RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
USB Drive Disconnects

Rep:
Level 88
Unoriginal text here.
I have a 160 gigabyte detachable USB hard drive that I use as a second drive for my laptop. I install games and backup data on it. But it's been having problems lately. At random it will disconnect sometimes.

What would cause a USB drive to disconnect at random? Sometimes it disconnects and reconnects immediately after. I've reformatted it, so it can't be a data problem. Could it have to do with the wiring, or the amount of power circulating through a USB port I connect it to?

pokeball :)OfflineMale
Cheese
Rep:
Level 95
?
it could be the usb port on the laptop, try setting it up on another computer and see if it functions fine for a while
Watch out for: HaloOfTheSun

Rep:
Level 96
2010 Most Attractive Male Member2010 Best Musician
It could also be the external hard drive. I bought a Western Digital 500 GB Firewire drive for my mac a week ago. The thing wouldn't connect half the time, and when it did, it would frequently and suddenly drop the connection, often in the middle of file transfers.

But yeah, try it on another computer to test it.

:tinysmile::tinysmile:

( ´ิ(ꈊ) ´ิ) ((≡^⚲͜^≡)) (ી(΄◞ิ౪◟ิ‵)ʃ)
Rep:
Level 102
(っ˘ڡ˘ς) ʕ•̼͛͡•ʕ-̺͛͡•ʔ•̮͛͡•ʔ (*ꆤ.̫ꆤ*)
2014 Avast Ye Merry Pirate!2013 Avast Ye Merry Pirate Award2012 Avast Ye Merry Pirate AwardFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2011 Avast Ye Merry Pirate2011 Most Unsung Member2010 Avast Ye Merry Pirate Award
An ACTUAL hard drive? A USB port only provides like 500mA or something, doesn't it have another connector for power? Or some small usb drives use 2 usb connectors, one for power and another for power/data =o
bringing sexy back

Rep:
Level 96
2010 Most Attractive Male Member2010 Best Musician
Hard drives can run off of USB 2.0 alone. Mine does, or rather, can, but I have firewire on my mac so I don't use USB.

:tinysmile::tinysmile:

Rep:
Level 98
2010 Best Veteran2014 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2014 King of RMRK2014 Favorite Staff Member2014 Best Counsel2014 Best Writer2014 Most Mature Member2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2013 Favorite Staff MemberSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.Secret Santa 2012 Participant2011 Best Counsel2011 Best Writer2010 Funniest Member2010 Best Writer
Probably a power problem, trying to draw too much from your laptop. Do you install and run games off of it?
you awoke in a burning paperhouse
from the infinite fields of dreamless sleep

Rep:
Level 97
Definitely better than Hitler.
2014 Best Musician2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2013 Funniest Member2013 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2013 Best Musician2013 King of RMRKFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Username2012 Best MusicianFor frequent good quality Wiki writing [citation needed]Most entertaining member on the IRC2011 Best Musician2011 Funniest Member2010 Most Missed Member
This sort of thing happened to me with the one I was using on my desktop. The power in the actual case was going bad so I had to break it open and the drive works as an internal SATA drive now lol.
:tinysmile: