RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Going back to XP

Rep:
Level 88
Unoriginal text here.
This time I'm doing a Great Wipe before I send my computer in for repairs. I want it back in XP because for one I'm tired of dealing with Vista and its RAM guzzling, and for another because I'm more experienced trying to reinstall XP. But after inserting the disk I got this error:

A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer. Check for viruses. Remove any newly installed HD's, or HD controllers. Check to make sure it is properly configured and terminated. Then; Run CHKDSK /F to check HD corruption, and restart computer.
Technical information: *** Stop: 0X0000007B (0XF78D2524, 0XC0000034, OX00000000, 0X00000000)

It's mumbo jumbo. Means NOTHING to me. I tried to run chkdsk /f but all it told me is that the disk is locked and that I have an NTFS system. So I googled around and got this: "Just goto the BIOS and make hard Disk detect as IDE simply by changing the Detect Harddisk as value SATA to IDE then u can install XP"

I tried that but my BIOS doesn't give me that option. So I googled around some more and got this: "your bios setting is ahci not ide/sata.. it will be there usually under drives or onboard peripherals.. browse around.. it will be there somewhere, tho building an xp disk with the right driver makes the hunting rather pointless.. you will need to use nlite to make an xp install disk with the correct sata driver for your chipset.. xp doesn't contain one."

Can someone translate for me? I don't know what he means by building an XP disk with the correct "sata" driver. What "hunting" is he talking about? Where do I find this "drives" or "onboard peripherals" option?

I used DriveMax to try and back up all my drivers, so what do I need nlite for? And how do I get my computer to let me delete all the partitions and install Windows XP? I'm completely lost.

Rep:
Level 102
2014 Biggest Narcissist Award2014 Biggest Forum Potato2014 Best Non-RM Creator2013 Best IRC Chatterbox2013 Best Game Creator (Non-RM)Participant - GIAW 112012 Most Successful Troll2012 Funniest Member2012 Best Use Of Avatar and Signature space2012 Best IRC ChatterboxSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for November 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2010 Most Successful Troll2010 Biggest Forum Couch Potato2010 Best IRC Chatterbox
XP *should* work out of the box to allow you to manually download all of your drivers after installing.

Burn XP to a disk (or use an official XP disk) then choose the format option.

Rep:
Level 88
Unoriginal text here.
XP *should* work out of the box to allow you to manually download all of your drivers after installing.

Burn XP to a disk (or use an official XP disk) then choose the format option.
I already have XP Media Center Edition on a disk. So what I tried to do was insert the disk in the CD drive, and boot from it like I used to with my old laptop. Then I'd delete the partitions and make a new one and install XP on that.

Is it safe to make just one big partition btw? I know there's another one for "back up" on it but I've got a separate HDD for that stuff.

Also, can you expand a bit on the format option? Should I insert the XP disk while the computer is already on the Desktop and loaded?

( ´ิ(ꈊ) ´ิ) ((≡^⚲͜^≡)) (ી(΄◞ิ౪◟ิ‵)ʃ)
Rep:
Level 102
(っ˘ڡ˘ς) ʕ•̼͛͡•ʕ-̺͛͡•ʔ•̮͛͡•ʔ (*ꆤ.̫ꆤ*)
2014 Avast Ye Merry Pirate!2013 Avast Ye Merry Pirate Award2012 Avast Ye Merry Pirate AwardFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2011 Avast Ye Merry Pirate2011 Most Unsung Member2010 Avast Ye Merry Pirate Award
SATA was introduced in 2003/2004, whereas XP was introduced in 2001/2002 - this means if you build a new PC with sata drives and you're using an especially old XP install disc, you're in for some problems.

Just use a newer XP install disc.

It so happens I have one uploaded:

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?4aybnatpnap
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?41fjocodblj
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?khexywor4xf
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?q8mimj0zt5w
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?z0oocxm83xw
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?revk8v9dvr2

Once you're able to get into the XP setup it'll let you reformat the drive/partitions etc to install fresh.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2009, 11:14:00 PM by Roph »
bringing sexy back

Rep:
Level 88
Unoriginal text here.
I'm downloading them now, but are you absolutely sure? My Media Center Edition disk says 2005 on it.

