RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Republicans re-write history.

Meet me in the middle
Rep:
Level 89
or left of the dial.
For frequently finding and reporting spam and spam botsSecret Santa 2012 Participant
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/13/education/13texas.html
Texas Approves Curriculum Revised by Conservatives
By JAMES C. McKINLEY Jr.
Published: March 12, 2010

AUSTIN, Tex. — After three days of turbulent meetings, the Texas Board of Education on Friday voted to approve a social studies curriculum that will put a conservative stamp on history and economics textbooks, stressing the superiority of American capitalism, questioning the Founding Father’s commitment to a purely secular government and presenting Republican political philosophies in a more positive light.

In recent years, board members have been locked in an ideological battle between a bloc of conservatives who question Darwin’s theory of evolution and believe the Founding Fathers were guided by Christian principles and a handful of Democrats and moderate Republicans who have fought to preserve the teaching of Darwinism and the separation of church and state.

Since January, Republicans on the board have passed more than 160 amendments to the 120-page curriculum standards affecting history, sociology and economics courses from elementary to high school. The standards were proposed by a board of teachers.

Efforts by Hispanic board members to include more Latino figures as role models for the state’s large Hispanic population were consistently defeated, prompting one member, Mary Helen Berlanga, to storm out of a meeting late Thursday night, saying, “They can just pretend this is a white America and Hispanics don’t exist.”

“They are going overboard, they are not experts, they are not historians,” she said. “They are rewriting history, not only of Texas but of the United States and the world.”

There are seven members of the conservative bloc on the board, but they are often joined by one of the other three Republicans on crucial votes. There were no historians, sociologists or economists consulted at the meetings, though some members of the conservative bloc held themselves out as experts on certain topics.

The conservative members maintain that they are trying to correct what they see as a liberal bias among the teachers who proposed the curriculum. To that end, they made dozens of minor changes aimed at calling into question, among other things, concepts like the separation of church and state and the secular nature of the American Revolution.

“I reject the notion by the left of a constitutional separation of church and state,” said David Bradley, a conservative from Beaumont who works in real estate. “I have $1,000 for the charity of your choice if you can find it in the Constitution.”

They also included a plank to ensure that students learn about “the conservative resurgence of the 1980s and 1990s, including Phyllis Schalfly, the Contract With America, the Heritage Foundation, the Moral Majority and the National Rifle Association.”

Dr. McLeroy pushed through a change to the teaching of the civil rights movement to ensure that students study the violent philosophy of the Black Panthers in addition to the Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s nonviolent approach. He also made sure that textbooks would mention the votes in Congress on civil rights legislation, which Republicans supported.

“Republicans need a little credit for that,” he said. “I think it’s going to surprise some students.”

Mr. Bradley won approval for an amendment saying students should study “the unintended consequences” of the Great Society legislation, affirmative action and Title IX legislation. He also won approval for an amendment stressing that Germans and Italians were interned in the United States as well as the Japanese during World War II, to counter the idea that the internment of Japanese was motivated by racism.

Other changes seem aimed at tamping down criticism of the right. Conservatives passed one amendment, for instance, requiring that the history of McCarthyism include “how the later release of the Venona papers confirmed suspicions of communist infiltration in U.S. government.” The Venona papers were transcripts of some 3,000 communications between the Soviet Union and its agents in the United States.

In economics, the revisions add Milton Friedman and Friedrich von Hayek, two champions of free-market economic theory, among the usual list of economists to be studied, like Adam Smith, Karl Marx and John Maynard Keynes. They also replaced the word “capitalism” throughout their texts with the “free-enterprise system.”

“Let’s face it, capitalism does have a negative connotation,” said one conservative member, Terri Leo. “You know, ‘capitalist pig!’ ”

In the field of sociology, another conservative member, Barbara Cargill, won passage of an amendment requiring the teaching of “the importance of personal responsibility for life choices” in a section on teen suicide, dating violence, sexuality, drug use and eating disorders.

“The topic of sociology tends to blame society for everything,” Ms. Cargill said.

Cynthia Dunbar, a lawyer from Richmond who is a strict constitutionalist and thinks the nation was founded on Christian beliefs, managed to cut Thomas Jefferson from a list of figures whose writings inspired revolutions in the late 18th century and 19th century, replacing him with St. Thomas Aquinas, John Calvin and William Blackstone. (Jefferson is not well liked among the conservatives on the board because he coined the term “separation between church and state.”)

“The Enlightenment was not the only philosophy on which these revolutions were based,” Ms. Dunbar said.

Mavis B. Knight, a Democrat from Dallas, introduced an amendment requiring that students study the reasons “the founding fathers protected religious freedom in America by barring the government from promoting or disfavoring any particular religion above all others.”

It was defeated on a party-line vote.

