RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Someone convince me...

Rep:
Level 87
To buy a Macbook. I've wanted one for a while, but can someone give me solid grounds for buying one? I don't mean to cause a fanboy war here, I just want pros and cons of a Macbook vs a Windows PC (like I have now).

Sorry can't help you cause macs do suck. Now there will be 8974320497 flames and 889724890327 counter attacks as rmrk demands.
Doesn't change the fact you have no right click,80% of software is not made for your OS,Have issues using with windows,over priced and hardware imcompatibility.

pokeball :)OfflineMale
Cheese
Rep:
Level 95
?
DONT YOU DARE BUY ONE RIGHT NOW.

there is speak of a new macbook update soon, so you wouldn't want to be left with an old one to find out a new one is released the next day.

talk:
- Apple wants to enter sub 999$ laptop market (macbook price drop)
- Apple wants to remove plastic and use aluminum (upgraded looks)
- Apple NEEDS to upgrade hardware (upgraded performance)

this + free back to school ipod and 100$ school savings = WAIT FOR A WHILE
Watch out for: HaloOfTheSun

( ´ิ(ꈊ) ´ิ) ((≡^⚲͜^≡)) (ી(΄◞ิ౪◟ิ‵)ʃ)
Rep:
Level 102
(っ˘ڡ˘ς) ʕ•̼͛͡•ʕ-̺͛͡•ʔ•̮͛͡•ʔ (*ꆤ.̫ꆤ*)
2014 Avast Ye Merry Pirate!2013 Avast Ye Merry Pirate Award2012 Avast Ye Merry Pirate AwardFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2011 Most Unsung Member2011 Avast Ye Merry Pirate2010 Avast Ye Merry Pirate Award
Well what would you like in your notebook? Performance? Or OSX and the OSX-only programs?

Turns out, with either option (Macbook or normal laptop) you can have both.

- You can buy an actual macbook, and get the OSX and OSX-only programs. You can also boot XP or use crossover on it if you need to run one of the zillions of non mac programs. If you want performance though, be prepared to pay way, way over the actual cost of the components (the money it costs apple to produce the higher spec product) to get a higher end model.

- Alternatively, you can get a normal laptop, pay closer to the cost of the components inside and get much better performance for your money. It's illegal for them to refuse to refund the cost of vista included with most laptops also, if you push for it they have to refund you, usually on the order of $100-150 which can save you more money and you can just put XP on it, If for some reason you want to be in OSX, simply put OSx86 on it and you can have the best of both worlds for much less money. Macbooks and normal laptops use near identical components, it's only some digital signatures that stop you installing a vanilla OSX onto a non apple laptop  :)

The only downside of the 2nd option is that you won't be seen using an apple product, you can flip it open and there won't be an apple logo showing for all to see. But if you're in the crowd that finds this one of the most important reasons for buying apple's stuff, you wouldn't be making this thread.
bringing sexy back

Rep:
Level 89
well if you want a macbook go ahead. but last i check they were $1900!!! Boe just got a new labtop(no internet until hes at my house) for $700. The only sad thing was that boe's labtop was twice as powerful as the macbook. im saying if you want something thats not as good for more. Then buy a Macbook.

heres his specs
2 processors running - AMD Turion(tm) 64 X2 Mobile Technology TL-60
2.00 GHz Performance Rated at 4.19 GHz
System RAM 3.9 GB
Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium Edition, 64-bit
ATI Radeon X1270 (ATI Radeon X1200 Series (0x791F))
DVD HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-T20F ATA Device

Cheese
Rep:
Level 95
?
well if you want a macbook go ahead. but last i check they were $1900

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/shop_mac/family/macbook

1200$ and 1900$ is a big difference  :D

Rep:
Level 96
2010 Most Attractive Male Member2010 Best Musician
lol @ "macs don't have right click" because they do, and have had it since like 1995 ;8

But whatever, it's not like I really needed to bother smashing his credibility, he kind of did that on his own.

