RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Possible cataclymsic solar storm in 2012!

Meet me in the middle
Rep:
Level 89
or left of the dial.
For frequently finding and reporting spam and spam botsSecret Santa 2012 Participant
Not long ago, a report quoting many NASA scientists was issued by the National Academy of Science, the highest scientific advisory body to the United States Congress. The report said something that used to be unthinkable: our own sun could have a temper tantrum that would unleash a tsunami of radiation from outer space, potentially wiping out our space satellites, wiping out power lines, and leaving entire continents without power.

This means that your refrigerator and freezer wouldn't have any electricity, leaving food to rot and creating food shortages around the world. Communication systems and power systems worldwide could be wiped out for months at a time. Something this large would cause not just a localized but rather a continent-wide power outage.

An event of this magnitude may seem hard to grasp, but just remember that every eleven years the sun flips with respect to its magnetic field (North becomes South and South becomes North) and releases a burst of radiation directed toward outer space, including Earth, and that this burst could endanger our communication systems. We forget that the space age is very young; we've only had a few of these sunspot cycles to worry about, and for the most part we have dodged the bullet.

Most of the radiation that has been emitted over previous cycles has missed the earth (thank goodness), but in 1859 there was a solar storm which paralyzed our telegraph wires and was the largest geomagnetic storm in recorded history. Back then we only had telegraph, and our telegraph wires were quite sturdy. From that event we can calculate how massive the solar storm was, and it was a whopper! In fact, if that solar storm of 1859 were to hit us today it would cause (according to the report) up to a trillion dollars in property damage and hundreds of billions of dollars in damage for each of the countries that were affected. Food riots would break out, collapse of government...and there would be no cavalry coming to the rescue because the cavalry would also lose its power and ability to communicate. Transformers could get wiped out, meaning that whole continents would not have electrical power. We’d essentially be back to the way we were in 1859. Gone too would be the satellites controlling most of our luxuries today, including communication, television, radio, and the Internet where you are reading this very blog.

This is the nightmare scenario. So when might this happen? You guessed it: the year 2012, the next peaking of our sun’s solar cycle. The report, however, is careful to say that this may in fact not happen. It's inevitable, however, that at some time or another it will happen again. Think about Katrina: prior to 2005, a lot of people knew that Katrina-type hurricanes could wipe out the levees in New Orleans. It was a well-known fact, but nobody did anything because everyone said "Let the next Administration—let the next sucker deal with it." Well, unfortunately the next sucker was us, and we had to foot the multi-billion dollar bill of Katrina. Now scientists are saying that a possible Katrina from outer space—potentially many, many times more disastrous—could hit the earth, and it's inevitable that it will happen.

So why not reinforce our satellites—and our power systems—today?

Much as with Katrina, it pays to do certain things now because we do face the inevitable. For example, even though satellites currently in outer space cannot be reinforced, the next generation of satellites should be reinforced to withstand the full brunt of the solar winds and solar flares. Also, on Earth, power stations and especially transformers should be insulated and reinforced so as to be able to withstand radiation coming from outer space. This is not rocket science; we know how to do it and the technology is already there - it's just a question of political will. Some people say "Nah...I mean, it might happen in a few decades, but not on my watch." Well, it will happen, and when it does—watch out! We're talking about trillions of dollars in property damage per year.

Again, it pays to do certain things now because we do face the inevitable. Lets hope we dodge the bullet the next time the sun decides to have a temper tantrum.
Solar storms, LHC, and end-of-the-world conspiracy theorists. Must be 2012.

edit: Wait, how many different apocalypse settings are now supposed to take place in 2012? About 50? Gonna be a fun year. :V

Rep:
Level 85
I solve practical problems.
For taking arms in the name of your breakfast.
yes quite :/
We should all cower in our basements until the year is over....I'm just saying

Rep:
Level 94
2012 Most Attractive Male MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for June 20092010 Best Counsel
Source please.

Meet me in the middle
Rep:
Level 89
or left of the dial.
For frequently finding and reporting spam and spam botsSecret Santa 2012 Participant

Rep:
Level 102
2014 Biggest Narcissist Award2014 Biggest Forum Potato2014 Best Non-RM Creator2013 Best Game Creator (Non-RM)2013 Best IRC ChatterboxParticipant - GIAW 112012 Best Use Of Avatar and Signature space2012 Funniest Member2012 Most Successful Troll2012 Best IRC ChatterboxSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for November 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2010 Biggest Forum Couch Potato2010 Most Successful Troll2010 Best IRC Chatterbox
Yeah. I heard about this two years ago.

Rep:
Level 94
2012 Most Attractive Male MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for June 20092010 Best Counsel
Michio Kaku is one of my heroes. I've read tons of his stuff before. If this is really by him, it's legitimate.

Rep:
Level 97
Definitely better than Hitler.
2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2014 Best Musician2013 Funniest Member2013 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2013 Best Musician2013 King of RMRKFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Musician2012 Best UsernameFor frequent good quality Wiki writing [citation needed]2011 Funniest MemberMost entertaining member on the IRC2011 Best Musician2010 Most Missed Member
I will be so :mad: if this happens. :mad: :mad:
:tinysmile:

Rep:
Level 85
Yeah no RMRK  ;9 ;9 ;9

Rep:
Level 102
2014 Biggest Narcissist Award2014 Biggest Forum Potato2014 Best Non-RM Creator2013 Best Game Creator (Non-RM)2013 Best IRC ChatterboxParticipant - GIAW 112012 Best Use Of Avatar and Signature space2012 Funniest Member2012 Most Successful Troll2012 Best IRC ChatterboxSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for November 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2010 Biggest Forum Couch Potato2010 Most Successful Troll2010 Best IRC Chatterbox
It's okay. Roph makes backups of RMRK and stores the drive inside a 10 foot thick concrete container surrounded by steel. :]

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
Project of the Month winner for June 2009
Michio Kaku is one of my heroes. I've read tons of his stuff before. If this is really by him, it's legitimate.

all of this.

Rep:
Level 96
2010 Most Attractive Male Member2010 Best Musician
April fools.

:tinysmile::tinysmile:

Rep:
Level 85
WHAT O_____O

but but....... :/

I do like how backups are stored in 10 feet of concrete, that would work, except radiation from the sun at that level would get through that XD

try lead it works better :P

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
Project of the Month winner for June 2009
it'll also poison the shit out of you.

p.s. I can't wait for 2012. I feel like it's going to be a big let down for a lot of people.

Full Metal Mod - He will pillage your women!
Rep:
Level 93
The RGSS Dude
it'll also poison the shit out of you.

p.s. I can't wait for 2012. I feel like it's going to be a big let down for a lot of people.

Hahaha, "Damn, we didn't die!"...

... actually, 2012 might be a really fun year for me xD.
"The wonderful thing about Tiggers
Is Tiggers are wonderful things
Their tops are made out of rubber
Their bottoms are made out of springs

They’re bouncy, trouncy, flouncy, pouncy
Fun, fun, fun, fun, fun!
But the most wonderful thing about Tiggers
Is I’m the only one, I’m the only one."

Furry Philosopher
Rep:
Level 94
Rawr?
2013 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)Gold - GIAW 11 (Hard)Randomizer - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2012 Best RPG Maker User (Mapping)2012 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantGold - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for September 2008For taking a crack at the RMRK Wiki2011 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)2011 Best Veteran2011 Kindest Member2010 Best RPG Maker User (Events)2010 Best RPG Maker User (Story)
Oh shit, we're going to die. o.o

Rep:
Level 83
2012 is the new Y2K...
Spoiler for:
METALFRESH is a paint contractor that specializes in refinishing metal and vinyl siding. We paint metal buildings as well as siding on homes.

We also

Refinish decks
    Do custom interior painting
    Strip wallpaper
    Refinish cedar siding
    Metal front doors and sidelights
    Metal garage and service doors
    Grained fiberglass doors

If your structure is *RUSTED *FADED *CHALKING *IN NEED OF COLOR CHANGE, we can fix it with a guarentee!

northern Illinois and southern Wisconsin.

http://metalfreshcoatings.com

Rep:
Level 85
It would be 2.12K? :P