RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Apple iPad

Crew Slut
Rep:
Level 93
You'll love it!
For taking a crack at the RMRK Wiki
iPad looks real shitty.
Steve Jobs is a pretentious douche.
iPods are pretty cool.
Macs are the compatibility and user-friendliness of Windows with the coolness of Linux, but it still seems to fall short somewhere...
Apple Store employees make me want to rage every time I seem them and their skinny blue jeans and navy-blue tees.  :mad:
Safari is not even in the same league as Chrome and Firefox.

"HEY LET'S MAKE A REALLY PRETTY PRODUCT WITH MINIMAL FEATURES AND VERY LITTLE END-USER CONTROL AND SLAP A $600 PRICE TAG ON THAT BABY! Good work people, off to my spinning class and then to Trader Joe's".
$499 is hardly a good price for something that can't even do half of what a Netbook, and that's saying something.

/rant
« Last Edit: January 30, 2010, 12:43:37 PM by Roph »

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
Project of the Month winner for June 2009
that was a pretty lame rant, but the iPad does suck.

Rep:
Level 85
I solve practical problems.
For taking arms in the name of your breakfast.
agreed, i figure apple wants to make a quick buck off of the mac and apple community.

Rep:
Level 102
2014 Best Non-RM Creator2014 Biggest Forum Potato2014 Biggest Narcissist Award2013 Best IRC Chatterbox2013 Best Game Creator (Non-RM)Participant - GIAW 112012 Best IRC Chatterbox2012 Best Use Of Avatar and Signature space2012 Funniest Member2012 Most Successful TrollSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for November 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2010 Biggest Forum Couch Potato2010 Most Successful Troll2010 Best IRC Chatterbox
It's a portable multi-function device. It can be your navigation system, your cookbook, your sheet music book, your digital photo frame, your digital art canvas, your book reader, your music player, your video viewer, and anything else you need. The iPad isn't for editing video and playing Crysis -- it's for general use, especially in situations where it works better than a standard computer.

Ever heard of the iPod Touch? It's a wonderful portable multi-purpose device that happens to run the iPhone OS. My iPod Touch is my portable web browser, portable music player, portable Youtube player, portable movie player, portable location finder and navigator, portable photo viewer, portable gaming device, portable multi-touch synthesizer, portable restaurant location and information device, portable social networking device, portable personal organizer, portable time killer, portable weather updates device, portable alarm clock, portable timer, and favorite portable device. These are the things *I* use my iPod Touch for daily. It can be so much more than that. There are over 140,000 applications in the App Store. I have no regrets buying this device.

What did you expect them to do, slap an operating system not designed for touch screen devices onto a touch screen device and call it a day? There are quite a few devices like that with Windows on it, if you want to get one. See how well they work.

The reason they're using a modified version of iPhone OS, and not a full blown OS like OS X is because it's brilliantly designed for multi-touch. and it works great for their targeted audience. It isn't supposed to be a full computer-- it's supposed to be in between a computer and a smart phone.

Someone I know made an excellent summary of its two target audiences. This is my summary of his summary with my own take thrown in:

1) It's for 99% of computer users. These are the users who only need the basics like web browsing, emails, photos, videos, and any other basic things. The iPad could replace whatever computer they have, because it does these things better.

Netbooks do these things, but they don't do them well. You can't walk around and use them, and they're, quite frankly, too much for doing these basic tasks. You need to stop thinking that you need a full OS and a keyboard to do these things.

2) It's for people who want a larger and better iPod Touch. Great apps, great interface, many uses, on the go.

On top if everything, I don't see how it's a device with just "minimal features". The app store has over 140,000 existing iPhone/iPod Touch apps, and there will be, without a doubt, a ton of great apps for the iPad. It's not trying to replace the netbook, and I don't even see what netbooks can really do that the iPad won't be able to. I can tell you what things the iPad does better, though.

Rep:
Level 96
2010 Most Attractive Male Member2010 Best Musician
The possibilities of using the iPad as a MIDI controller or music performance device alone makes my mouth water.

iPad + Bluetooth + MaxMSP = now your iPad connects to anything musical, ever.

:tinysmile::tinysmile:

Rep:
Level 85
I like that music thing : D

Meh, Id still stick to a normal laptop though, just because there is no touch screen. Touch screens in my experience can be easily damaged by pretty much anything. I am part of that 1%, the people who use computers for anything and everything, I am also a strict pc guy, so no macs for me XD.

Rep:
Level 102
2014 Best Non-RM Creator2014 Biggest Forum Potato2014 Biggest Narcissist Award2013 Best IRC Chatterbox2013 Best Game Creator (Non-RM)Participant - GIAW 112012 Best IRC Chatterbox2012 Best Use Of Avatar and Signature space2012 Funniest Member2012 Most Successful TrollSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for November 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2010 Biggest Forum Couch Potato2010 Most Successful Troll2010 Best IRC Chatterbox
It's not supposed to replace your laptop. This is for walking around, sitting in the bathroom, or out on the go. It's for when you don't need to use your 3D modeling program and your video editor.

