RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Reconstruction

Rep:
Level 88
Unoriginal text here.
I'm clearing out and reinstalling Windows 98 on my oldest computer. It's a big desktop with 140 megabytes of RAM, and about 7 Gigabytes of hard drive space. Sucky, but not completely useless.

My dad was going to use it for typing.

Well, this computer is loaded with glitches. Which is why I gotta wipe everything and start anew. It's full of remaining old files of programs that I uninstalled by simply deleting the files to the recycle bin, because I didn't know any better as a little kid. It's full of stuff that keeps starting up when windows starts, even when I uncheck the option to do so. It's full of random files in random locations. It's full of crap.

So, can someone please tell me how to reinstall the OS for a Windows 98, and delete everything on its partition? It's far different than an XP. Microsoft article says to reinstall the OS once the computer has entered the desktop. But that won't delete the partition. However, if I tried doing it the XP way, it wouldn't take me to the partition selection screen. I fear if I delete the partition, I won't be able to reinstall the new OS since I don't know how besides doing it at the desktop, which won't be possible if the partition is deleted.

EDIT: Please read my second post.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2008, 10:05:47 PM by Animefan »

A Random Custom Title
Rep:
Level 96
wah
Then get XP ?_?

Rep:
Level 88
Unoriginal text here.
Install XP on a 7 gig, 140 ram computer? Why don't I just try to run Oblivion on a cell phone!?

I HAVE a windows XP. It's a very nice computer. I also have a nice XP laptop. I'm talking about my THIRD computer.

I'm sick and tired of saying this, but fuck it.

"Don't tell me if I should or shouldn't, just tell me HOW!"

Actually, I figured it out. I just need to know how to delete the partition on a windows 98. I need to know how to delete it so that all data is wiped.

Can anybody tell me how to do that? Please?
« Last Edit: April 09, 2008, 10:18:32 PM by Animefan »

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
Rep:
Level 96
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
GIAW 14: 2nd Place (Hard Mode)2013 Biggest Drama Whore2013 Zero to HeroParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.
Select everything, right click and choose delete. It worked for my C: drive.  ;8
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

( ´ิ(ꈊ) ´ิ) ((≡^⚲͜^≡)) (ી(΄◞ิ౪◟ิ‵)ʃ)
Rep:
Level 102
(っ˘ڡ˘ς) ʕ•̼͛͡•ʕ-̺͛͡•ʔ•̮͛͡•ʔ (*ꆤ.̫ꆤ*)
2014 Avast Ye Merry Pirate!2013 Avast Ye Merry Pirate Award2012 Avast Ye Merry Pirate AwardFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2011 Avast Ye Merry Pirate2011 Most Unsung Member2010 Avast Ye Merry Pirate Award
Windows XP will run perfectly fine on 7 gigs of space and 140 megs of ram. You're like triple the requirements for XP. XP is also a hell of alot more stable than 98, uses a better file system (NTFS) that will better suit your dad's needs, etc.

Just install XP on it, seriously.

I used to run XP on a pentium III 500 Mhz with 128 megs of ram and a 10 gig HD. It ran perfectly ok, and I even gamed on it (Quake III and other games around that generation). Hell, before that I was using XP on a Pentium 200Mhz with 96 ram and a 4.3Gb drive.

Install XP on it and then come back and make another thread, I/we'll help you slim it down and that box will be a perfect typing machine =)
« Last Edit: April 09, 2008, 10:28:13 PM by Roph »
bringing sexy back

Rep:
Level 88
Unoriginal text here.
I can't install XP on it. It won't let me install any OS unless I put the windows 98 disk in first, which prompts it to allow me to start the installation when I turn it on. Unless you're telling me to install XP on it while it's already on and at the desktop. But I can't wipe the data that way.

I need to know how to wipe my partitions for a 98 before installing ANY OS on it.

