RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
[Music] Fruity Loops

Poll

Do you hate it?

Yes
No
I don't care.

A Random Custom Title
Rep:
Level 96
wah
If you hate it, why do you hate it? I just want the reasons so I can tell my friend who happens to like FL. >_>
« Last Edit: May 25, 2015, 07:28:19 AM by irock »

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
2013 Best ArtistParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Game Creator (Non-RM Programs)~Bronze - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for August 2008Project of the Month winner for December 20092011 Best Game Creator (Non RM)Gold - GIAW Halloween
I like it

FCF3a A+ C- D H- M P+ R T W- Z- Sf RLCT a cmn+++ d++ e++ f h+++ iw+++ j+ p sf+
Follow my project: MBlok | Find me on: Bandcamp | Twitter | Patreon

Rep:
Level 94
2012 Most Attractive Male MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for June 20092010 Best Counsel
The main reason that I "hate" it, (and I don't, really. I just think it sucks) is because it seems to have been programmed by someone with absolutely no musical knowledge whatsoever. There's sort of an underlying standard in the way music programs work, but FL has managed not only to do things in a completely different way, but also managed to make that way completely ass-backwards and overly annoying to use. Sure, you could end up writing the next great techno song. (snicker) But if you ever wanted to broaden your horizons to other programs, the things that you've learned through FL will not carry over into other programs. I'm a fan of looking at the big picture, and deciding to use this program is just small time.

Rep:
Level 84
Tools don't make the music, musicians do.

Give a good musician a couple of pots and he can make music with them.

I like fruity loops, because A. It does EXACTLY what I want it to. B. Its not overly complicated C. Unless someone told you it was made with fruity you'd never know.

I've been recording, writing, and playing several instruments as well as singing in bands (one of them made it pretty big a couple of years back) for the past 8 years. Music is about creativity and breathing your own feelings into something. It really doesn't matter what "portal" you use to do that in. Not liking one piece of software over another.. is just like anything else.. personal preference. Pro Tools is the audio recording standard in almost every major recording studio.. But, I absolutely hate it. Why? Because personally, Reaper (the program I use) can do what I want it to do.
Daniel: Hey, what kind of belt do you have?
Miyagi: Canvas. JC Penney, $3.98. You like?

A Random Custom Title
Rep:
Level 96
wah
The main reason that I "hate" it, (and I don't, really. I just think it sucks) is because it seems to have been programmed by someone with absolutely no musical knowledge whatsoever. There's sort of an underlying standard in the way music programs work, but FL has managed not only to do things in a completely different way, but also managed to make that way completely ass-backwards and overly annoying to use. Sure, you could end up writing the next great techno song. (snicker) But if you ever wanted to broaden your horizons to other programs, the things that you've learned through FL will not carry over into other programs. I'm a fan of looking at the big picture, and deciding to use this program is just small time.
So basically FL is just limited to itself and other programs allow you to use them and others in conjunction?

A "hatred" for a program is pretty nice, then, if you're doing it to discourage others from using it because it's not as fully functional. XD

Rep:
Level 94
2012 Most Attractive Male MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for June 20092010 Best Counsel
No, it's not that other music programs work together, or anything like that. Fruity Loops uses exactly what it says in the title: loops. If you want to write music that has a natural tendency to loop, such as rap or techno, then sure, this is fine. If you want to write real music, though, why not just start out with a program that uses standard notation? This way, not only do you learn a program that lets you compose the music you have in your head, but also teaches you the universal language of music.

Also, @ Azmyth: ProTools sucks because it sounds like shit. Everything that comes out of it sounds over compressed and generic.

Last Stop
Rep:
Level 88
Everyone Off
Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantSilver - GIAW 10Silver - GIAW 92011 Biggest Drama WhoreBronze - GIAW HalloweenGold - Game In A Week VII
Holk are you sure it's not just because protools is used by big companies and their bands are shitty and generic?

Rep:
Level 97
Definitely better than Hitler.
2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2014 Best Musician2013 Funniest Member2013 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2013 Best Musician2013 King of RMRKFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Username2012 Best MusicianFor frequent good quality Wiki writing [citation needed]Most entertaining member on the IRC2011 Best Musician2011 Funniest Member2010 Most Missed Member
Fruity Loops sucks because it promotes "color-by-numbers" writing rather than creativity. Any dickhead can get FL and piece some loops together and all of a sudden they think they can write awesome music. For a while I went along with the theory of pro-FL people that there are people who use it that put a lot of effort into what they do and don't just throw loops together. But then I started asking for examples of these and everything I've been shown is just shit. I am thoroughly convinced that no one with any sort of musical talent or knowledge would use FL.

