RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
[XP] Final Fantasy VIII-2: Legend of the Silver Lion(comment, please!)

Rep:
Level 86
This part of me, I choose not to see.

~"It had to change. I always knew we couldn't keep up this 'peaceful' existence. But the way it changed... was different to what I had expected"~

~Prologue~
On the day of Squall Leonhart's birthday, his celebrations are interrupted quite suddenly by an explosion. Immediately assigned to investigate it, Squall and his comrades have no idea what they are really getting into. Following the incident, a series of horrific and gruesome murders across the world, directly linked to the explosion, turns the investigation into a very serious matter. All suspicions turn to Tempest and Akero, two people who are remarkably alike in both personality and dress to Squall and Rinoa. They know more than they let on about the culprit behind the murders but their refusal to tell anything immediately makes them suspects.
Squall, obviously concerned about the likeness between him and Rinoa and Tempest and Akero, cannot concentrate on this. All he can think about now is the investigation... and, on a more personal note, his own reoccurring nightmare.

Not a complete cast list, obviously, however these are the first frame sprites I've finished. Hehe.

Spoiler for:
Squall Leonhart
Eye:Dark Blue/Grey on occasions
Hair: Brown
Height: 5'9 (he's grown an inch)
Weapon: Grieve Edge
Limit: Renzokuken
Seven months ago, Squall had a hard time expressing his feelings. Nowadays he can express his feelings, but on occasion will forget and will get reminded by his girlfriend, Rinoa. Unlikely as he is, he is the commander of Garden, and can be quite and inspirational speaker if need be. Over the past couple of months Squall has been suffering horrific nightmares and has almost resorted to insomnia to escape them.

Rinoa Heartilly
Eye: Brown
Hair: Black
Height: 5'4
Weapon: Shooting Star
Limit: Angel Wing and/or Combine with Angelo
Rinoa was once the "princess" of a resistance faction in Timber called the "Forest Owls". She met Squall after her group hired SeeD to confront the president. She now lives inside Garden and is preparing for her written exam, so she too can become a SeeD. She's open and honest with her feelings, making her difficult to be around at times, but she's also very caring and kind. She's the only one 'allowed' to tell Squall to express his feelings with out getting told to butt out.

Zell Dincht
Eye: Blue
Hair: Blonde
Height: 5'8
Weapon: Ehrgeiz
Limit: Duel
Zell, at 18 years old, still can't let go of his knack to "do now, think later". However his honesty and contribution to discussions is helpful at times; however his occasional loud mouth can get him and his friends in trouble. He, while exploring Esthar on one of his messenger routes, found Grieve Edge for Squall.

Selphie Tilmitt
Eye: Green
Height: 5'3
Weapon: Strange Vision
Limit: Slot
With a bouncy personality and care-free attitude, Selphie sticks out from the group like a sore thumb. However, everyone enjoys having her around- she can turn a serious situation into a laugh-fest in moments. She's very interested in music and piloting, having taken up a piloting course 5 months ago (and is doing very well). She and Irvine have a stable relationship but it can erupt when Irvine "reverts" to his old ways and lays his charms on other girls.

Quistis Trepe
Height: 5'6
Weapon: Save the Queen\
Limit: Blue Magic
Quistis Trepe is a quite calm and collect young woman however she becomes frustrated easily and gets depressed of small things. Normally the only one to keep her head in tense situations most of the group look to her for advice when confronting large problems (except for Squall, of course)

Irvine Kinneas
Eye: Purply-blue
Height: 6'0
Weapon: Exeter
Limit: Shot
Irvine can be very uncaring and frivolous at times, but he cares deeply for Selphie and all of his other friends. A talented sharp-shooter, he gets the jitters when everything goes down to him. He was the only one to remember that the group all went to the same orphanage; when the cards are down, Irvine is a sensitive and rather serious guy. (Explaining how Squall and Irvine somehow get along)

Seifer Almasy
Height: 6'2
Weapon: A modified version of the Punishment (it's very light)
Limit: No Mercy
Seifer can often be arrogant and stuck-up upon himself (with a right) however the events seven months ago have given him a sense of self-restraint and modesty. Contrary to his behavior seven months ago, Seifer seems repentant on his behavior. The group's convinced that Squall told him off; they both deny this whole-heartedly.

Fujin
Eye: Red
Hair: Silver
Height: 5'8
Weapon: Shooting Star
Limit: Sai
Fujin is a young woman who follows Seifer as both a leader and a friend. Contrary to her short, sharp manner of speech, Fujin cares deeply for both Raijin and Seifer, and has her own concerns and fears. She refuses to reveal how she lost her eye, however many suspect that her father damaged it severely.