Rep:
Level 98
2010 Best Veteran2014 King of RMRK2014 Favorite Staff Member2014 Best Counsel2014 Best Writer2014 Most Mature Member2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2014 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2013 Favorite Staff MemberSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.Secret Santa 2012 Participant2011 Best Counsel2011 Best Writer2010 Funniest Member2010 Best Writer
Take out your HD, break it, get a new one. Save up your japanese cartoon women money for a while.
you awoke in a burning paperhouse
from the infinite fields of dreamless sleep

Rep:
Level 88
Unoriginal text here.
Take out your HD, break it, get a new one. Save up your japanese cartoon women money for a while.

... what... is... your... PROBLEM!

PARTITION DELETION! DO IT, HOW DO I? I need to wipe the data.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2008, 11:08:32 PM by Animefan »

( ´ิ(ꈊ) ´ิ) ((≡^⚲͜^≡)) (ી(΄◞ิ౪◟ิ‵)ʃ)
Rep:
Level 102
(っ˘ڡ˘ς) ʕ•̼͛͡•ʕ-̺͛͡•ʔ•̮͛͡•ʔ (*ꆤ.̫ꆤ*)
2014 Avast Ye Merry Pirate!2013 Avast Ye Merry Pirate Award2012 Avast Ye Merry Pirate AwardFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2011 Avast Ye Merry Pirate2011 Most Unsung Member2010 Avast Ye Merry Pirate Award
If you're able to, enter your BIOS and set it to check CDROMs for booting from. Then put the XP disc in.

Then it'll let you boot the XP disc, which before installing XP will let you format the drive (in NTFS too, vastly superior to FAT32 (windows 98)).

Alternatively you should be able, while booted into 98, to just put the XP disc in and run it from inside 98. It should give you some options like new install or upgrade, and you should pick new install of course =)
« Last Edit: April 09, 2008, 11:42:44 PM by Roph »
bringing sexy back

Rep:
Level 98
2010 Best Veteran2014 King of RMRK2014 Favorite Staff Member2014 Best Counsel2014 Best Writer2014 Most Mature Member2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2014 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2013 Favorite Staff MemberSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.Secret Santa 2012 Participant2011 Best Counsel2011 Best Writer2010 Funniest Member2010 Best Writer
lol my problem is a secret hushhush.

Also doesn't 98 have a partition in the BIOS already, somewhere around system wipe?

I've never messed with 98 lolz
you awoke in a burning paperhouse
from the infinite fields of dreamless sleep

Rep:
Level 88
Unoriginal text here.
How do I access "BIOS" on the windows 98?

Rise From The Ashes!
Rep:
Level 91
"Time to bring the Law!"
Project of the Month winner for September 2009
It depends on your chipset.

When you boot up your computer, it should do the normal check and it should have something like "Press X to goto Setup", "X" being the key. The key is normally the delete key, but different chipsets are now using one of the F-keys as the setup key.

In short, boot up the PC and press the key that says it will take you to Setup.

Sailor Man
Rep:
Level 95
So about that money...
You could purposely run a Del tree virus, THEN install win 98.  :/ It's not exactly the 'correct way to do things but it works.

pokeball MazOfflineMale
Rep:
Level 85
Good old
Code: [Select]
format C:
should work. (You need to write it in command prompt).

But you mmight need to boot from windows CD after that (I'm not sure), so you should really first try to access BIOS settings to enable booting from CD. On some really old machines, BIOS could not start CD itself, because CD-drive needed drivers provided by OS. (and BIOS is the thing which starts up before OS). If that is the case, you may need to create a boot (floppy) disk, then format the hard disk, boot from boot disk, install the CD drive's drivers (which you should also get before demolishing your existing setup with format), and then install Windows. Boot disks can be obtained for example from http://bootdisk.com/. It is also possible WIN 98 allowed creation of bootdisk from some system tools.

Most typical keys to access BIOS setup are F2, F8 and F5. Try hitting these when your computer is starting. (when cpu runs POSTs, before windows is starting)

Rep:
Level 88
Unoriginal text here.
Do we have Windows XP uploaded on this site?
I installed my own into the 98, but it wants me to activate it, and I don't feel comfortable activating two computers with the same code. Besides, my 98 isn't connected to the internet.

Is there like a hacked Windows XP here?