RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
"Learn a Spell from A Scroll" Tutorial

Rep: +0/-0Level 83
This is my first tutorial, so it will be quite brief and easy. This will possibly be the easiest but most fun, effective thing to add to your game.

First, start by creating a new Common Event in the Database.  Call the new common event "Learn [Spell Name]"  Now, go to page 3 of the selectable Event Commands, and select "Change Skill" Now, select the skill that you want to use. You can even use a custom skill. After that is completed, go to the "Items" tab. Create another item. Now, name this "[Spell Name] Scroll", or something that matches it.  Then, create a description saying "Teaches the player the [Spell Name] Spell. Now select the "common event" pull down menu, and select the common event that we just created. Give your item some unique features (A sound effect, icon, price, etc.) The sound effect I used was number 18, which is Teleport01.

I'm sorry I can't provide any screen shots, I recently uninstalled my photo editing software by accident, and when I try to install it, it gives me an error. I will post screen shots as soon as possible.

EDIT: Did I post this in the wrong section? Sorry if I did.

Rep:
Level 84
Good tutorial, however there is a little problem. How do you select the actor you want to teach the spell?
Maybe using a combination of an Item, a State and a Common Event.
The Item has to call the common event, scope "One Ally" and add a new State, call it for example "Learn [Skill Name]". The State should be priority 10 and don't have the option "Release after Battle". And the Common Event should check with a Conditional Branch for each actor if they have this new State, and inside the Conditional Branch the command Change Skill. Also, in the end of the common event should be a Change State skill for the entire party removing the used State.

Yeah, it should be in the RMXP Tutorials Database forum.

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Most Unsung Member2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Most Mature Member2012 Favorite Staff Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2011 Most Mature Member2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Best Veteran2010 Most Mature Member2010 Favourite Staff Member
Yeah, it should be in the RMXP Tutorials Database forum.

Good catch  ;)

Yeah, I don't have anything else to add - vgvgf had a great idea for that though. Definitely better to have it give the skill to a specified actor. There is still the problem that if you did not want any actor to be able to learn the skill, then you would have to do something a little more since you would not be able to just disable those actors in the scene itself. My imagination is failing me right now, but the only thing I can think of is to just have a condition for those actors saying they can't learn the skill and re-adding the item to the inventory, but it is inconvenient. You would definitely want to make it so the item could only work out of battle to avoid wasting turns.

Yes, I forgot to include that you should only make it so you can use it on the menu. Also, you could easily do the "Select Actor" by creating more versions, like "Teach Aluxes Heal", "Teach Hilda Heal", and do that. Also, the only reason I didn't post how to do the multiple actors was because my game is with only one actor, seeing as his stats are divided by 2 and monster stats are divided by 3.  ;)

how do i make it so i can use it on anyone

Thanks, I had been trying to do this for a while. Never thought to use a status.

Rep: +0/-0Level 82
I made something similar to this ages ago, and one problem (dunno if you mentioned it) is that one or more chars wont learn it. To fix this, simply change the spells the class can learn, and maybe a conditional branch for if they have learnt it, they cant learn it again.

pokeball DysOffline
Good tutorial, however there is a little problem. How do you select the actor you want to teach the spell?

I did it like this:

First I made a "Show Choice" event where you have to pick your actor who you want to teach the spell (mine are named Rent and Tyri).
After that I created two Conditional Branches for my actors, which check if your actor already have learned the spell (my spell is named "Gedankenschlag"),
if you already have learned the spell it says something like: "this character already know this spell", if not, well, your actor learns the spell :P!

Hope you understand what I wrote.. :D
« Last Edit: October 24, 2009, 06:49:47 PM by Dys »