RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
[XP] Masamune Exploration: The Spirit Ship [OFFICIAL Thread]

Raped by DrSword
Rep:
Level 83
Dance with the enemy
Contestant - GIAW 10Contestant - GIAW 9
Welcome to the Official Masamune Exploration: Spirit Ship thread.
This is an RP title I've been working on for quite some time now, and It's nearly finished, With a full release in the Summer.

Storyline
Spoiler for:
A 17 year old boy called Masamune finds himself on a ship after a hole has been ripped in the very fabric of time.
This is no ordinary ship though.... It's a Ship driven by the mysterious Captain Lambart, who seems to know a LOT about the catastrophe....
The reason why this catastrophe (Named the 'Reality Crisis') happened was because a man, simply known as The Chancellor, wanted to be the World's greatest fighter and be the top Samurai, and so he killed the top 10 Samurai, except one. Master Osha was too powerful for The Chancellor and decided to revive all The Samurai. This included Masamune's Father. After Master Osha revived the Samurai, The Chancellor's son came from the Dark World and took the 10 Samurai's lives. All this caused The Reality Crisis and then Masamune and a girl named Teia were transported to a ship. This was no coincidence though.... this was fate....
The Masamune Trilogy continues this whole story.

Characters
Spoiler for:
Masamune
The 17 year old hero

Teia
Masamune's friend who he travels with

Kane
A 16 year old boy who Masamune saves from a cave

Osha
The Spellcaster who's heavily involved with the storyline

Blake
Sorry, If I spoke about this Character then you'd be spoiled

Characteristics/Races
Spoiler for:
Spellcasters: These have up to three lives, once they've died, they can either jump into their next life there and then or wait until they think the time is right

Screenshots
Spoiler for:

Demo
Alternatively, see attatched

If there's anything else you need to know before you play it, just say so and I'll add it.

EDIT: Due to (slightly) popular demand, some screens have been added. Battles and menu system coming soon.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 03:29:51 PM by modern algebra »

Rep: +0/-0Level 82
Honestly I don't think very many people will download it without seeing any screen shots.  That's a pretty big decider in whether anyone wants to play the game, so I'd consider adding some.

edit: I downloaded it but I can't play, as there's an error that says the rgss102e.dll could not be found.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2010, 11:53:56 PM by passededge »

Rep:
Level 84
Will you join me in the dark side...?
yes show us some screenshots, with some battle images, menus, and maps... :=)
My Puzzle/StandAlone game in a week:

Rep: +0/-0Level 82
I had to reinstall the rtp for some reason, but I was able to play it this time.

There's a couple issues I noticed, the first I'm not sure if it's intentional or not.

The first is that you can't walk down the stairs on the ship deck.  Well, you can go down the stairs that take you below deck, but you can't walk down the stairs that would simply lead to the back of the ship (I hope that made sense).

The second problem is a bigger issue.  The first fight I got into and won, it didn't change back to the map.  It just stayed on the battle screen after the victory, playing the map music.  So..you can't really do anything after that.

Aside from those two problems there's a couple pointers I can give you.

The first is the mapping.  The maps are big, but they're very sparsely furnished.  They look unnatural without any plants, or different terrain.  In most cases it looks like objects have just been thrown on for no apparent reason though, the most obvious being the chess piece on the ship.

The second suggestion is the story.  I'm not sure why I'm there.  I'm going from point a. to point b. without any idea of what I"m supposed to do, and without anything telling me why I'm going.

aside from all that critique, I enjoyed the new music I heard and after reading the story on this thread, I really like the idea.  So I hope you keep at it =)

Raped by DrSword
Rep:
Level 83
Dance with the enemy
I had to reinstall the rtp for some reason, but I was able to play it this time.

There's a couple issues I noticed, the first I'm not sure if it's intentional or not.

The first is that you can't walk down the stairs on the ship deck.  Well, you can go down the stairs that take you below deck, but you can't walk down the stairs that would simply lead to the back of the ship (I hope that made sense).

The second problem is a bigger issue.  The first fight I got into and won, it didn't change back to the map.  It just stayed on the battle screen after the victory, playing the map music.  So..you can't really do anything after that.

Aside from those two problems there's a couple pointers I can give you.

The first is the mapping.  The maps are big, but they're very sparsely furnished.  They look unnatural without any plants, or different terrain.  In most cases it looks like objects have just been thrown on for no apparent reason though, the most obvious being the chess piece on the ship.

The second suggestion is the story.  I'm not sure why I'm there.  I'm going from point a. to point b. without any idea of what I"m supposed to do, and without anything telling me why I'm going.

aside from all that critique, I enjoyed the new music I heard and after reading the story on this thread, I really like the idea.  So I hope you keep at it =)
The weird ship part is intentional, and the story part is sort of explained as the game carries on.

I've fixed the Battle problem, the new Demo should be out soon, with Improved maps.

