RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
[Visual] The Witcher

Varied Artist
Rep:
Level 87
Click To View

This piece doubles up as a school assignment and a contest entry (hitting multiple birds with one stone is the only way I know to survive the workload).

Here are the contest details:
http://news.deviantart.com/article/58015/

I appreciate any and all support, I can use all the help I can get.

Also comments/crits appreciated.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2015, 06:39:50 PM by boe »

pokeball :)OfflineMale
Cheese
Rep:
Level 95
?
that guy looks insane!

nice work again :)
Watch out for: HaloOfTheSun

Last Stop
Rep:
Level 88
Everyone Off
Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantSilver - GIAW 10Silver - GIAW 92011 Biggest Drama WhoreBronze - GIAW HalloweenGold - Game In A Week VII
wonderful as usual, my only nitpick is the sword hilt seems to be a tad crooked compared to the blade i may be imagining this though, either way it's super minor.

Varied Artist
Rep:
Level 87
Wow, the hilt IS crooked.  I didn't even notice.  Thanks for the comments.

Rep:
Level 98
2010 Best Veteran2014 King of RMRK2014 Favorite Staff Member2014 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2014 Best Counsel2014 Best Writer2014 Most Mature Member2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2013 Favorite Staff MemberSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.Secret Santa 2012 Participant2011 Best Counsel2011 Best Writer2010 Best Writer2010 Best IRC Chatterbox
The eyes could be a tad bit bigger to me.
you awoke in a burning paperhouse
from the infinite fields of dreamless sleep

Meet me in the middle
Rep:
Level 89
or left of the dial.
For frequently finding and reporting spam and spam botsSecret Santa 2012 Participant
Fantastic as usual, Gary.

Varied Artist
Rep:
Level 87
Thanks for the comments, guys.

I've made some minor teaks here and there based on crits that I got from here and other places.

Also, here's a bigger resolution image to show the details better.
link

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
2013 Best ArtistParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Game Creator (Non-RM Programs)~Bronze - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for August 2008Project of the Month winner for December 20092011 Best Game Creator (Non RM)Gold - GIAW Halloween
the belt seems weird to me.
like it's passing through itself.

other than that, absolutely amazing :)

FCF3a A+ C- D H- M P+ R T W- Z- Sf RLCT a cmn+++ d++ e++ f h+++ iw+++ j+ p sf+
Follow my project: MBlok | Find me on: Bandcamp | Twitter | Patreon

Rep:
Level 87
Very dark style, I love it. As usual amazing art, Gary.

Walking Billboard
Rep:
Level 87
OHMYCRAP

GARY HAS A DEVIANTART

now that i look back, it was obvious, just not to me  :tpg:

Nice picture, by the way (double :tpg:)

Varied Artist
Rep:
Level 87
@NAMKCOR - It's in a knot of sorts.

@DeathLockBM - Thanks, man.

@Kitkatkan - Haha, you make me smile.  Do you have a DA as well?

EDIT: Ah, yes you do.  Checking it out now. =)

Rep:
Level 85
:3
Wow, this is pretty good! How long did it take you to make this?
:dalton:

Varied Artist
Rep:
Level 87
Took about 4 days worth of work.

Walking Billboard
Rep:
Level 87
Yeah i have a DA

I don't use it enough, all the art isn't extravagantly good, not my best work in there

plus it is all out of date

I'll probably work on it more after i get a decent scanner

whenever that is ;o;.

Varied Artist
Rep:
Level 87
Well here were the winners for the contest:
http://news.deviantart.com/article/60638/

Didn't make the cut.  That's okay, I know I have lots of room to improve. =)

Furry Philosopher
Rep:
Level 94
Rawr?
2013 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)Randomizer - GIAW 11Gold - GIAW 11 (Hard)Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2012 Best RPG Maker User (Mapping)2012 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantGold - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for September 2008For taking a crack at the RMRK Wiki2011 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)2011 Best Veteran2011 Kindest Member2010 Best RPG Maker User (Events)2010 Best RPG Maker User (Story)
That's ridiculous. Maybe I'm just a bit biased, but I would have chosen the second place winner over the first place winner, and definitely yours over that third place winner. Well, at least you had something to turn in for your school assignment.

*pats your back*

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2014 Most Unsung Member2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Favorite Staff Member2012 Most Mature MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best Veteran2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2011 Most Mature Member2010 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2010 Best Use Of Avatar And Signature Space
Yeah, the second one is pretty cool, but I think your entry was better than 1st or 3rd. In any case, like Zylos said, at least you got a school project out of it. Contests are always kind of fun anyway, even if you don't win. Next time, garygill.

Revolution is not a bed of roses.
Rep:
Level 91
Project of the Month winner for July 2009
What they said, yours puts the third place entry to shame.

Varied Artist
Rep:
Level 87
Haha thanks a lot guys.

Crew Slut
Rep:
Level 93
You'll love it!
For taking a crack at the RMRK Wiki
That's ridiculous. Maybe I'm just a bit biased, but I would have chosen the second place winner over the first place winner, and definitely yours over that third place winner. Well, at least you had something to turn in for your school assignment.

*pats your back*

Yeah. The first place had a nice art style, but it didn't seem like something that would hit 1st. Your Witcher was much better, IMO.

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
2013 Best ArtistParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Game Creator (Non-RM Programs)~Bronze - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for August 2008Project of the Month winner for December 20092011 Best Game Creator (Non RM)Gold - GIAW Halloween
I can see why they chose the winners that they did.

The first place one shows a different style of art, as well as a different look at the character.  Rather than a menacing or frightening combat-esque shot, it's a softer look, with a more twilight feel rather than a night/darkness feel.

the second place shot is more dynamic and shows a moving scene, the trees almost seem alive, the whole scene looks tense, as if sitting on the edge of something.  The character's pose suggests that he is preparing or apprehensive of something, it just seems like a very dynamic and alive picture

and the third place is a more abstract style, again, a different view, and has a much softer, and almost contemplative feel, showing depth in the concept.

Garygill: as to why I believe yours wasn't selected.  It's an amazing piece of artwork, that much is to be sure, but there were tons of other people just as good who submitted, so instead of looking at how technically sound it is, they had to look at teh character of it.  And yours, unfortunately, is not very dynamic by comparison.  the pose isn't very interesting, there's not much going on, and the atmosphere is exactly what most other people probably drew, bleak, dark, dark, etc...

I think they were looking for pieces that stood out against the rest, that portrayed things differently or dynamically, judging by their selections.

Also, lol at how his scar is on the left side in all the entries, but in the contest details, the pictures show the scar on the right side.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2008, 04:56:43 PM by NAMKCOR »

Varied Artist
Rep:
Level 87
Yeah, I agree with you there.  I wasn't upset that I wasn't selected when I saw the entries that won; it was a pleasant reminder that there are people out there who appreciate a unique style.

As I said before, I already know I have plenty of room to improve, and I work towards improving every day.

Also, the picture in the contest details has his scar on the wrong side.

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
yeah, I figured one of them was wrong, I just didn't know which, and it made me laugh to myself.

I hope you do better in the next contest you choose to enter :)