RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Generic RPG Maker XP Game

Rep:
Level 85

Once upon a time, a novice game designer became frustrated by the lack of time, money, and resources
available for use in his long-awaited RPG Maker XP project and, in a fit of rage, smashed his head through
a wooden desk. After undergoing extensive physical therapy for several months in order to cope with his
severe head trauma, he awoke to discover that he had been gifted with a second sight...
a sight that told him what his next great project would be.

Meet Generic RPG Maker XP Guy, casual resident and self-proclaimed douche of Generic RPG Maker XP
Village. He's rude, he's crude, and he doesn't care who knows it - he'll crush (verbally, anyway)
anyone who crosses his path, and he's ready to set out on the generic adventure of a lifetime. Taking out
monsters and protecting the innocent is but a pipe dream to him compared to the thrill of adding insults
to his repertoire and new victims to act as the butt of every joke. Nothing is off-limits in this world,
so put up your dukes, cover your groin, and get ready to jump on in.

Includes screenshots

Version 0.03 (Demo)

Please feel free to post any questions or comments and notify me of any bugs or errors, including spelling. =)
« Last Edit: April 06, 2010, 04:08:04 AM by Xelrog T. Apocalypse »

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
Project of the Month winner for June 2009
Hmm... I think that because the game feels like a parody on all basic RPGXP games, that the maps are fine as they are since as generic as they come is what you have, but if you just wanted to have a generic plot line using generic characters but good maps, then I would only suggest looking up some map tuts. Not that any of your maps are bad, they're just a bit boring, which I think is fine considering the theme here.

Also, is this finished or being worked on? I'll move it to finished if it is finished.

Rep:
Level 85
Oh no, not nearly completed. Hence the "Demo" and v0.03. I really just wanted to gauge people's initial reactions to the idea and get any immediate criticisms and flaws, such as yours, out of the way rather than waiting and having to upturn the entire game halfway through.

I know that my mapping isn't the best around, due mostly to the fact that I'm not very good with minor details, like scattering vines and shrubbery and decorations and whatnot. -_- It's not that I don't know what to do, I just don't have the sense of style for it. But I can always practice up and try to improve the current and future maps from here - thanks for the commentary.

And if you didn't actually download the game, bad screenshot selection might also be a fault of mine. I didn't pay a lot of attention to it before, but a number of the map screenshots look like they were taken in areas where two maps meet. The game transfers between maps without any fading, so the first 10 pixels of a map are limited in that they can't include any tiles that aren't in the adjacent map's tileset.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 06:20:53 AM by Xelrog T. Apocalypse »

Rep:
Level 85
I solve practical problems.
For taking arms in the name of your breakfast.
This is  a good idea :3

for more ideas of cliches and stuff, check out this topic

http://rmrk.net/index.php/topic,32306.msg395602.html#msg395602

also as grafikal said, try to prettify your maps with ground cover, just mess around with flowers and stuff, then you'll figure it out XD

Rep:
Level 85
I've never even heard of nearly half of those, much less seen them used... but, whatever, can't say it was a fruitless read, either. Thanks for the link.

Rep:
Level 85
I solve practical problems.
For taking arms in the name of your breakfast.
no problemo, and nice title :3

Rep:
Level 85
I've found a few bugs in the demo I posted (I suppose I shouldn't have placed so much faith in my playtester), so for those of you who haven't downloaded it yet, you may want to wait until I upload the fixed version later today.

EDIT: Uploaded the fixed version and replaced the link. Also note the new mini-site.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2010, 04:08:48 AM by Xelrog T. Apocalypse »