Raped by DrSword
Rep:
Level 83
Dance with the enemy
Update May 13th 2010

Development is on hold for now until I get my Laptop fixed, the game has been delayed until Autumn. The game is about 96% done

Raped by DrSword
Rep:
Level 83
Dance with the enemy
Major Update June 17th

Development is fully back on.
99% Done (basically, I need to add variables where they should be used).

New Battle System
New Menu

I'm pinning July for the full version release

Rep:
Level 81
it's time to poke
This game kind of pissed me off.

The battle thing that Passededge was talking about was freaking annoying. I had to escape every battle or risk the game freezing after I finished.

The maps were a pain in the ass to navigate, with the stairways on the ship making no sense at all. Why do I get carried belowdecks when I'm trying to go up a ladder to talk to the helmsman?

The battler graphic for the main character is kind of ugly, but that's not really too much of a gripe because the artwork is at least original.

The main character's sprite needs to have the transparency adjusted, because there are some patches of light blue that should be set to semi-transparent (or otherwise edited).

The windowskin is somewhat obnoxious, especially the cursor. I am having trouble reading behind it.

To sum it all up, the gameplay is kind of a mess, and I didn't feel like playing through very much because a lot of the stuff either didn't make sense, or it frustrated me.

Raped by DrSword
Rep:
Level 83
Dance with the enemy
This game kind of pissed me off.

The battle thing that Passededge was talking about was freaking annoying. I had to escape every battle or risk the game freezing after I finished.

The maps were a pain in the ass to navigate, with the stairways on the ship making no sense at all. Why do I get carried belowdecks when I'm trying to go up a ladder to talk to the helmsman?

The battler graphic for the main character is kind of ugly, but that's not really too much of a gripe because the artwork is at least original.

The main character's sprite needs to have the transparency adjusted, because there are some patches of light blue that should be set to semi-transparent (or otherwise edited).

The windowskin is somewhat obnoxious, especially the cursor. I am having trouble reading behind it.

To sum it all up, the gameplay is kind of a mess, and I didn't feel like playing through very much because a lot of the stuff either didn't make sense, or it frustrated me.
Fair enough lol.
I'll release this title to an unexcited audience, then do the sequel.
Btw, after the ship it picks up, I don't like the Ship either.

Edit: Masamune is 100% finished.

Now, for the Ship's explanation.

The Ship is meant to be weird like that, you work out why later on since if I told you all now it'd be a massive spoiler.
It's meant to be a mystery, you find out the mysteries as Masamune finds them out.
I really like that type of gameplay since I fell like I'm really in the game, finding out at the same time the main character does.
If you don't like that gameplay style, that's fine, but that's how I've made it.

Now, since I've had people saying how bad this game is, I've decided to face-lift the whole system for the sequel.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2010, 09:19:28 AM by skaraflame »

pokeball NPCOfflineMale
Rep:
Level 84
Asking you to rescue princesses since '05
The mapping was horrendous, the dialog was awkward. I got to the first random encounter, and after beating both wolves heard victory music but nothing happened, no ext, no gold, no nothing, the game just stuck. I tried again and the same thing happened. So, I try the game again this time running each time. Finally I reach a boss battle and am forced to fight... I kill i in 1 hit, and the game messes up again and doesn't exit the battle.

I do have to give you props on one thing though, you may have actually made a game worse than Phillip's was.
Why do 1 lined nameless NPCs never get taken seriously?

Skaraflame, do you want me to fix that bug?

Raped by DrSword
Rep:
Level 83
Dance with the enemy
The mapping was horrendous, the dialog was awkward. I got to the first random encounter, and after beating both wolves heard victory music but nothing happened, no ext, no gold, no nothing, the game just stuck. I tried again and the same thing happened. So, I try the game again this time running each time. Finally I reach a boss battle and am forced to fight... I kill i in 1 hit, and the game messes up again and doesn't exit the battle.

I do have to give you props on one thing though, you may have actually made a game worse than Phillip's was.
lol you're a proper funny guy XD
the best part is the mapping part XD

I like how you're basing this on two qualities.
-The first 10 minutes of the whole game (it takes over an hour to complete).
-A glitch that I have actually fixed XD

lol keep these comments coming, I'll probably be on the floor at your opinion on the finished version XD

Valdred, Ive fixed the glitch AND added a new battle system

Rep:
Level 98
2010 Best Veteran2014 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2014 King of RMRK2014 Favorite Staff Member2014 Best Counsel2014 Best Writer2014 Most Mature Member2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2013 Favorite Staff MemberSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.Secret Santa 2012 Participant2011 Best Writer2011 Best Counsel2010 Funniest Member2010 Best Writer
Your mapping is horrid. The rest looks alright though. :(
you awoke in a burning paperhouse
from the infinite fields of dreamless sleep

Raped by DrSword
Rep:
Level 83
Dance with the enemy
Your mapping is horrid. The rest looks alright though. :(
LOL! I love people that say stuff like that XD
That's very early in the game. Plus, they'll annoy you so much you'll complete in av hour (just you, no-one else).