Fortunately people who actually write music for a living feel the same way.
:tinysmile:

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
2013 Best ArtistParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Game Creator (Non-RM Programs)~Bronze - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for August 2008Project of the Month winner for December 20092011 Best Game Creator (Non RM)Gold - GIAW Halloween
Fruity Loops sucks because it promotes "color-by-numbers" writing rather than creativity. Any dickhead can get FL and piece some loops together and all of a sudden they think they can write awesome music. For a while I went along with the theory of pro-FL people that there are people who use it that put a lot of effort into what they do and don't just throw loops together. But then I started asking for examples of these and everything I've been shown is just shit. I am thoroughly convinced that no one with any sort of musical talent or knowledge would use FL.

Fortunately people who actually write music for a living feel the same way.

:(

FCF3a A+ C- D H- M P+ R T W- Z- Sf RLCT a cmn+++ d++ e++ f h+++ iw+++ j+ p sf+
Follow my project: MBlok | Find me on: Bandcamp | Twitter | Patreon

I love Firerain
Rep:
Level 97
=D
I sorta agree with Holk.
I think FL sucks cuz I never understood it...I think finale was easier to understand.

Moo, you use tabit so if your friend wants to use a music making program, you'd give it to him. So your "friend" is most probably you. If thats the case, then try mastering one program even if you aren't good at the start.
If it's not, then no. FL isn't good to start with because:

1. What Holk said
2. I never understood it
3. It sucks

And it's all techon-ey and not simple (though people may like that)

Good luck~
Arlen is hot.

Rep:
Level 94
Holk are you sure it's not just because protools is used by big companies and their bands are shitty and generic?

No, because bands I like have used it, and the albums sound over compressed.

A Random Custom Title
Rep:
Level 96
wah
Moo, you use tabit so if your friend wants to use a music making program, you'd give it to him. So your "friend" is most probably you.
Lol ya nimrod. I said it was my friend. I'm not some kind of pussy that hides behind what I say with things like that. Who says he asked for a music making program? He found it and just decided to use it.

And I'd never use FL because, from what I'm hearing/heard, it sucks. It's good at what it does but it doesn't do near enough what a real composer uses. (I'm obviously not a real composer).

I actually happen to think that I'm pretty decent with Tabit >:( Pretty much everyone is >_> It's about the music that comes out that differentiates me and, like, Ryan.

EDIT: Just saw what he said:
I think FL sucks cuz I never understood it...I think finale was easier to understand.
I think that's a horrible reason to hate something. >_> That's like saying, "I think RMRK sucks because I never understood how to get past the captcha."
« Last Edit: January 09, 2009, 03:45:54 AM by mastermoo420 »

I love Firerain
Rep:
Level 97
=D
lol, tell that to ermac =3

« Last Edit: January 09, 2009, 11:50:15 AM by speed racer »
Arlen is hot.

Rep:
Level 97
Definitely better than Hitler.
2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2014 Best Musician2013 Funniest Member2013 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2013 Best Musician2013 King of RMRKFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Username2012 Best MusicianFor frequent good quality Wiki writing [citation needed]Most entertaining member on the IRC2011 Best Musician2011 Funniest Member2010 Most Missed Member
lol @ almost 4 year old reference. :lol:
:tinysmile:

A Random Custom Title
Rep:
Level 96
wah
Lol at my nub friend. He thinks FL studio is the shiz and just says, "Then he doesn't know how to use FL properly."

I love Firerain
Rep:
Level 97
=D
I never understood algebra and so I failed in every test so naturally I hate it.

« Last Edit: January 10, 2009, 08:07:44 AM by speed racer »
Arlen is hot.

Rep:
Level 96
2010 Most Attractive Male Member2010 Best Musician
I somewhat dislike it for the reasons Halo posted, but it certainly does lend itself to a certain genre of music. Better than Reason does. Maybe some day I'll use it if I want to write music like Beck does.

:tinysmile::tinysmile: