RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
More memory (or better CPU?)

Rep:
Level 88
Unoriginal text here.
I've got an HP Pavilion dv5z-1000 Notebook. It has 2 gigabytes of memory/RAM/whatev, and it runs alright. Faster than my previous laptop, anyway. Well, I want it to go even faster than "alright". I've heard RAM is the solution. But I know little about RAM. I can probably install a new RAM chip in the computer, but I don't know how to go about buying it.

What do I need to know about buying RAM? Other than varying chip size, is there anything else that varies about them? If so, how do I figure out what kind of chip will work with my notebook? How better would the performance be if I bought another gig? Are there any drawbacks to putting in more RAM? If so, what else should I add to my computer to prevent those drawbacks? Last but not least, where should I buy from? I know newegg is a good site.

Any help is appreciated.

EDIT: Looked some stuff up. Is it a better CPU that I'm looking for? I want things to run a bit faster.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2010, 01:26:00 AM by Animefan »

Last Stop
Rep:
Level 88
Everyone Off
Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantSilver - GIAW 10Silver - GIAW 92011 Biggest Drama WhoreBronze - GIAW HalloweenGold - Game In A Week VII
generally laptop ram ranges from being easily replaceable to a fixed amount.

after a little googling your ram should be 2 DDR2 1 gig sticks, you won't be able to buy just an extra gig. to get an improvement you'd need to buy 2, 2 gig sticks. no you can't, generally, just buy one 2 gig and use one of the 1gigs in the other slot.

as for ease of replacement, hp should have some documentation on how to do various things inside it on their website go and check it out.

( ´ิ(ꈊ) ´ิ) ((≡^⚲͜^≡)) (ી(΄◞ิ౪◟ิ‵)ʃ)
Rep:
Level 102
(っ˘ڡ˘ς) ʕ•̼͛͡•ʕ-̺͛͡•ʔ•̮͛͡•ʔ (*ꆤ.̫ꆤ*)
2014 Avast Ye Merry Pirate!2013 Avast Ye Merry Pirate Award2012 Avast Ye Merry Pirate AwardFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2011 Avast Ye Merry Pirate2011 Most Unsung Member2010 Avast Ye Merry Pirate Award
I have a HP Pavilion notebook. On mine (and any other model I'm aware of) one of the "sticks" of ram is soldered directly to the main board. the second one actually is an SODIMM stick and is changable / replacable.

2GB is enough anyway. And you can't change your notebook's processor (not easily, anyway). It's simpler to just replace the notebook, or just put up with it.
bringing sexy back

Last Stop
Rep:
Level 88
Everyone Off
Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantSilver - GIAW 10Silver - GIAW 92011 Biggest Drama WhoreBronze - GIAW HalloweenGold - Game In A Week VII
i think the ones in the dv5z-1000 are sodimm, it's probably the processor that is lacking anyway but if he wants to change the ram anyway it's up to him.

Resident Cloud
Rep:
Level 91
Animefan's topics are really stupid...

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
2013 Best ArtistParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Game Creator (Non-RM Programs)~Bronze - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for August 2008Project of the Month winner for December 20092011 Best Game Creator (Non RM)Gold - GIAW Halloween

My god you're such a dick how'd you even get to be a mod?  I think maybe instead of being an asshole when it's not necessary, you could go and look up some rules of politeness and etiquette and bring them with you to the forum next time.  Seriously you're a site staff member, grow up.

FCF3a A+ C- D H- M P+ R T W- Z- Sf RLCT a cmn+++ d++ e++ f h+++ iw+++ j+ p sf+
Follow my project: MBlok | Find me on: Bandcamp | Twitter | Patreon

pokeball :)OfflineMale
Cheese
Rep:
Level 95
?
Watch out for: HaloOfTheSun

Rep:
Level 94
2012 Most Attractive Male MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for June 20092010 Best Counsel
I'm reporting this post and that post and every post ever made because

Meet me in the middle
Rep:
Level 89
or left of the dial.
For frequently finding and reporting spam and spam botsSecret Santa 2012 Participant
What?

I'm not a fan of Animefan, but he had a legitimate question. You're retarded.

Resident Cloud
Rep:
Level 91

My god you're such a dick how'd you even get to be a mod?  I think maybe instead of being an asshole when it's not necessary, you could go and look up some rules of politeness and etiquette and bring them with you to the forum next time.  Seriously you're a site staff member, grow up.