Texas' bigotry is god damn ridiculous. It's ironic that republicans always say they "love America" while berating those who question their government. America was founded because of people questioning their government. You can't have a "pro America" banner then try to fucking rewrite American history. This is one of those instances where a book burning might be justified, being they're school textbooks full of right-wing propaganda.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2010, 07:03:00 PM by Firerain »

Crew Slut
Rep:
Level 93
You'll love it!
For taking a crack at the RMRK Wiki
It's like bizarro world. I mean, it's okay to want to shine some light on the good things your group has done, but changing the entire curriculum and distorting the views of the founding fathers is going way too far.

Only in Texas, my friend, only in Texas.

Rep:
Level 102
2014 Best Non-RM Creator2014 Biggest Forum Potato2014 Biggest Narcissist Award2013 Best IRC Chatterbox2013 Best Game Creator (Non-RM)Participant - GIAW 112012 Most Successful Troll2012 Funniest Member2012 Best Use Of Avatar and Signature space2012 Best IRC ChatterboxSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for November 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2010 Best IRC Chatterbox2010 Biggest Forum Couch Potato2010 Most Successful Troll
So now schools are less left.

Crew Slut
Rep:
Level 93
You'll love it!
Because Texas schools were so left to begin with.

Rep:
Level 102
2014 Best Non-RM Creator2014 Biggest Forum Potato2014 Biggest Narcissist Award2013 Best IRC Chatterbox2013 Best Game Creator (Non-RM)Participant - GIAW 112012 Most Successful Troll2012 Funniest Member2012 Best Use Of Avatar and Signature space2012 Best IRC ChatterboxSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for November 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2010 Best IRC Chatterbox2010 Biggest Forum Couch Potato2010 Most Successful Troll
Did you go to one? The schools I went to here in Tennessee were filled with leftist views, despite the majority of people in this state voting republican.

Schools should be neutral.

Rep:
Level 98
2010 Best Veteran2014 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2014 King of RMRK2014 Favorite Staff Member2014 Best Counsel2014 Best Writer2014 Most Mature Member2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2013 Favorite Staff MemberSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.Secret Santa 2012 Participant2011 Best Writer2011 Best Counsel2010 Best IRC Chatterbox2010 Best Writer
Having probably one of the few active people here that has actually been through the Texas education system, unlike the starter of this thread who doesn't even live in America, I can fully say that there is absolutely no set-guidance of Leftist Rightist teaching in any of our classes. Needless to say, the TBE can approve anything they want, but it divides down from State Approval, to Region Approval, to Cluster Approval and in the end individual school approval. They've done this before and it ended up being used in one or two schools. AHS, at the time I was there, had refused to teach something the TBE passed over something regarding politics.

You guys act like this is drawing black lines through our books and saying 'X NEVER HAPPENED' when in actuality it's just going to ask, not demand, teachers to teach more on the Republican-Focused bullshit that doesn't even matter.

Either way, read the last damn line. It was defeated because we're not all fuckups. People like this live in every state, every district, every fucking country.
you awoke in a burning paperhouse
from the infinite fields of dreamless sleep

Crew Slut
Rep:
Level 93
You'll love it!
I was a rather harsh with the bizarro world and distortion comment. I'm half reading this story and only half read it before, so I apologize for the presumptuous statement. I think Church and State should be separated but other than that I agree with the people quoted. If they are trying to correct a liberal bias in the curriculum this should be a welcomed thing.

Also, I'm actually homeschooled. I really shouldn't be talking about the state of Texas school systems, especially since I've never been in a school to begin with.

Rep:
Level 96
2010 Most Attractive Male Member2010 Best Musician
Having probably one of the few active people here that has actually been through the Texas education system, unlike the starter of this thread who doesn't even live in America, I can fully say that there is absolutely no set-guidance of Leftist Rightist teaching in any of our classes. Needless to say, the TBE can approve anything they want, but it divides down from State Approval, to Region Approval, to Cluster Approval and in the end individual school approval. They've done this before and it ended up being used in one or two schools. AHS, at the time I was there, had refused to teach something the TBE passed over something regarding politics.

You guys act like this is drawing black lines through our books and saying 'X NEVER HAPPENED' when in actuality it's just going to ask, not demand, teachers to teach more on the Republican-Focused bullshit that doesn't even matter.

Either way, read the last damn line. It was defeated because we're not all fuckups. People like this live in every state, every district, every fucking country.
<3

Especially the part about people who don't live in America complaining about America. We have a problem with that, here.

:tinysmile::tinysmile:

( ´ิ(ꈊ) ´ิ) ((≡^⚲͜^≡)) (ી(΄◞ิ౪◟ิ‵)ʃ)
Rep:
Level 102
(っ˘ڡ˘ς) ʕ•̼͛͡•ʕ-̺͛͡•ʔ•̮͛͡•ʔ (*ꆤ.̫ꆤ*)
2014 Avast Ye Merry Pirate!2013 Avast Ye Merry Pirate Award2012 Avast Ye Merry Pirate AwardFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2011 Most Unsung Member2011 Avast Ye Merry Pirate2010 Avast Ye Merry Pirate Award
Did you go to one? The schools I went to here in Tennessee were filled with leftist views, despite the majority of people in this state voting republican.

To the average indoctrinated glenn beck loving republican, anything they don't agree with or anyone who doesn't agree with them is "left".
bringing sexy back

Rep:
Level 102

To the average indoctrinated glenn beck loving republican, anything they don't agree with or anyone who doesn't agree with them is "left".
Things that the are considered left are non-conservative and more liberal; larger government, more taxes, etc. People generally have a pretty good idea of what it means, but politics that a conservative would disagree with are more often than not actually left of center, since that person leans to the right. This is common sense. Left and right are rarely misused and even if they are there's no reason why those on the right would misuse it any more than those on the left. :]

Crew Slut
Rep:
Level 93
You'll love it!
The United States gets such a bad rap, especially from much smaller countries about how easy it is for them and how poor of a job we do. If you have never lived* in the United States and just pick and choose your sources of information to which happen to fall into your modus operandi, you will always be just as ignorant as the ignorant folks you so despise. Secondly, Canadians should stick to their hockey, 'cause that's what they do best and with all do respect, because without canucks I wouldn't be alive. Finally, Portuguese should continue to stimulate the Seafood market, because I love seafood. :)
*This is worth italicizing because if you do not live here you cannot comprehend what it's like as opposed to those who actually do, and pick and choose their sources based on their personal experiences living in the country.

Also, it's probably worth noting that the NY Times is supposedly a very Liberal newspaper.

>o>
Rep:
Level 88
me
Aren't all American political parties in the blue on the political compass? You know, as in right wing (economics) authoritarians.

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
2013 Best ArtistParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Game Creator (Non-RM Programs)~Bronze - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for December 2009Project of the Month winner for August 20082011 Best Game Creator (Non RM)Gold - GIAW Halloween
Aren't all American political parties in the blue on the political compass? You know, as in right wing (economics) authoritarians.

not the GREEN PARTY :V

FCF3a A+ C- D H- M P+ R T W- Z- Sf RLCT a cmn+++ d++ e++ f h+++ iw+++ j+ p sf+
Follow my project: MBlok | Find me on: Bandcamp | Twitter | Patreon

>o>
Rep:
Level 88
me
Of course, but it's not as if anybody recognises them as a viable option. It's the same in Australia and I suspect in many countries. Two parties get all the hype and the rest are ignored.

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
2013 Best ArtistParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Game Creator (Non-RM Programs)~Bronze - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for December 2009Project of the Month winner for August 20082011 Best Game Creator (Non RM)Gold - GIAW Halloween
yeah the bipartisan system is total bullshit.
note that even our FIRST president said it was going to be a bad idea :p

( ´ิ(ꈊ) ´ิ) ((≡^⚲͜^≡)) (ી(΄◞ิ౪◟ิ‵)ʃ)
Rep:
Level 102
(っ˘ڡ˘ς) ʕ•̼͛͡•ʕ-̺͛͡•ʔ•̮͛͡•ʔ (*ꆤ.̫ꆤ*)
2014 Avast Ye Merry Pirate!2013 Avast Ye Merry Pirate Award2012 Avast Ye Merry Pirate AwardFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2011 Most Unsung Member2011 Avast Ye Merry Pirate2010 Avast Ye Merry Pirate Award
bringing sexy back

Rep:
Level 102
Roph has been watching Alex Jones.

Rep:
Level 96
This kind of reminds me of how people go to college and take a course on Sociology and suddenly they think they know more than anyone else does about Sociology.

Rep:
Level 94
2012 Most Attractive Male MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for June 20092010 Best Counsel
It's more like when someone watches Dr. Phil and then thinks they're a psychologist.

Rep:
Level 98
2010 Best Veteran2014 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2014 King of RMRK2014 Favorite Staff Member2014 Best Counsel2014 Best Writer2014 Most Mature Member2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2013 Favorite Staff MemberSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.Secret Santa 2012 Participant2011 Best Writer2011 Best Counsel2010 Best IRC Chatterbox2010 Best Writer
You need to beat yer wife.
you awoke in a burning paperhouse
from the infinite fields of dreamless sleep

Rep:
Level 102
Or when someone watches Judge Joe Brown and suddenly they think they're an African American judge.

Rep:
Level 94
2012 Most Attractive Male MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for June 20092010 Best Counsel
Yeah, or when they watch Planet Earth and think they're a spider monkey.

Rep:
Level 96
Right, or when they watch Psych and think it's cool to make 90's pop culture references.

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
Right, or when they watch Family Guy and think it's cool to make obscure 90's and 80's pop culture references.