Obviously if you went on a business trip and you needed to edit a video to present, you'd use your laptop. But if you wanted to watch Youtube at a coffee shop, browse the internet in front of your TV, read a book on the john, play a game on the road, read sheet music for your piano, find a good local restaurant, find and follow a cooking recipe, locate an address, or even edit a quick keynote presentation, it would be great to have an iPad.

I've had my iPod Touch since 2007 and nothing has happened to my screen or the touch functionality. I've even dropped it countless times on concrete.

>o>
Rep:
Level 88
me
iPad looks like shit. Buy a netbook.

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
I just bummed that it can't play any flash. So there goes a shit ton of the internet.

Rep:
Level 102
You don't realize that there isn't a single device for everybody, and people have different needs. The iPod Touch is just about everything I could want in a portable multi-function device. Its only major drawback, for me, is its small screen and resolution. An iPad that does everything my iPod Touch does and much more is ideal for me.

I just bummed that it can't play any flash. So there goes a shit ton of the internet.
Most content on the web doesn't use flash. I suppose if you really needed flash for web browsing on the go, this could be a let-down.

Though HTML 5 should eventually minimize the use of Flash in a lot of areas.

>o>
Rep:
Level 88
me
You don't realize that there isn't a single device for everybody, and people have different needs. The iPod Touch is just about everything I could want in a portable multi-function device. Its only major drawback, for me, is its small screen and resolution. An iPad that does everything my iPod Touch does and much more is ideal for me.

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
Though HTML 5 should eventually minimize the use of Flash in a lot of areas.

Yeah, I'm kind of just waiting for this.

Rep:
Level 102
Just wondering, what do you need Flash for? =o

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
I only use the internet if A: I need to for research, or B: I'm bored. A lot of my research takes me to websites that are built partially or sometimes fully of flash, and when I'm bored, it's usually YouTube or Flash games. lol. So, basically all flash.

Rep:
Level 102
A research website that requires flash. That's dumb. Go to better websites. :mad:

The Youtube website works on iPhone OS, but instead of showing a player, you hit play and it opens the video. And there's the Youtube app that's installed on the device out of the box.

Flash games wouldn't work well on a multi-touch device anyway. Most of them require a mouse and keyboard, and none of them take advantage of the iPad technology. Games designed specifically for the iPad will be much better, just as iPhone/iPod Touch games are.

Also, I think I could actually get into books if I had an iPad. I generally don't like reading off of paper. Having to hold a heavy book and find good lighting is a pain, in my opinion. An LCD is best for me. I don't really like electronic ink stuff, and I wouldn't pay for a device that *only* does books.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2010, 07:58:13 AM by Irock »

Crew Slut
Rep:
Level 93
You'll love it!
For taking a crack at the RMRK Wiki
Also, I think I could actually get into books if I had an iPad. I generally don't like reading off of paper. Having to hold a heavy book and find good lighting is a pain, in my opinion. An LCD is best for me. I don't really like electronic ink stuff, and I wouldn't pay for a device that *only* does books.

If the ipad will get you into reading, you've been reading the wrong stuff; not to mention, LCDs are pretty awful to read on.

iPad looks like shit. Buy a netbook because it can do most everything its target audience needs, except maybe be easy to use while walking. For Christ's sake, it doesn't even have a USB drive.
Oh yeah, the iPod touch. Most professionals, who would probably own a Netbook, probably own a smartphone (maybe the iPhone?). Why the hell would they buy an over sized iPod touch?

Rep:
Level 85
because media makes it look cool?
And Evveeeerrrryyyy one will get one, so you might as well join in

Rep:
Level 96
Netbooks can't be used as MIDI controllers, so I'm sticking with my previous "I only want it for the things it will do for electronic music" angle. I mean, it can be programmed as a Kaosillator, a wireless mixer (if you connect it up to ProTools, or some other software), or a variety of other instruments like Bebot or Bloom, Trope, and Air. And those aps were designed for the iPhone and iPod touch. Image what Brian Eno and others could do with all that extra real-estate.

I'd never buy on myself, though, I'll let the music school do that.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2010, 04:36:45 PM by arlen »

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Most Unsung Member2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Favorite Staff Member2012 Most Mature MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2011 Best Veteran2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Most Mature Member2010 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2010 Best Use Of Avatar And Signature Space
@Irock - grafikal is in graphic design. Flash websites seem quite sensible given that is his area of research. Also, reading books off of an LCD is a terrible way to read a book. It's not at all difficult to find good lighting unless you live and travel in caves, and an average books weighs 12 ounces (average hardcover weighs 1lb.), whereas the ipad weighs 1.5 lbs. If you don't read books now, you won't with an ipad because it is inferior to a book in every way except that it can contain multiple books at once. And if you don't like reading single books, why read multiple books?