Animefan comes here everytime his computer so much bleeps at him. He fixes the problem himself a lot of the time and then moans about anime,peeing or the FBI. One of the rules of this section of the site is to use google first he clearly hasn't.

Im only rude to Animefan :D

Rep:
Level 102
2014 Biggest Narcissist Award2014 Biggest Forum Potato2014 Best Non-RM Creator2013 Best IRC Chatterbox2013 Best Game Creator (Non-RM)Participant - GIAW 112012 Best IRC Chatterbox2012 Best Use Of Avatar and Signature space2012 Funniest Member2012 Most Successful TrollSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for November 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2010 Best IRC Chatterbox2010 Biggest Forum Couch Potato2010 Most Successful Troll
It's clear he did look it up, because he said he did.

There's nothing wrong with asking questions, because a lot of people would rather get answers tailored to their specific situation, not someone else's.

It's honestly getting old seeing Animefan jumped on. He hasn't done anything ridiculous in a long time, so shut up. This isn't even the place to bitch about him.

Resident Cloud
Rep:
Level 91
It's clear he did look it up, because he said he did.

There's nothing wrong with asking questions, because a lot of people would rather get answers tailored to their specific situation, not someone else's.

It's honestly getting old seeing Animefan jumped on. He hasn't done anything ridiculous in a long time, so shut up. This isn't even the place to bitch about him.

True, alright Sorry animefan.

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
2013 Best ArtistParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Game Creator (Non-RM Programs)~Bronze - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for August 2008Project of the Month winner for December 20092011 Best Game Creator (Non RM)Gold - GIAW Halloween
I love how ahref totally took my post seriously.

Icork has a good point though, AF hasn't been a dick, there's no reason to mock him right now.  That's how we roll man, we don't do shit until we have reason to.

A Random Custom Title
Rep:
Level 96
wah
It's honestly getting old seeing Animefan jumped on.
You guys still gang up on me, though. :mad:

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
Project of the Month winner for June 2009
You say stupid things a lot more than animefan lol

Spoiler for:
:mad:

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
Spoiler for:
kit
Spoiler for:
kat
Spoiler for:
kan
Spoiler for:
I just realized that you get kan by replacing one letter in Kit twice.

Rep:
Level 96
2011 Most Missed Member2010 Zero To Hero
Spoiler for:
kit
Spoiler for:
kat
Spoiler for:
kan
Spoiler for:

I just realized that's fucking retarded. :mad:

A Random Custom Title
Rep:
Level 96
wah
Spoiler for:
I can also get my name to spell NAMKCOR by replacing only 3 letters, moving 3 different letters around once, and subtracting two letters and 3 numbers. :V

Last Stop
Rep:
Level 88
Everyone Off
Spoiler for:
I can also get my name to spell NAMKCOR by replacing only 3 letters, moving 3 different letters around once, and subtracting two letters and 3 numbers. :V
I just realized that's fucking retarded. :mad:

Rep:
Level 88
Unoriginal text here.
Wow. :o Looks like next time somebody's being mean to me I should just keep my mouth shut and wait for it to fix itself.
Thanks for the advice people. I have one more question and then I'll call this thread "resolved":

Is there a way to tell how much of my RAM/memory/shtuff is actually working? The "system" icon says I should have 2.00 GB total, but does that reflect how much the system can actually use?

A Random Custom Title
Rep:
Level 96
wah
I would assume that counter shows much RAM is actually being used. P: You can always search up online your computer model and see how much it's able to take.

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
Wow. :o Looks like next time somebody's being mean to me I should just keep my mouth shut and wait for it to fix itself.
Thanks for the advice people. I have one more question and then I'll call this thread "resolved":

Is there a way to tell how much of my RAM/memory/shtuff is actually working? The "system" icon says I should have 2.00 GB total, but does that reflect how much the system can actually use?

You need to look up your processor, and whether or not your operating system is 32 or 64 bit. 

Basically, check your CPU model, if it supports 64bit architecture and you don't mind reformatting to install a 64-bit version of your OS (provided it's not WinXP, 64bit WinXP is a load of garbage with less support than Vista ever had) then your RAM limit is 128 GB, theoretically, given a time when hardware can manage that much ram.  Otherwise, 4GB max.

Rep:
Level 92
The Return of Mandy
Fuck what everyone else said.

www.crucial.com

Put in the brand and model. It will tell you everything you need to know.

;8

Where there are no gold stars, demerits, or infractions. <3