RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
File Compression

Rep:
Level 88
Unoriginal text here.
Is there some secret to compressing files? I wanna know how to do it real good so my uploads don't take so long to download. :3

Last Stop
Rep:
Level 88
Everyone Off
Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantSilver - GIAW 10Silver - GIAW 92011 Biggest Drama WhoreBronze - GIAW HalloweenGold - Game In A Week VII
.zip .rar

pokeball :)OfflineMale
Cheese
Rep:
Level 95
?
Print -> Compress (smash) -> Scan

Watch out for: HaloOfTheSun

Rep:
Level 88
Unoriginal text here.
Thx. I tried the printing option in Winrar, but it said the file could not be printed, in some popup diagnostics window. What did I do wrong?  ;9

Here's some details:
I'm trying to compress a 700 megabyte video file into a Winrar ZIP folder. What steps should I take?

pokeball :)OfflineMale
Cheese
Rep:
Level 95
?
I don't know if compressing a video into a zip makes it any smaller.

why not convert it into lesser quality.
Watch out for: HaloOfTheSun

Rep:
Level 88
Unoriginal text here.
I don't know if compressing a video into a zip makes it any smaller.

why not convert it into lesser quality.
Do you think people will really go for that? It's a movie file after all, so the length might explain the space usage. If I make it lesser quality, I'm afraid it might not look so good anymore. :(

But if so, what file format, and what size, should I convert it to?

Rep:
Level 98
2010 Best Veteran2014 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2014 King of RMRK2014 Favorite Staff Member2014 Best Counsel2014 Best Writer2014 Most Mature Member2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2013 Favorite Staff MemberSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.Secret Santa 2012 Participant2011 Best Counsel2011 Best Writer2010 Funniest Member2010 Best Writer
break it up into multiple files hurr durr herp
you awoke in a burning paperhouse
from the infinite fields of dreamless sleep

Last Stop
Rep:
Level 88
Everyone Off
Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantSilver - GIAW 10Silver - GIAW 92011 Biggest Drama WhoreBronze - GIAW HalloweenGold - Game In A Week VII
If I make it lesser quality, I'm afraid it might not look so good anymore. :(
well of course if you lessen the quality it won't look as good.

( ´ิ(ꈊ) ´ิ) ((≡^⚲͜^≡)) (ી(΄◞ิ౪◟ิ‵)ʃ)
Rep:
Level 102
(っ˘ڡ˘ς) ʕ•̼͛͡•ʕ-̺͛͡•ʔ•̮͛͡•ʔ (*ꆤ.̫ꆤ*)
2014 Avast Ye Merry Pirate!2013 Avast Ye Merry Pirate Award2012 Avast Ye Merry Pirate AwardFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2011 Avast Ye Merry Pirate2011 Most Unsung Member2010 Avast Ye Merry Pirate Award
On the chance you're not trolling, different types of data are easier/harder to compress. Text is fantastically easy to compress, as the file is largely the same content over and over again. Make a text file, fill it with a million zeroes and then zip it, it'll be tiny compared to the uncompressed text file. The zip algorithm can see that it's just the same data over and over again, so it can essentially "say" in the archive, instead of "111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111~~" etc as the original file is, "1 x a million times".

Video, audio, and graphics (graphics sometimes, a 1600x1200 single single color image follows the text example above) are harder to compress as they're usually unique throughout. Modern video, audio and graphics formats are already compressed formats, and keep in mind that in most cases they're lossy (you lose detail /data during compression). huffYUV, FLAC and PNG are examples of lossless, WMV, MP3 and JPG are their lossy counterparts. A 128kbps MP3 ripped from CD won't give you the same audio data as the original track. When you talk about file compression, you want it lossless. You want the file to come out that you put in, so this further hampers the compression effectiveness. Lossless formats for audio exist (FLAC, generally would be 60-30% smaller than the raw uncompressed (.wav for example) audio) as well as for video but they're gigantic.

To help with long upload/download times for your videos either re-encode them with more aggressive lossy compression, or try to be patient. Keep in mind re-encoding something that's already been encoded with a lossy codec would result in an even worse quality file, but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do =o

SUPER (Google for eRightSoft SUPER) or Mediacoder (on sourceforge) are both good media compression tools. H.264 video with AAC audio in an OGM/MKV/MP4 container would be most efficient.
bringing sexy back

A Random Custom Title
Rep:
Level 96
wah
Roph is so smart :*