RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Fan Breakdown

Rep:
Level 88
Unoriginal text here.
My old laptop had a glitch.

It had this glitch twice in the entire time I owned it. So it had the glitch about once a year.

All video games would start lagging in waves. It would go like "fine, fine, fine, fine, LAGGGGG, fine, fine, fine, fine, LAGGGGG, fine, fine... etc... I had to send my laptop in and have a couple hardware pieces replaced to fix the problem.

The first time I never checked to see what caused the problem, but the second time I looked at the repair log. They replaced/repaired the fan.

So, now we know that the fan was the cause of the glitch. And the fan broke down twice.

Now I'm wondering something. Could the fan breaking down be caused by a detachable USB hard drive? Roughly 160 gigs?

If so, do you think the same might happen if I use the detachable USB hard drive with my NEW laptop? I would have it plugged into the system all the time, because I would install games on it.

You zetta sons of digits.
Rep:
Level 91
SMEEEEE HEEEEEE
No, it wouldn't.

Rep:
Level 97
Definitely better than Hitler.
2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2014 Best Musician2013 King of RMRK2013 Best Musician2013 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2013 Funniest MemberFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Username2012 Best MusicianFor frequent good quality Wiki writing [citation needed]2011 Funniest Member2011 Best MusicianMost entertaining member on the IRC2010 Most Missed Member
Even if the hard drive COULD do that, why would it matter how much it could store? ???
:tinysmile:

You zetta sons of digits.
Rep:
Level 91
SMEEEEE HEEEEEE
Even if the hard drive COULD do that, why would it matter how much it could store? ???

Different voltage i guess?

Rep:
Level 87
If only life had HDR lighting... (sigh)

Different voltage i guess?

Although possible, I would think it rather unlikely.
All usb 2.0 devices are built the same, delivering power through the outer two prongs, and data through the inner two. I've never heard of the power requirements being different for any usb device. That was something (as far as I know) that could only be accomplished by firewire.

But in answer to AnimeFan's question? Not even close, you might have just had a short somewhere, and the fan was sensing that as heat that needed to be cooled, and pulling way too much current to do that. And dying.
Not the hard drive's fault.