RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Murder Mystery

Rep:
Level 90
Returned from the dead.
Right, I think it's time to make an accusation.

As Ethan knew of the murder before the guests arrived, he must have either planned it or committed suicide.

I accuse Ethan of obtaining Emily's bathrobe belt somehow, and committing suicide using it. The belt was then somehow slipped through the grate where no-one could find it.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2008, 07:55:20 PM by Rune »
Sincerely,
Your conscience.

Totalidiot
Rep:
Level 86
Nayr "Total" Infinity
I expand upon Rune's theory. With Ethan comitting suicide, he somehow obtained Manuel's fingerprints and put them on the door, then hid the gun in Rick's room to confuse the detectives.

Furry Philosopher
Rep:
Level 94
Rawr?
2013 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)Randomizer - GIAW 11Gold - GIAW 11 (Hard)Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2012 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)2012 Best RPG Maker User (Mapping)Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantGold - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for September 2008For taking a crack at the RMRK Wiki2011 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)2011 Kindest Member2011 Best Veteran2010 Most Deserving Of A Promotion2010 Best RPG Maker User (Technical)

Bravo, Rune, Nightwolf, and totalinfinity! You guys got the solution!

The story begins with Ethan's health. His health was pretty bad; in fact, he was dying. He had only a few more months to live. That's when he decided to play one last practical joke on his old friends and prove to them once and for all that he was smarter than they ever would be. To him, suicide was preferable than dying in some hospital bed.

He dismissed all of his servants for the weekend and made the necessary preparations. After his guests arrived, the day proceeded as a normal until that night. After all the guests had fallen asleep, Ethan went upstairs (via elevator) and started planting evidence. He stole a bathrobe belt from Emily's room, planted a gun in Rick's room, and lifted some fingerprints from Manuel's room. None of the guests had heard anything, because all three of them had been drugged during their dinner and had fallen asleep shortly after going into their rooms.

Next, Ethan made a noose from the belt and attached the end to one of the upward-going cables through the grate on the elevator ceiling. He then carefully applied Manuel's fingerprints to the elevator buttons, and ever so gently...pushed the down button. The noose tightened, his neck broke, and eventually the belt tore and slipped up and out through the grate, leaving only a single fiber on Ethan's body where it would be found the next morning.

It would be the last practical joke that Ethan ever pulled on his friends. Don't think too harshly of him, though. Remember that he made all of them beneficiaries in his will. He felt bad for all the troubles he caused for his old friends, so he left his entire fortune and detective agency for them to share together. So...

First case: solved!

Now it's someone else's turn to post an interesting case.

Rep:
Level 90
Returned from the dead.
My turn, got one set up already :P

There are four gang members, Gary Hegman, Lawrence Corghet, Bill Drake, and Henry Shorman.

On Tuesday the 6th April at 2:26, the gang leader, Kevin Kruge was found dead in his office with a bullethole through his forehead. A simple pistol, recently fired, within the last hour, was left beside him.

The gun has been examined, and all four other gang member's fingerprints were on both the gun itself and the trigger.
Sincerely,
Your conscience.

Furry Philosopher
Rep:
Level 94
Rawr?
2013 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)Randomizer - GIAW 11Gold - GIAW 11 (Hard)Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2012 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)2012 Best RPG Maker User (Mapping)Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantGold - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for September 2008For taking a crack at the RMRK Wiki2011 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)2011 Kindest Member2011 Best Veteran2010 Most Deserving Of A Promotion2010 Best RPG Maker User (Technical)
Where were the four suspects in the last 60 minutes (aka what's their alibis)?

I love Firerain
Rep:
Level 97
=D
FIrst of all, Eddy was a big bastard ;-;

Now, if there's a gang the gun may have belonged to someone in the gang or it could have been of the victim.
Who'se gun was it?
Arlen is hot.

Rep:
Level 90
Returned from the dead.
All four suspects were known to be in the town within the last hour. However, one witness says he spotted Corghet walking towards Kevin's office around half an hour before.

The gun belonged to the whole gang, all four suspects had obviously passed it around, as all of their fingerprints were on the gun
Sincerely,
Your conscience.

Furry Philosopher
Rep:
Level 94
Rawr?
How many bullets have been fired from the gun?

Rep:
Level 90
Returned from the dead.
Two, but it appears only one bullet was used to kill Kruge.
Sincerely,
Your conscience.

Furry Philosopher
Rep:
Level 94
Rawr?
Was there another bullet found in Kruge's office?

Rep:
Level 90
Returned from the dead.
Sincerely,
Your conscience.

Totalidiot
Rep:
Level 86
Nayr "Total" Infinity
For all four gang members, what is your connection towards Kevin?

