphic card, and 4 more GBs of RAM, to equal six as the Mobo I have picked out supports.

Dunno if you all can see this but I don't have time to screenshot it so i'll just post the link and a backup of listing the parts.

https://secure.newegg.com/WishList/MySavedWishDetail.aspx?ID=14614126

AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core $180.99

OCZ Reaper HPC 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) (I already have 2GBs of this exact same RAM.) $138.99

ASUS M4A89GTD PRO AM3 AMD 890GX SATA 6Gb/s HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard $139.99

ASUS EAH5850 DirectCU TOP/2DIS/1GD5 Radeon HD 5850 (Cypress Pro) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 Graphic Processor Card $339.99

Plus a cheap little headset and webcam, nothing big.

Grand total is a whopping 844 for this upgrade, would be a fortune more if I was getting everything. Assuming I cap at 1000 like I did last time, another monitor will be coming my way so I can dual screen. The reason for such a high cost of no budgeting is because my graphics card is a salvaged, older Nvidia model, and my poor little Intel core is an overclocked, overworked Dual Core 2.1 pushed to 3.0 GHz. A quad core would be so well threaded, and much smoother ride. My PC is starting to choke on the latest games, and be over all bogged down. A boot time of 30 seconds has been pushed to about a minute ten.

This is good y/n?
you awoke in a burning paperhouse
from the infinite fields of dreamless sleep

Rep:
Level 98
2010 Best Veteran2014 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2014 King of RMRK2014 Favorite Staff Member2014 Best Writer2014 Best Counsel2014 Most Mature Member2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2013 Favorite Staff MemberSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.Secret Santa 2012 Participant2011 Best Counsel2011 Best Writer2010 Funniest Member2010 Best Writer
Nine hours and no posts.

:-[
you awoke in a burning paperhouse
from the infinite fields of dreamless sleep

Furry Philosopher
Rep:
Level 94
Rawr?
2013 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)Randomizer - GIAW 11Gold - GIAW 11 (Hard)Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2012 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)2012 Best RPG Maker User (Mapping)Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantGold - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for September 2008For taking a crack at the RMRK Wiki2011 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)2011 Best Veteran2011 Kindest Member2010 Most Deserving Of A Promotion2010 Best RPG Maker User (Technical)
Report the thread. Roph will come. :3

Sorry I'm no help with this. Not good with technology oddly enough.

Crew Slut
Rep:
Level 93
You'll love it!
For taking a crack at the RMRK Wiki
I would definitely go for Windows 7. My rig actually runs a lot better under 7 than it did with XP. With Win7 it's 25 seconds from start up to google chrome, and I've never experienced any (at least noticeable) drop in FPS, and sometimes I actually get better fps.

As for parts, I have an AMD Black Edition processor, and love it. It's a 64bit dual core, but I have never experienced a problem with it. Black Editions are also very easy to overclock; you can do it through the BIOS. I also have a ASUS mobo, and it's good, too.