RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Scolling Map script

Rep:
Level 88
I R 3V1L!!111!!1
Okay. This is quite a thing I'm going to be asking for... For the people who have played Legend of Zelda A link to the past, remember when you walked off the screen and it would scroll to the next map. I was wondering if this is possible to get in VX trhough script.
I'm asking about this script for a friend. Although it would be interesting to have.

If you need clarifying. Ask me.. its kinda hard to explain.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2008, 07:08:09 AM by Doom_master1122 »

Shadow Knight
Rep:
Level 91
Ruin that brick wall!
Project of the Month winner for October 2008
...oh wow.
You see, it is already implemented in RMVX.
It is called loop, and can be adjusted in the map propertie when you make a new map.
Be kind, everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.

Resident Cloud
Rep:
Level 91

Rep:
Level 86
  I don't think he's asking to just have the map loop over upon itself, but more of a transfer where the map just scrolls to the next map without the usual fade in/fade out.  For example, he's got a world map of 200x200 sectioned off into 50x50 squares.  The map doesn't scroll past those boundaries as he reaches the edge.  Now when he goes from the NW square to the SW square, it pans down and now the SW square is the current focus of the map and doesn't show anything past those boundaries when he gets near the edges.

This is what I believe he's asking a script for, but I could just be making things up. :-\

Resident Cloud
Rep:
Level 91
could you make some diagrams :D

Shadow Knight
Rep:
Level 91
Ruin that brick wall!
  I don't think he's asking to just have the map loop over upon itself, but more of a transfer where the map just scrolls to the next map without the usual fade in/fade out.  For example, he's got a world map of 200x200 sectioned off into 50x50 squares.  The map doesn't scroll past those boundaries as he reaches the edge.  Now when he goes from the NW square to the SW square, it pans down and now the SW square is the current focus of the map and doesn't show anything past those boundaries when he gets near the edges.

This is what I believe he's asking a script for, but I could just be making things up. :-\

I thought of that but I personally think the looping in VX is much smoother than that of Zelda.
Maybe when Doom_master1122 sees it he'll like it.

Rep:
Level 88
I R 3V1L!!111!!1

Yes this is correct.
I thought of that but I personally think the looping in VX is much smoother than that of Zelda.
Maybe when Doom_master1122 sees it he'll like it.

I dont know. I saw that option but i haven't used it. I don't know if it'lll do that, ill try though =/

Rep:
Level 86
could you make some diagrams :D

I hope these do.

Here's a map not broken up into neat squares:
Spoiler for:

Now when the player is in one of the areas, as soon as those trees show up on the map, it will not scroll the map any further, making an artificial edge within the map, thus confining the camera to that area that the black box shows in this picture:
Spoiler for:

When the character moves to the next area, say the SW part, the camera pans over to that area, following the player, and will now only look at that area where the black box is shown.
Spoiler for:

Resident Cloud
Rep:
Level 91
could you not split each section into indivual maps.

skanker's game in a week vx features a town with a similar construct to your above diagrams.

http://rmrk.net/index.php/topic,25037.msg317031.html

Rep:
Level 102
2014 Biggest Narcissist Award2014 Biggest Forum Potato2014 Best Non-RM Creator2013 Best Game Creator (Non-RM)2013 Best IRC ChatterboxParticipant - GIAW 112012 Most Successful Troll2012 Funniest Member2012 Best Use Of Avatar and Signature space2012 Best IRC ChatterboxSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for November 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2010 Most Successful Troll2010 Biggest Forum Couch Potato2010 Best IRC Chatterbox

skanker's game in a week vx features a town with a similar construct to your above diagrams.

Ahref, watch part of this. Notice how when he's outside, and enters a new area of the map, it pans? That's basically what he wants. {ignore the part where he walks into the cave)

EDIT: It seems the script should just have a panning transition, and have separate maps, so it doesn't lag.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2008, 02:54:15 AM by I Rock, Man »

Rep:
Level 88
I R 3V1L!!111!!1

Ahref, watch part of this. Notice how when he's outside, and enters a new area of the map, it pans? That's basically what he wants. {ignore the part where he walks into the cave)

EDIT: It seems the script should just have a panning transition, and have separate maps, so it doesn't lag.
True thats what i want.
However i shold also state that it should beable to use someting along the lines of the call script. That way I can toggle panning.
Basically Toggle the panning off when entering a cave or house. And toggle panning when moving to another part of the map. To avoid glitches from panning from map to house. That just wouldnt work too well. =/

Shadow Knight
Rep:
Level 91
Ruin that brick wall!
I dont know. I saw that option but i haven't used it. I don't know if it'lll do that, ill try though =/
So, have you?

Rep:
Level 102
2014 Biggest Narcissist Award2014 Biggest Forum Potato2014 Best Non-RM Creator2013 Best Game Creator (Non-RM)2013 Best IRC ChatterboxParticipant - GIAW 112012 Most Successful Troll2012 Funniest Member2012 Best Use Of Avatar and Signature space2012 Best IRC ChatterboxSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for November 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2010 Most Successful Troll2010 Biggest Forum Couch Potato2010 Best IRC Chatterbox
So, have you?
He doesn't want map looping.

Watch part of this. Notice how when he's outside, and enters a new area of the map, it pans? That's basically what he wants. {ignore the part where he walks into the cave)

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Most Unsung Member2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Most Mature Member2012 Favorite Staff Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best Veteran2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Most Mature Member2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2010 Most Mature Member2010 Favourite Staff Member
It's a nice idea for a script.

I'd be interested in seeing the way whoever creates it manages the scrolling and overlap.

Rep:
Level 87
In the end, we realize our insignificance.
Okay. This is quite a thing I'm going to be asking for... For the people who have played Legend of Zelda A link to the past, remember when you walked off the screen and it would scroll to the next map. I was wondering if this is possible to get in VX trhough script.
I'm asking about this script for a friend. Although it would be interesting to have.

If you need clarifying. Ask me.. its kinda hard to explain.
Well dude, looks like you and me are going to have to just deal with what we got then until someone comes up with a script. I'll talk to you later about the game.

Rep:
Level 102
Ehem.

I wouldn't mind using this script. All it needs to be is a scrolling transition from one map to another, and allow the user to select which maps to use the effect on.