I love Firerain
Rep:
Level 97
=D
Who is the witnesswho spotted Coggy somewhere else?
Arlen is hot.

Rep:
Level 90
Returned from the dead.
For all four gang members, what is your connection towards Kevin?
All four suspects worked under Kruge.

Gary: "That guy gave me nothing but stick. The only reason I didn't just walk out is because he promised to track me down and kill me if I did."

Lawrence: "I was more or less his slave. Basically, I did all the dirty, dangerous work, while the others got the easy jobs."

Bill: "Kev was my Cousin. I was the only one treated fairly by him, and the others bullied me because of that."

Henry: "I was underpaid. he barely gave me enough pay to look after myself, let alone a wife and kids."

Who is the witnesswho spotted Coggy somewhere else?
An ex-worker for the gang and Kevin's brother, James.
Sincerely,
Your conscience.

I love Firerain
Rep:
Level 97
=D
Why was James fired/ why did he leave?
Arlen is hot.

Rep:
Level 87
Bill might be innocent. If he was being bullied, and was gonna kill somebody, he probably would've killed the others, not Kevin, who treated him fairly.

Gary and Lawrence seem to have a more valid reason for killing Kevin (if one of them did), but Henry's alibi doesn't seem like a good enough reason for killing him. Gary could've killed him just to get out of the gang, while Lawrence could've killed him out of frustration of having to do all the dirty work.

So, 3 questions:
1.) Is it known who the gun's original owner is?
2.) If so, who is it?
3.) Was there any money missing that might've been stolen?

It's possible that Henry killed Kevin in order to steal his money.

I love Firerain
Rep:
Level 97
=D
The first two are already answered..
Arlen is hot.

Rep:
Level 90
Returned from the dead.
Why was James fired/ why did he leave?
He felt he was too old to carry on working as a gang member. So he left.

Bill might be innocent. If he was being bullied, and was gonna kill somebody, he probably would've killed the others, not Kevin, who treated him fairly.

Gary and Lawrence seem to have a more valid reason for killing Kevin (if one of them did), but Henry's alibi doesn't seem like a good enough reason for killing him. Gary could've killed him just to get out of the gang, while Lawrence could've killed him out of frustration of having to do all the dirty work.

So, 3 questions:
1.) Is it known who the gun's original owner is?
2.) If so, who is it?
3.) Was there any money missing that might've been stolen?

It's possible that Henry killed Kevin in order to steal his money.

Check above posts for 1 & 2.
3. No money was missing at the time the body was found. But when the room was searched for evidence, all of the money Kruge possessed was gone.
Sincerely,
Your conscience.

Rep:
Level 87
Right. I should've looked above before I asked that. But anyways, that increases the probability that it could've been Henry who killed Kevin. But there's not really any more evidence that could convict him. After all, one of the others might've killed him and just took the money just out of anger.

Rep:
Level 90
Returned from the dead.
Sincerely,
Your conscience.

Furry Philosopher
Rep:
Level 94
Rawr?
I'm guessing that it's either Lawrence, James, or Kevin himself who did it. The other three were known to be in town and no one saw them near Kevin's office before the murder, so it's less likely to be any of them. Since the money was not missing at the time the body was found, it's likely that one of the gang members (most likely Henry) took the money later. I don't have enough information to accuse anyone yet though.

Let's see, did James have any grudge against his brother? And did Kevin leave a will?

Rep:
Level 90
Returned from the dead.
Kevin and James were very close friends, it is unlikely that there will have been any arguments or grudges going on between them.

Kevin did not leave a will.
Sincerely,
Your conscience.

I love Firerain
Rep:
Level 97
=D
Did Kevin have anything against any member?
OR did any member have a feeling of "wtf, he's an idiot" feelings towards him?
Arlen is hot.

Rep:
Level 90
Returned from the dead.
Kevin only treated his cousin Bill fairly, as he was family. However, he had no grudges against any member.

Gary, Lawrence and Henry had got angry at Kevin for mistreating them, if that's what you mean with the second question
Sincerely,
Your conscience.

Furry Philosopher
Rep:
Level 94
Rawr?
I'm going to take a wild guess here and say it was Lawrence Corghet.

The other three gang members were in town and were not spotted by the witness James. The only reason James would lie is if he was the murderer himself, but he had no known motive and the only fingerprints on the gun were that of Kevin and the four gang members, so he can almost completely be ruled out as a suspect. Therefore Lawrence, who did have a motive and whose fingerprints were found on the gun, is the only suspect seen near the scene of the crime and is most likely the murderer.

I sound just like a policeman who halfway through the TV show goes and arrests the wrong person based on circumstancial evidence...