RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Opinions on a plot twist scenario (resolved)

Rep:
Level 83
Hey in my game at the start of it you kill this strong boss guy( Spoiler ). Well because I like him so much I brought him back to life without any reasonable explanation like vile in MM X 8. The player would see him again in about 30 minutes later into the game.Will this make players mad or should I just come up with something logical. Can you all help me come up with something?
« Last Edit: July 14, 2009, 04:10:28 PM by the_M_man »

Rep:
Level 86
Sonic Dog -> Light Spear -> Overlimit -> Slash
Well, maybe have a small scene sometime before he shows up again hinting that something brought him back to life/you didn't kill him/etc. Characters coming back just looks stupid unless there's reasoning why and how they came back. It should also help build a backstory for you strong boss guy.

Rep:
Level 84
You should definitely hint at his resurrection after he "dies" and before you see him the second time.

Even better, you should leave hints even from the beginning of the game, especially if it is an important plot twist. That way it is integrated into the story rather than just tacked on.

For example, in the Sixth Sense, there are clues right from the beginning of the film, and all the way throughout. When the boy first meets Bruce Willis, he is scared (we assume its because he is scared about the psychologist learning his secret) and whenever Bruce Willis is around it is cold (we assume there is another ghost in the room).

Which brings me to another point... your clues should always be hidden. In mystery writing they say, "if a person is shot in the third act, put a gun in the gun rack in the first act." The fact that the gun is mentioned in passing as the room is being described means the reader's attention won't be drawn to it. Not until the person is murdered by the gun, and the reader will say, "Of course, why didn't I think of that!"

Basically, all the clues as to how and why he will be resurrected should be presented early on, but should be hidden by presenting them in a way that the player will assume they mean something insignificant/different.

So for your character, if he heals himself with herbs, have him a keen gardener with a green house (lame but you get the idea.) Or if he was born with a magical ability, have every one talk about his twin brother who died, and that is why he was evil (when actually, he had been killed and when he came back to life he hid his ability by assuming the identity of a non-existent twin).

Rep:
Level 83
You should definitely hint at his resurrection after he "dies" and before you see him the second time.

Even better, you should leave hints even from the beginning of the game, especially if it is an important plot twist. That way it is integrated into the story rather than just tacked on.

For example, in the Sixth Sense, there are clues right from the beginning of the film, and all the way throughout. When the boy first meets Bruce Willis, he is scared (we assume its because he is scared about the psychologist learning his secret) and whenever Bruce Willis is around it is cold (we assume there is another ghost in the room).

Which brings me to another point... your clues should always be hidden. In mystery writing they say, "if a person is shot in the third act, put a gun in the gun rack in the first act." The fact that the gun is mentioned in passing as the room is being described means the reader's attention won't be drawn to it. Not until the person is murdered by the gun, and the reader will say, "Of course, why didn't I think of that!"

Basically, all the clues as to how and why he will be resurrected should be presented early on, but should be hidden by presenting them in a way that the player will assume they mean something insignificant/different.

So for your character, if he heals himself with herbs, have him a keen gardener with a green house (lame but you get the idea.) Or if he was born with a magical ability, have every one talk about his twin brother who died, and that is why he was evil (when actually, he had been killed and when he came back to life he hid his ability by assuming the identity of a non-existent twin).

Interesting ideas. I like it. Thanks.