Raijin
Height: 6'4
Weapon: Metal Snake
Limit: Raijin Special
Raijin is a rather hot-headed person who talks before he thinks, often getting him in trouble with Fujin. However he's honest and caring, and a little naive at times. Him and Zell enjoy sparring sessions which are often very close, and both believe the mutual 'friendship' between Squall and Seifer will eventually get shattered.

Laguna Loire
Eye: Green
Height: 5'9
Weapon: Y2K-Mega
Limit: Desperado
There aren't many words in the dictionary that describe Laguna, however 'moron' maybe be one of them. Not one to think matters through, he acts upon what his heart is telling him to do. He believes the pen is mighter than the machine-gun, and his boundless energy and compassionate nature cause Squall to look upon him with a sense of distaste. As Squall's father, he's not sure how to approach him. He tries to avoid discussing Raine due to his own guilt that he left her, Squall, and Ellone on their own.

Ward Zabac
Height: 7'
Weapon: Longinus
Limit: Massive Anchor
Ward Zabac is one of Laguna's two friends. Despite his almost scary appearance, Ward has a heart of gold and is really a kind, sensitive person. He can't speak after his voice-box was damaged, however what he wants can normally be seen on his face.

Kiros Seagill
Weapon: Lethal Strike
Limit: Blood Pain
Kiros was the brainiest of the group consisting of Laguna, Ward and himself. A dedicated soldier who followed Laguna after he quit, Kiros stood by Laguna through both the hard and the low times. Normally, Kiros is the one who can see what Ward is thinking first.

Nida Merinda
Eye: Yellowish Brown
Height: 5'7
Weapon: Doubled-edged Chinese Blade and Giant Shuriken
Limit: Ninjitsu
Nida is a very ambitious teenager however his meek personality makes him blend into the crowd. Raised in Galbadia but choosing to attend Balamb Garden instead, Nida passed his SeeD exam alongside Squall, Selphie and Zell. He mainly specializes in ninja skills and is extremely fast in battle.

Xu (pronounced Zu) (Last name unknown)
Eye: Brownish blue
Height: 5'6 1/2
Weapon: Dual-weilds rapid fire revolvers
Limit: Trigger Happy
Xu is second in command at Garden, behind her younger commander, Squall. Xu is quite serious, but has a bright sense of humour and a passion for Triple Triad. Her, Quistis and Dr. Kadowaki make up the "Woman's Club" where the discuss serious matters, men, cards and occasionally what the more immature girls are doing.

Tempest
Eye: Greeny-Blue
Height: 5'8 1/2
Weapon: Gunblade (Revolver)
Limit: Satsuriku
Tempest is a cold, inexpressive person who hates having other people involved in her affairs; quite similar to Squall, really. She has an identical scar across her face, which she says she got in a sparring session. She knows a lot more than she lets on, however seems kind of protective of Squall's friends, for some, unknown reason.
Clothing Description: Female version of Squall's clothes. She doesn't wear pants, but a black, pleated skirt. Her crossed over belts are red, and she's wearing below the knee boots with around five decorative belts strapped across each. The strangest feature is the fact she possesses copies of Squall's jewellery: her appearance, personality and the jewellery both play a part in the story.

Akero
Hair: Black (roughly cut)
Weapon: WhirlBlade (Weapons Monthly December Edition[Pinwheel])
Limit: Wolf Howl
Weapon Description: Many people prefer the long range projectile weapon called the "Blaster Edge". However, aside from being versatile, the Blaster Edge does not to much damage. So, inspired by the invention of the "Gunblade" an inventor created the "WhirlBlade", combining the Blaster Edge with a long sword. The sword is double-edged, and versatile in both slashing and stabbing. This currently model is equipped with the Pinwheel projectile weapon, and other weapon projectiles are being experimented with.
Despite the the Whirlblade being versatile it is very heavy and is still not as refined as the Gunblade. Skeptics are sure that the Whirlblade will never measure up to the genius of the Gunblade, which speaks for the unpopularity of the weapon.

Akero is very kind and caring- but can be rather stubborn sometimes and speaks his mind without a sense of reservation. Prone to accidentally let something slip about what's going on, he too knows more than he actually lets on. He, however, is more willing to reveal than Tempest, his honest nature sometimes gets the better of him.
Clothing Description: Black leather pants with a red belt to hold them up. He's wearing a black shirt, a medium sleeved hooded light blue jacket, which is zipped up to around his chest and a a pair of fingerless gloves blue gloves on each hand.

Non-Playables
Ademla, Eirene, Kavlin, Quentin, Gale, Slykia, Lightning, Edward.
People mentioned occasionally by Tempest & Akero. It seems like they are Tempest's and Akero's friends, but they refer to them in past tense.
Dr Odine
The scientist of Esthar. His part in the game isn't revealed until Part (disc) 3.

