RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Violin

A Random Custom Title
Rep:
Level 96
wah
Okay, so I decided "screw the electric guitar" as they cost quite a bit of money (not to mention the amp) and I got royally screwed over. I'm lacking money. SOOOO... I've actually always wanted to learn violin, as well, so I plan to get free lessons from friends (Ahaha.... :)) if I can.

If anyone knows a lot about violin, I could use a bit of help in these:
1) How much is a violin? My friend told me of $8 violins that you can't even play because they suck so much and then I know there's the Stradivarius's that are TOO good that you shouldn't even play them. I was wondering what was cheap, but it's also decent in tone and playability.
2) Anywhere online that's free and reliable to learn violin from, lol. As supplement to what I may learn from my friends.

Rep:
Level 93
<o>_<o>
2014 Funniest MemberParticipant - GIAW 11Bronze - GIAW 92011 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)
i got one on ebay for $60. it's blue and it works. i suck at playing it because it doesn't have frets which really throws me off, but i'll get better eventually.

A Random Custom Title
Rep:
Level 96
wah
i got one on ebay for $60. it's blue and it works. i suck at playing it because it doesn't have frets which really throws me off, but i'll get better eventually.
Yeah, people use tape to mark the frets on the side and then eventually remove them.

So it seems $60 is a decent range.

Rep:
Level 84
Is a New Zealander
Think of how many hours of enjoyment you will get from it; then think what a fair price for all that time would be. Considering it's $5 for 2 hours at a movie theater. ^^

I'm much too lazy to put an actual signature here.

A Random Custom Title
Rep:
Level 96
wah
$5? WOW. It's, like, $10 for us. $12, maybe.

Rep:
Level 84
Is a New Zealander
$5? WOW. It's, like, $10 for us. $12, maybe.

I was guessing. Over here in New Zealand it's 12-14 NZD. Which is about 8-9 USD (I think =/)
I'm much too lazy to put an actual signature here.

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
Project of the Month winner for June 2009
9 Sounds about right [/offtopic] lol

Rep:
Level 92
The Return of Mandy
A violin is a much more difficult "version" of the guitar. Haha. In my opinion it takes much more practice to learn and master, but its a beautiful instrument.

If your looking to pick up one, I suggest you check craigslist.com . If you get lucky you can score some really good deals locally. Then bring it to a local shop and have it cleaned and restrung. Google: music stores near "your location"

Either that or buy a cheap acoustic guitar. No amp :D

Where there are no gold stars, demerits, or infractions. <3

A Random Custom Title
Rep:
Level 96
wah
Ahaha I already can play guitar. I have a decent one that'll last me a while, but yeah. I really wanna learn violin. It looks so cool. ;-; So many kids of my race and age probably hate it as their parents force them to practice and play, but I think I'd have lots of fun because I'd be doing it on my own. :3

Also, it seems I might be able to get a violin from a guy at my church, and hopefully it'll work out. But yeah, craigslist is really confusing to me and they're still pretty expensive for something I'd pay for just to try out/start. :p

Rep:
Level 96
2010 Most Attractive Male Member2010 Best Musician
I was always under the impression that Violins always cost more than guitars. Even cheap ones...

:tinysmile::tinysmile:

A Random Custom Title
Rep:
Level 96
wah
o_o Like I said, my friend told me that there are even, like, $8 violins but they suck too much to play. So, there's obviously prices not too far above that that are still playable. :P

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
Project of the Month winner for June 2009
I was always under the impression that Violins always cost more than guitars. Even cheap ones...

A friend of mine here bought his violin for $60 on Ebay. It was a nicer one though.

Crew Slut
Rep:
Level 93
You'll love it!
For taking a crack at the RMRK Wiki

Yeah, bows alone can cost as much as a higher end guitar. Strings are uber expensive, and if you practice a lot, you need to buy a lot. People spend hundreds of thousands of dollars on violins alone.

Why not ask your friend if he/she can teach you on theirs? If you like it for a couple lessons, spend a little more and get a higher quality one that sounds good. I used to play but stopped because my teacher was an ass and haven't bothered to start up again.

A violin is a much more difficult "version" of the guitar. Haha. In my opinion it takes much more practice to learn and master, but its a beautiful instrument.

If your looking to pick up one, I suggest you check craigslist.com . If you get lucky you can score some really good deals locally. Then bring it to a local shop and have it cleaned and restrung. Google: music stores near "your location"

True dat!  :=:
Craigslist is good. Go to a store and try some out or take your friend with you and see what he/she says, you can probably go on craigslist and look at the make/models and then go try them out and/or purchase from craigslist?