:tinysmile::tinysmile:

Rep:
Level 96
2010 Most Attractive Male Member2010 Best Musician
Buy a Mac if you're a musician who wants to use Mac-only programs like Digital Performer (used by such musicians as Danny Elfman, Pat Metheny, and Dream Theater), and other things like professional grade virtual instrument synthesizers like Spectrasonic's Stylus RMX, Atmosphere, and Trilogy. (But they won't work on an Intel Mac, only PowerPC Mac, so be careful!) Also, be thrilled by the ease of Digital audio and MIDI routing through the rather intuitive diagram-based MIDI setup control panel. No more selecting text from a drop-down menu, now you can physically see what's connected to what! Again, though, that's more of a professional music thing.
Spoiler for:

Actually comes very much in handy in our music labs.

So, I guess, if you're not a musician, don't bother.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2008, 07:15:05 AM by Arlen »

:tinysmile::tinysmile:

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
Project of the Month winner for June 2009
Get one. Make sure you get it with Leopard. It includes Bootcamp [not beta, but the full version with customer support] which is a Windows parallel partition. That just means you can use the Mac any way you could a PC by running their programs. By programs, I would imagine all the Windows fanboys would be concerned with things like games and some other specific Windows programs.  Things Macs normally can't do can now be used and if you need a sleek, easy to use, and intelligent interface with the performance you'd expect for artistic based programs [Music/Art/Photos/Videos], run the Mac partition.  It's easy to switch from Windows to Mac. It's a matter of restarting the notebook. There's no reason not to get one besides maybe the price, but it's worth it. Just make sure you get the warranty.

They are better than PC's.

Also, don't get the retarded ass Macbook Air thing. It's a horrible waste of material. It's only decent for a person who doesn't spend much time on a computer. It lacks a lot of space that an actual Macbook Pro uses, and I don't mean physical space because yes, it's thin and small and looks cool, but if you expect to do work on the computer and store a lot of data like music and videos be ready to lug around an external hard drive. Not to mention it only has 1 usb port and most of the time you'll be using it for a wired mouse or some other external drive forcing you to use the track pad.

Arlen's right about the musician comment. It's extremely extremely useful for anyone who intends to edit such things like music, photos, videos, etc.

Also, my MBPro was $2400. I got it top of the line. It's something I require as a Graphic Designer. [Oh, and mine's a Macbook Pro, not a Macbook.]

And, Arlen, you might not want to smash his credibility but
Spoiler for:
I feel compelled to show him my mouse...

« Last Edit: July 27, 2008, 07:43:03 AM by grafikal007 »

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
P.S.

DO NOT BUY APPLECARE. It's horrible coverage. Put the computer under your own insurance, or your parent's. Whichever. That's if your homeowner's insurance is better than the Applecare. At least that way you can cover it with accidental damages, since Applecare doesn't. And it's a horrible waste of $350.

Shadow Knight
Rep:
Level 91
Ruin that brick wall!
Project of the Month winner for October 2008
80% of software is not made for your OS
Boot Camp.
Be kind, everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\

Also, don't get the retarded ass Macbook Air thing. It's a horrible waste of material. It's only decent for a person who doesn't spend much time on a computer. It lacks a lot of space that an actual Macbook Pro uses, and I don't mean physical space because yes, it's thin and small and looks cool, but if you expect to do work on the computer and store a lot of data like music and videos be ready to lug around an external hard drive. Not to mention it only has 1 usb port and most of the time you'll be using it for a wired mouse or some other external drive forcing you to use the track pad.

Rep:
Level 87
Thanks for all of your responses. I think I'll wait until they release or don't release the new Macbooks, because I heard they're dropping below $999. Until then, OSx86.

Cheese
Rep:
Level 95
?

Rep:
Level 97
Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantSecret Santa 2012 Participant2011 Most Successful Troll
"It will be the best thing since sliced bread..."
>:|

Shadow Knight
Rep:
Level 91
Ruin that brick wall!
Project of the Month winner for October 2008
Be kind, everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.

Cheese
Rep:
Level 95
?
I wanna get a Mac now >_<

now you know why their upgrading it, lol.