RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Short Project/s- (Looking for Collaborators for Short Projects)

Rep:
Level 90
I would like to assemble a team to create some short games. Right now, a team of 3-5 people is all that is needed.

Why short games?

This will make our time much more manageable, and we can create some awesome short games that are fun to play!

The games should be no longer than 5-20 minutes a piece. But for now let's just focus on finishing 1 project and see where that takes us.

The Process

Following some sort of process makes "making a game" possible to accomplish. So here is a rough process I would like to follow through on:

• 1. Story/Game Pitches
  • 2. Game Selection
  • 3. Story Development
  • 4. Game Development (Programming + Game-play Design)
  • 5. Game Development (Level Design + Events)
  • 6. Game Development (Art Design)
  • 7. Game Development (Audio Design)
  • 8. Game Development (Beta Testing Phase)

Right we would be in Phase 1 which is just coming up with a good idea. Which is why I only need people interested in Developing stories.

I want to keep the people in this process equal. So if you come up with a really great idea, and we all decide that it is a great idea and want to work on the project, then that is your control. You become the Lead Designer for "that" project.

Finding People

I figure we'll find the people we need when we need them. If we have a project that motivates them, then we should find people. This is about making quality games. So have a little faith and it can happen.

[Update: Added Members Section]

Members

Green is Means "Confirmed"
Red means "Unconfirmed"

Story Developers:
1. eternal_renegade
2. Sashikinaroji
3. redhead87
4.(empty)

Programmers:
(N/A at this time)

Level Designers:
(N/A at this time)

Artists:
(N/A at this time)

Audio Designers:
(N/A at this time)

Beta Testers:
(N/A at this time)

Afterword

I am hoping that the people that decide to take part are somewhat serious about this and look to game design as more then just a hobby. These projects are still things that can be used in a portfolio, not to mention if you need people later to put in a word for you on your work ethics.
The internet is the future! So let's be the future! Who's with me?

Taken from post 3:
I just thought of an idea to go along with this that could be a benefit to the community. If this works out, we might be able to set up something and get the community involved. (And I don't mean a community game exactly.) But here is the idea: "The RMRK Short Games Project"

I might be getting ahead of myself here, but think about what that could mean. I'll think about this more when we get to working on our project/s.

« Last Edit: April 16, 2010, 02:23:30 AM by eternal_renegade »

Hey... my name's... Sashikinaroji...
Rep:
Level 83
fear me...
i Would be happy to contribute whenever I can... Games have been my life for 10 years, and the thought of making them is why RMVX made me so estatic!

Perhaps the first thing we should tackle is when the story is placed... When and what is the things we need to know, that is, are we looking at: A distopian future? A utopian past? A balanced present?

After that, we can get a better handle on what we want in ways of a story...
Ok, DON'T EXPECT HELP FROM ME~! I will perhaps rant a bit, but don't expect me to do graphics for you, even if I say I will... I won't.

Rep:
Level 84
Is a New Zealander
I can be a beta tester.

;)
I'm much too lazy to put an actual signature here.

Rep:
Level 90
i Would be happy to contribute whenever I can... Games have been my life for 10 years, and the thought of making them is why RMVX made me so estatic!

Perhaps the first thing we should tackle is when the story is placed... When and what is the things we need to know, that is, are we looking at: A distopian future? A utopian past? A balanced present?

After that, we can get a better handle on what we want in ways of a story...

I like your ambition! :)
For me those would be called the "setting" for the story. I am not saying that is a bad thing, it is absolutely necessary. The setting can be included in a pitch. From my experience however, the most import aspect of a story is character development.

[EDIT: In terms of story for instance, is it a love story? Like the relationship between two people and the problems they encounter. Or is it a revenge story propelled by much action, why does this character want revenge? Who are they avenging? etc etc.]

We can talk more if you'd like too, we can toss ideas back and forth. Just send a PM!

I can be a beta tester.

;)

Thanks for the offer. Currently there is no need for beta testing as of yet, but once there is I'll be sure to let you know!

------

I just thought of an idea to go along with this that could be a benefit to the community. If this works out, we might be able to set up something and get the community involved. (And I don't mean a community game exactly.) But here is the idea: "The RMRK Short Games Project"

I might be getting ahead of myself here, but think about what that could mean. I'll think about this more when we get to working on our project/s.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 07:49:42 AM by eternal_renegade »

Rep:
Level 83
fear me...
Yeah, I can tell we work exactly backwards of each other so far, haha!

I start with the timeframe and setting, then move on to characters, then, from there, I figure out how they would interact, and the story comes last, focused around who I have and where I am... Now that I have it written  down, that seems like a terrible way to go about things... My English teacher would be pissed off at me if she could see me now...

Yes, well, I've always been fond of utopian past, but taht's been done to death... For that matter, so has most of the future genres... I suppose we can do a historical fiction piece? I always have wanted to do something like that... Perhaps base it in a real and dangerous time in the world history... Like during a world war perhaps?