Now when I burn and install this XP disk you have, should I just boot from CD?

Also, tell me this isn't home edition. >.<
« Last Edit: December 27, 2009, 11:28:28 PM by Animefan »

Rep:
Level 102
2014 Avast Ye Merry Pirate!2013 Avast Ye Merry Pirate Award2012 Avast Ye Merry Pirate AwardFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2011 Avast Ye Merry Pirate2011 Most Unsung Member2010 Avast Ye Merry Pirate Award
Home is gay and worthless, it's pro.

And yes it's bootable.

I can't remember if there's a key on the disc or not. Aside from that it's the standard XP Pro SP3 disc. Meaning when you install it and go through the windows updates (the desktop update thing, NOT online like windowsupdate.com or microsoftupdate.com, NEVER use these), it is CRITICAL that you check the updates and DISABLE/BLOCK the WGA tool.
bringing sexy back

Rep:
Level 88
Unoriginal text here.
Alrighty. how do I go about blocking the WGA tool? (You're talking about that authentication thing with the symbol that looks like a blue and orange asterisk, right?)

Rep:
Level 102
ONLY enable and use this thing to update windows:

You don't need anything else, you'll get anything important through that. Though microsoft deems (of course) WGA as "important", so you'll see it show up in the list there. Just check for and untick it. When you do so, it'll ask if you want to never be notified of that update again, choose yes. You get around WGA by never installing it.
bringing sexy back

Rep:
Level 88
Unoriginal text here.
Says I needs a part 7. :tpg:

I searched your folder but didn't find it. I don't suppose mediafire might've deleted it...
« Last Edit: December 28, 2009, 12:19:18 AM by Animefan »

Rep:
Level 88
Unoriginal text here.
 :tpg: What happened to the seventh piece?

Rep: +0/-0Level 82
I looked up your error code. Give this a shot when installing:

•On start up , press F2 to enter BIOS
•Expand the "Drives" section
•Go to "SATA Operation"
•Change this from "RAID Auto/AHCI" to "RAID Auto/ATA"

If that doesn't work check here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/324103

Hope that helps!  :blizj:

Rep:
Level 102
Don't have 7th :/
bringing sexy back

Rep:
Level 88
Unoriginal text here.
I looked up your error code. Give this a shot when installing:

•On start up , press F2 to enter BIOS
•Expand the "Drives" section
•Go to "SATA Operation"
•Change this from "RAID Auto/AHCI" to "RAID Auto/ATA"

If that doesn't work check here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/324103

Hope that helps!  :blizj:
I tried that but my BIOS doesn't give me that option.
And it didn't not give me that option any less after you suggested it. Thanks for trying anyway.

Well does anybody have a good XP copy like Roph almost did?

Rep:
Level 92
The Return of Mandy
Sorry buddy, dont mean to troll but your whole idea is bad from the beginning. If you do in fact get XP to install by slipstreaming a disc with the right drivers you are likely going to have a hell of a time getting all your drivers to work or even finding the right drivers.

Be smart and just upgrade to windows 7. Save your self the frustration. XP Is an ancient operating system riddled with issues. Download the torrent for windows 7 here: http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/5129372/Windows_7_all_version_7600_16385_RTM_Activator_%5Bby_Sk%5D . Burn the disc and install that.

Where there are no gold stars, demerits, or infractions. <3

>o>
Rep:
Level 88
me
You fool! Windows 7 uses more RAM than XP and offers absolutely no improvement in any regard whatsoever!

I am kidding, of course. Use Windows 7, Animefan :3

Rep: +0/-0Level 82
I agree 100% my computer is 5 years old and went from Windows XP to Vista to Windows 7. There is a HUGE improvement in performance from XP to 7.

Get the upgrade and you should be fine.

Rep:
Level 88
Unoriginal text here.
You fool! Windows 7 uses more RAM than XP and offers absolutely no improvement in any regard whatsoever!

I am kidding, of course. Use Windows 7, Animefan :3
So does 7 use the same amount of RAM? Less perhaps?
Oh look, a pirate link! Tempty tempty!