RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
How does The Pirate Bay still exist?

Rep:
Level 88
Unoriginal text here.
I could have sworn the owners got sued and hauled off to jail. And didn't the site get taken over by a corporation or something? Bought out or something? What happened to them? I mean, how could they just show off all those threatening lawsuit messages from various companies and not take them seriously? Wasn't it inevitable that they'd end up in jail?

I don't get it. Why is thepiratebay still around? Does the fact that they have less available downloads than usual have something to do with it? Obviously I'm glad it's still around, I just don't know HOW.

What'd I miss?

( ´ิ(ꈊ) ´ิ) ((≡^⚲͜^≡)) (ી(΄◞ิ౪◟ิ‵)ʃ)
Rep:
Level 102
(っ˘ڡ˘ς) ʕ•̼͛͡•ʕ-̺͛͡•ʔ•̮͛͡•ʔ (*ꆤ.̫ꆤ*)
2014 Avast Ye Merry Pirate!2013 Avast Ye Merry Pirate Award2012 Avast Ye Merry Pirate AwardFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2011 Avast Ye Merry Pirate2011 Most Unsung Member2010 Avast Ye Merry Pirate Award
A .torrent file merely contains some file hashes, tracker address(es) and other misc data, none of which is copyrightable. A tracker merely helps users connect to other users; no copyrightable data is ever stored on it or passes through it.

That being said, those defenses are more on the technical side. On the literal side, it's obvious that a TBP torrent for Iron Man aXXo rip.avi is for copyrighted content. It's on this basis that they go after trackers. By helping people to find the torrents they want that relate/refer to (but don't contain themselves) copyrighted content, i.e. making categories like Movies / Music / Anime etc, it's possible to get some trackers on the charge of "assisted" copyright infringement. That's what got mininova took down, as well as torrentspy.

By merely indexing torrents and not hosting them yourself (google can do this, the **AA aren't going to go after google), and using a completely anonymous tracker system like OpenBitTorrent (read that page), it's alot harder to take a system down.

The original owners aren't allowed anywhere near TBP anymore, but they have other people who can manage the site. The court case was against the 3 owners, not against the site itself. Others are free to administrate it on their behalf.
bringing sexy back

pokeball GAXOfflineMale
Rep:
Level 88
The Laughing Man
Bingo!  As long as the internet exists, there will always be ThePirateBay!  And explaining about the corporation thing.  Yeah, about a year ago a company attempted to purchase TPB and were planning on charging people to use the tracker.  In the end, the scheme fell through and we've still got TPB.  From time to time it goes down because a group of dumbass copyright lawyers get together and decide to threaten the current webhost of TPB.  Every time it's the same result: new webhost and those idiot lawyers have just wasted their time.  Long live the free internet!
Stand alone from mainstream society, be the different voice in a world where all speak the same.  Beat not to the rythm of the same drum, make your own rythm and follow it.  Individuality is the method by which we people live, the factor which keeps us from a hive mind, a singularity.  Instrumentality is not key, the key is accepting the difference of people and allowing their differences to flourish, not to suppress these differences and make everyone equal, for in pure equality, we lose what makes us who we are, our humanity.