RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Programming and time?

Rep:
Level 86
Give him one more.
Anyone here know any programming languages, and if so, I have the following questions for you.

1. What is it?
2. Have you ever created a game with it?
3. How long did it take you to get to the fluency level you are currently at?
4. What platform do you program on?
5. Do you use any programs to assist you with coding?
The boys are going out for hookers and ice cream. Is that something you would be interested in?

Rep:
Level 84
I did some C++ at school (I think it was PASCAL actually) but I haven't done anything significant since then. I have just started to fiddle with RGSS by editing menus in RMXP, and I am slowly beginning to understand it. Very slowly. Although, its amazing how when you figure out one or two little things, it makes it easier and quicker to understand a few more things.

Rep:
Level 87
I learned a lot of different languages at uni, but never got to use any of them after starting my job - Pascal, Fortran, C, C++, Basic :), COBOL and probably a lot more that I've just forgotten since.

Apart from RMXP (which I haven't made my own game with, but have helped someone else make commercial games with), I've done a simple little platformer (freeware) written with Torque Game Builder.  That was nice to use, once I got the hang of it (having the source for a completed commercial game and being able to pull it to pieces really helped with the learning curve), but it has a few little issues and I won't use it because of the EULA conditions on commerical games.  For my next game, I'll possibly use TGB to prototype, but am looking at Flex for development.

When I have the time to sit down and learn it :)

Er... with TGB, I don't consider myself fluent (it uses a C++ engine, but has its own scripting language built on top).  My game runs on the PC, but I think there might be a TGB version available for Mac (being called to dinner, so can't look it up now), and they've just released an iPhone engine.

I don't use any programs to assist with coding apart from the standard editor - that'd take the fun out of it :)  I just have lots of windows/tabs open and keep lots of notes as I go.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2009, 08:45:49 AM by shaz »
Always remember you're unique.
Just like everybody else.