~Features (at current)~
Fully animated side-view system
Completely custom graphics (Including animated ones like this: XD)
Triple Triad
Active Time Battles (system put together by DerVVulfman and co.)
Custom Musical Score (currently in production...)
Evented intro before title screen
Critical Limit Breaks
Switch System (that actually looks like FF8's =P)
Hit %
Tons of Add-ons (seriously, but not all of them that'd be ridiculous!!)
And lol, I have two themes for the game =P.
"Crawling" by Linkin Park (English Theme)
"Noble Roar" by Yousei Teikoku (Japanese- Opening theme from the anime "Innocent Venus". The lyrics suit this game so much it's freaking ridiculous)

~Recruitment~
Ya, we're recruiting.
Scripter- For the Junction system and Battle End thingy. And that's it.
Aiding Spriter- For tilesets. I need someone experienced, and I may pitch in with them- but I wouldn't be recruiting if I was good at them =p.
I also need some basic resource stuff, mainly animations and battlebacks.

~Team~
SorceressKyrsty- Director, Writer, Eventer, Spriter
McTricky-Musician, story opinions
Crosswalker- Musician, story opinions

Screenshots

-stabby stabby stabby stab. Working on half-decent tiles and characters in order to actually have A DECENT screenshot. Please note a lot of graphics have altered (for the better), but I'm still looking for opinions on them.

« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 03:28:39 PM by modern algebra »

Rep:
Level 86
Project cancelled due to more pressing matters, like learning how to make tilesets and make maps :P.
I'll leave this thread open just incase someone takes interest in it.
If anyone wants the full "skeleton" story, just PM me. Maybe someone else will have time for this.

Rep:
Level 86
Hey, I restarted this project  ;8. I've been working it on for more than a month now but I wasn't on this forum. I figured I might get more offers for help if I posted on more than one forum :).

So, not cancelled, actually very active.  :D

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Most Unsung Member2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Favorite Staff Member2012 Most Mature MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best Veteran2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Most Mature Member2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2010 Most Mature Member2010 Favourite Staff Member
Good to hear. Good luck with the project.

Rep:
Level 86
Quote from: Sorceress Rinoa
Character Themes: I think Final Fantasy VIII was the only FF on PS that didn't have character themes (actually I'm sure of it since I have the entire FF9 album and know that FF7's charas had their own themes). It'd be awesome to have character themes for moments when a character is being focused on.

Actually, I know for a fact Spuall had a theme, and I believe the others did as well. The themes weren't used as normal ones were though; they weren't used during introductions, nor during special scenes for a selected character. They were actually used in such events as battles or towns related to the characters. For instance, the third final battle theme(when you fight Griever or however you spell it while it is junctioned with Ultimecia), which is called 'Maybe I'ma Lion' with that spelling, believe it or not, is Squall's theme. That's the only one I know for sure, though.

Anyway, I loved FF8(the best FF imo), so ya, I'm anticipating this. I wish you luck with the project!

Mmmm i fuckin love bears
Rep:
Level 85
Self Proclaimed 'RMXP Legend'
Hurry up and release a demo <.<.
"RPG Tsukuru... BIII EEXXUU!!!!"

Legend of Harpine
-----------------
69% Complete

Rep:
Level 86
Hurry up and release a demo <.<.
I still need tilesets before I can do that, and I would like to have to battle system completely finished. Two people are currently helping with some music, an artist has offered to do the artwork, I have an aiding spriter, but I still don't have a tileset artist or a scripter.
However someone is helping me put a few scripts together in game.
I want this game to be as polished and original as I can possibly get it. I'm using my own template, my own battlers, etc, etc, etc, so a demo is still far-off.

Sorry :(.

Rep:
Level 86
Hey, we're still recruiting for this. Especially tileset artist and scripter. i have a couple of new pictures for you today, including a preview of the menu system that I'm working on  ;D
Spoiler for:
<- The facesets here are by Gozaru. I'm currently making this in an alternate project file so it doesn't screw up my game.

And this is brand-new artwork, by me (those with dial-up beware):

Spoiler for:

Rep:
Level 86
Hey everybody :D. I'm still recruiting for this, however I'm currently working on tilesets.
(man I'm taking on a large load)
This is what it looks like so far:
Spoiler for:
Tell me what you think and what I can improve.

Revolution is not a bed of roses.
Rep:
Level 91
Project of the Month winner for July 2009
The tilesets need work, they lack shading.

Rep:
Level 86
Yes, I'm trying really hard to improve. I'm used to shading people, not furniture. I've been looking at the RTP to try and get an idea for the beds. I think I need to shade the top of the wall, too.
And that damn wall ornament is driving me nuts...