And, if that's the case, it would likely be and action-adventure with a romance subplot mixed in for good measure. None of that falling for the enemy BS though... Too cliche, even for my tastes...
Ok, DON'T EXPECT HELP FROM ME~! I will perhaps rant a bit, but don't expect me to do graphics for you, even if I say I will... I won't.

Rep:
Level 90
Well going with your idea there. I would probably base it off of war in general. For something a little more intimate that challenges the character, I would go with a civil war.

Love Story Outline:

-Man loves Woman
-Separated by a civil war (She's either on the other side of this war or he is drafted)
-He writes to her, and she rights back.
-He has been in battle for 6 months time now, and the only thing keeping him moving forward is their love and his will to protect her.
-He gets notice of a distress and makes his way back home
-Shes dead, and most of the town has been destroyed.
-He must go on living but how?

[Edit: But yes, if you don't mind. Let's leave this in the PMs or start another topic for this sorta stuff. That way, we don't clutter up this space which is intended for others to take interest and apply. I will update the first post however with your name in it.]
« Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 10:53:59 AM by eternal_renegade »

Rep:
Level 81
Why can't life kiss my ass instead of bite it??
Hey im very interested in helpin out. iv been obssessed with designing games for years but due to lack of help iv never finnished a project. This would be a great way of knowing iv helped design and FINNISH many games lol
currently creating a game now and designing the sound, music, chipsets and charsets for it. Its all very simple though. The game starts with the artist (me) opening a pad of paper and drawing a stickman. he comes to life and my hand as you progress through draws other things down and you fight other stickmen. solve puzzles, play minigames.
At the moment theres not much of a plot im just getting the main things done first. Because its a comedy feel the sounds and music will all be done with my voice. music will be done with many files each concisting of different instruments so when I merge it all together it should all sound good yet kinda funny  ;)

I have many ideas going through my head and seeing as you want to bounce ideas off each other then thats great!! cus im good at creating visual ideas and small ideas but find it hard when it comes to creating a full on story, and so require someone to help spark other ideas off otherwise I just hit a brick wall.
I love mapping and eventing. I wouldnt say im a master at it but im not exactly a noob either. been using rm2k and rmxp for years now. I'm a perfectionist so if I feel theres a problem with something I will point it out.
I'm good at scripting conversations but that comes from studying theatre and getting a degree in it lol  ;D I can send you part of a script iv been writing for a play if you would like to see what my ideas are kinda like. I'll give you the link to another page on this site as well.
I have two ideas up for people to give their oppinions on, i'll run them by you so again you can see what im like.
http://rmrk.net/index.php/topic,38117.0.html

About the war idea I saw you talking about earlyer. I would say if its about a war dont base it on an actual war like ww2 or any cival wars that have happened because they have been done to death!! Seriously games like them have been coming out since the ZX spectrum was on sale lol sick of seeing those games.
If you wer to tackle war give it a different look, a different feel to it. something new and fresh....tricky i know but its also very easy to fall into the comfort zone.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 01:58:22 PM by redhead87 »

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
Project of the Month winner for June 2009
lol, apparently blue type is extremely difficult to read in the dark theme .__.

Rep:
Level 90
About the war idea I saw you talking about earlyer. I would say if its about a war dont base it on an actual war like ww2 or any cival wars that have happened because they have been done to death!! Seriously games like them have been coming out since the ZX spectrum was on sale lol sick of seeing those games.
If you wer to tackle war give it a different look, a different feel to it. something new and fresh....tricky i know but its also very easy to fall into the comfort zone.

I understand, but the story is not about a war, it would be about the love between two people. I understand what you are saying though. But we haven't decided on a story for the game yet. So we'll just keep coming up with more ideas for different stories then when we find something we're happy with, then we can begin to develop it. :)

I'll add you to the list.

Rep:
Level 84
Will you join me in the dark side...?
This sounds easy, and can be interesting...I'm totally in on this.
Anyway, i can be maper/eventer.
My Puzzle/StandAlone game in a week:

Rep:
Level 81
RMRK Master
I'll help with creating the games! I know my profile on here doesn't look like what you may be looking for, but that's because I just joined this site. I have actually been making my own game for about 3-4 months! So, I'm applying!
..........|¯•¸_¸,.•”ˆ¯....Thundercow....¯ˆ“•.,¸_¸•¯|..........
¯•_¹ˆ¯•ˆ¯¯±¸_Thunderclan WÅrrÏØr_¸±¯¯ˆ•¯ˆ²_•¯

Epequest
Game-25% complete
Demo-99% complete

Rep:
Level 83
fear me...
I'll help with creating the games! I know my profile on here doesn't look like what you may be looking for, but that's because I just joined this site. I have actually been making my own game for about 3-4 months! So, I'm applying!

I thank you for your entusiasm, but what area do you want to help with? Creating games is a pretty broad term... Do you wanna help in story? Mapping? Eventing? Scripting? Character design? What?