RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
[Writing] Folk Tale

Furry Philosopher
Rep:
Level 94
Rawr?
2013 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)Randomizer - GIAW 11Gold - GIAW 11 (Hard)Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2012 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)2012 Best RPG Maker User (Mapping)Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantGold - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for September 2008For taking a crack at the RMRK Wiki2011 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)2011 Kindest Member2011 Best Veteran2010 Most Deserving Of A Promotion2010 Best RPG Maker User (Technical)
   Once upon a time, there was a vast green forest known as Walden Woods. It was the home of many simple woodland creatures. The squirrels, the chipmunks, the birds; they all came to know the place as their home. But the most famous of the animals were three individuals: Bart the Bear, Felix the Fox, and Owen the Owl. They were fierce rivals, always trying to outdo the others in just about everything. Whenever there was a competition to be had in the forest, you could guarantee that the three of them would be there.

Bart was well known for being the strongest in the forest. He could topple trees with a flick of his wrist, and crush rocks with his bare paws. He worked out everyday, bench-pressing fallen trees and using boulders for punching bags.

Felix, however lacking in strength, was known to be the quickest in the forest. He sprinted laps around the forest everyday without ever getting tired. He practiced nimble acrobatics just to show off his flexibility. The inhabitants of the forest even took to giving him the nickname “Orange Lightning”.

Owen, although neither strong nor quick, was known to be the wisest and most intelligent animal in all of the forest. Using his wits, he often outsmarted his rivals in their competitions. Everyday, the animals in the forest would line up at his tree, begging him for his advice on various matters.

Well, one day, the three of them found a sign nailed to one of the trees. It read: “Attention, inhabitants of Walden Woods. This is a friendly reminder that hunting season is due to start tomorrow. Just an FYI. Sincerely, your friends at the Gaming Commission.”

Bart laughed aloud as he turned to his rivals and said, “Hah! This is nothing but a joke for me. No hunter could possibly best me, for I am just too strong for the humans to catch me!”

Felix laughed at the bear and said, “With the way you stand out, you’ll be the first one that the hunters catch. But truly, no hunter could possible best me, for I am simply too fast for any human to catch.”

Owen hooted scornfully at the two of them and said, “With the attitude that the both of you have, neither one of you will last long before the hunters catch you. As for me, no hunter will possibly best me, for I am wise enough not to get caught.”

Thus the final competition was set in motion. The object of the game was simple: the last one to still be alive at the end of hunting season would be the winner, while those who were shot and killed, skinned of either their fur or feathers, and had their insides digested by persons unknown would be the losers.

The next day at the crack of dawn, hunting season opened in Walden Woods. The first one to be found was Bart the Bear. He released a furious roar and lunged powerfully at his attackers; but alas, it turned out that he was not strong enough to deflect a bullet using only his forehead.

Felix was found next. He sped through the forest, nimbly dodging the hunters whenever he spotted them. Unfortunately, he soon discovered that he was neither Superman nor Neo, and that being faster than a speeding bullet just wasn’t possible.

Owen, however, was nowhere to be found. The hunters spent all day looking for him, but never found him. Indeed, he was fast asleep in a tree somewhere, waiting for the hunters themselves to go to sleep before heading out for his daily activities. No hunter was able to best him, for he was wise to avoid trouble altogether.

And that, is why owls now only fly at night.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2015, 10:04:28 AM by boe »

Totalidiot
Rep:
Level 86
Nayr "Total" Infinity
Wow. So the bear did not know he could deflect a bullet with his forehead? I thought that was common knowledge nowadays.