A Random Custom Title
Rep:
Level 96
wah
The Silver Lion better be Roph. >:( Lol anyways, this game looks like it could turn out pretty nice.

Rep:
Level 86
New Screens! =).

Spoiler for:
GONE!!
« Last Edit: June 05, 2009, 03:14:45 PM by SorceressKyrsty »

Rep:
Level 85
Zaldek Wielding Yaktuzema
i'd like to make some suggestions. Umm. first you should try to get rid of the SP usage, because in final fantasy VIII, it wasn't needed, and you should find some better battle sprites or edit them to acually fit the games background, because they look way too cartoonish for final fantasy VII.

Rep:
Level 86
I know, I'm still looking for a scripter. Currently, I've changed the display to not show SP but skills still use it :(. Check the post above yours for a screeny.

Also, I'm not planning on using the FF8 backgrounds. Whether I get some bg's from a website, or get some one to draw and colour them, I'm in no way planning to use the FF8 backgrounds.

Rep:
Level 84
98. “OMGWTF” is not a spell.
Ah, Final Fantasy VIII.
Already thought nobody would like this game - except for me and one of my best friends.  *lol*
Anyway, good luck with the project, I'll keep an eye on it and will definitely play the demo as soon as you release one.
But don't stress yourself.  ;)

Rep:
Level 85
I am the wood of my broom
2010 Project of the YearProject of the Month winner for January 2010Project of the Month winner for January 2009Project of the Month winner for April 2010
should find some better battle sprites or edit them to acually fit the games background, because they look way too cartoonish for final fantasy VII.

It's her style, you can't expect her to make a 100% appeal like in the original, personally I think they're alright

Rep:
Level 86
It's her style, you can't expect her to make a 100% appeal like in the original, personally I think they're alright

New Screens, these'll be the last for a while.
Spoiler for:
GONE!!

And, two black and white artworks. At the moment a friend of mine is looking for a colourist 'cause I suck.
Spoiler for:
GONE!!
I need to update the first post, the musician placement is filled :D.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2009, 03:14:32 PM by SorceressKyrsty »

Rep:
Level 84
puking up frothing vitriolic sarcastic spittle
should find some better battle sprites or edit them to acually fit the games background, because they look way too cartoonish for final fantasy VII.

You can't expect her to make something that everyone likes, but I can expect her to have a single style instead of 3 different styles that don't blend together.

Rep:
Level 86
What? The tilesets, characters, and battlebacks? I'm not keeping the battlebacks because they're RTP. I'm a noob tileset artist at best. I'm trying to get a style that fits with the characters down, and I thought I did but obviously not. The wall autotile is from the RTP, which needs to be fixed, but I thought I had everything else pretty much fixed.
Meeegghh.

Rep: +0/-0Level 86
Ward Zabac
Height: 7'
Weapon: Longinus
Limit: (i have no idea, can someone remind me :/?)

I believe it's Massive Anchor.

Rep:
Level 86
Hey guys, I know this is a bit of a necropost BUT IT'S STILL ALIVE *creepy zombie music*.

I've updated my sprites with stuff that actually looks decent!! I think. Check the first post. I've been trying to improve my spriting skills  ;D

Also, I've improved my drawing a ton since I last posted. *throws FF8+anime out the window and waves at it*. I will be updating with some of the work very soon.

Also, the Soundtrack consists of about 11 songs at the moment. Only *ONE* (you read right, one) is from FF8 originally, and that's Maybe I'm a Lion. However, I'll probably end up using more than just that (i.e Shuffle and Boogie, the Triple Triad music, Love Grows, which I think is Rinoa's theme, and the other character themes). Another one is Maybe I'm a Lion remix by the Black Mages (did I mention that I'm obsessed with that song...and plus, the game IS based around the GF Griever and its origins...).

Also, about the huuuuggggeeeee cast list, did I mention only 11 of those are permanent party members? I'm not telling you what happens to the rest, because that'd spoil the surprise, hehehe.

Rep:
Level 84
Is a New Zealander
Olala, sounds interesting. The character sprites look really well done - the one where Squall puts his arm on his hip brings back memories. :D

Very interested in how this one turns out.
I'm much too lazy to put an actual signature here.

Rep:
Level 86
Thanks for commenting on the sprites! I've worked hard on them, I remember the first sprites for this game lol  :tpg:

and...HEY, WAIT A MINUTE! Who changed Akero's limit break?!?!  ??? :mad:

also, follow this link: here to see some art I've done for this game. (Posting the image would murder the thread, lol)
« Last Edit: June 06, 2009, 09:36:58 AM by SorceressKyrsty »

Rep:
Level 81
Triple Triad O_O ok i am in and ready for this