Anyway, I agree with you that you should get the device that best suits your desires. Generally, most people may use 3 of the billion features of any one of these portable devices, and the ones they do will probably be available on any of them. If you've never in your life thought to yourself, "Damn! If only I had a portable timer right now!" then ignore that feature and get the cheapest one that does the things you need. For myself, the only portable things I ever want to use are phones and music players, so those are the only features I pay attention to and obviously I won't get either a netbook or an iPad because it would be a waste of money for me. So the whole netbook v. iPad argument is dumb. Get the cheapest one that does the things you want it to do best.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2010, 04:52:43 PM by modern algebra »

Rep:
Level 94
2012 Most Attractive Male MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for June 20092010 Best Counsel
Fuck an iPad.

Meet me in the middle
Rep:
Level 89
or left of the dial.
For frequently finding and reporting spam and spam botsSecret Santa 2012 Participant
this is some backwards ass logic.

Rep:
Level 96
The iPad would be amazing if graphic novels and comics went the route of the e-book.

Rep:
Level 102
Also, reading books off of an LCD is a terrible way to read a book. It's not at all difficult to find good lighting unless you live and travel in caves, and an average books weighs 12 ounces (average hardcover weighs 1lb.), whereas the ipad weighs 1.5 lbs. If you don't read books now, you won't with an ipad because it is inferior to a book in every way except that it can contain multiple books at once. And if you don't like reading single books, why read multiple books?
Are you telling me that my opinions are wrong? I *prefer* reading off of LCDs, and your opinion can't change that. I get eye strains trying to read off of paper all the time. The text on paper doesn't pop out like the text on LCDs do, and the dim lighting in my room doesn't make it any better. Not to mention I have bad eyesight, even with glasses. Being able to resize and change the font is also a win for the iPad.

If the ipad will get you into reading, you've been reading the wrong stuff; not to mention, LCDs are pretty awful to read on.

iPad looks like shit. Buy a netbook because it can do most everything its target audience needs, except maybe be easy to use while walking. For Christ's sake, it doesn't even have a USB drive.
Oh yeah, the iPod touch. Most professionals, who would probably own a Netbook, probably own a smartphone (maybe the iPhone?). Why the hell would they buy an over sized iPod touch?
See arlen's post.

You don't seem to understand; the iPad is in an entirely different category. Netbooks are supposed to be small, cheap computers for general computing. The iPad is not only that, but a lifestyle device.

I could have a sheet music application and sit my iPad on my keyboard's sheet music stand. You wouldn't even have to turn pages, you would just tap it. Everyone who's ever dealt with sheet music knows how annoying page turning with sheet music could be. Hell, it could even turn it for me.

I could have a great cookbook application and use it in my kitchen. Yes, you could sit your netbook on your counter, but no recipe website compares to some of the cookbook applications on the iPhone and iPod touch.

I could sit the iPad on a table and play a boardgame like Monopoly or Scrabble, and anyone could play with me. It'd be like a board game you would never have to set up, and the pieces never go missing.

I could have a painting/art application that takes full advantage of the multi-touch.

I could have a great application such as MLB Team Up to keep up with current and past games. Even if you're not a sports fan, you have to admire the experience they've created in just two weeks. This is something that, quite frankly, can not be reproduced on a standard computer.

Of course there are the video games that take use of the accelerometer and touch screen.

And the thousands of other applications that are only possible because of the accelerometer and/or touch screen.

Netbooks aren't for everyone, and neither are iPads. You need to realize that some people may prefer the experience they get on an iPad. Don't try to tell me that a netbook would work better for me, because it's not your call.

moew
Rep:
Level 91
Queen Princess
2013 Most Missed Member2012 Most Missed Member;o hee hee <3For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki
I could have a painting/art application that takes full advantage of the multi-touch.

I don't see a professional using that and no standard user either unless they just wanted to waste their time with scribbles.
:taco: :taco: :taco:

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
2013 Best ArtistParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Game Creator (Non-RM Programs)~Bronze - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for August 2008Project of the Month winner for December 20092011 Best Game Creator (Non RM)Gold - GIAW Halloween
lol.
NOBODY USES FLASH IT'S USELESS APPLE IS BEYOND FLASH!

> no multitasking
> no flash
that's all I need to justify not spending $500 on a larger iTouch.

I don't mind the product, I can think of a couple games, and some fun niche-uses for it, but at its price? no way.

Also as far as games are concerned (SJR on the last page), that's what Dual Boot is for.  OH LAWDY YOU HAVE TO RUN WINDOWS ON YOUR MAC AND SPEND 30 SECONDS BOOTING INTO IT TO PLAY A GAME.  not a big deal, people need to get over it.

FCF3a A+ C- D H- M P+ R T W- Z- Sf RLCT a cmn+++ d++ e++ f h+++ iw+++ j+ p sf+
Follow my project: MBlok | Find me on: Bandcamp | Twitter | Patreon