RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
RMRK, Its finances, and you.

( ´ิ(ꈊ) ´ิ) ((≡^⚲͜^≡)) (ી(΄◞ิ౪◟ิ‵)ʃ)
Rep:
Level 102
(っ˘ڡ˘ς) ʕ•̼͛͡•ʕ-̺͛͡•ʔ•̮͛͡•ʔ (*ꆤ.̫ꆤ*)
2014 Avast Ye Merry Pirate!2013 Avast Ye Merry Pirate Award2012 Avast Ye Merry Pirate AwardFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2011 Avast Ye Merry Pirate2011 Most Unsung Member2010 Avast Ye Merry Pirate Award
[update, 14th Feb 08] Many thanks to Arwym, Zylos and one anonymous donator for their contributions  :).

Also, to people suggesting ad-clicking sprees: That is a bad idea. Firstly, it is dishonest, and secondly, google is smart about such things, and simply clicking as many ads as you can will just invalidate your clicks. Click ads that interest you by all means, but don't click ads because of the fact that they're ads on RMRK please :)

=========== Original post ===========

The monthly cost to host RMRK and everything associated with it is $95-105, depending on how generous you are, such as if you include domains and other things.

Monthly turnover from google ads on RMRK is around $20-30ish, $45-55 maybe on an exceptionally good month. Yesterday, RMRK made 40 cents. Google only pays out once your balance passes $100 (so we can next expect them to in april possibly, or more likely may)

RMRK's reserve cash pool is enough for this month's (feb) bill on the 21st, but nothing for march or april so far.

The yearly cost to operate RMRK is around 1,200-1,300 dollars. See a problem here? Read on.

We think we could probably squeeze all the money required to run rmrk from RMRK itself, but there's a few reasons why we do not do this.

1) We hate ads. RMRK has a banner ad at the top, but this is only on the default theme. Also, any member can hide them. We really don't want to force ads on members.

2) Donations. One problem is lots of members are underage, so don't have any cards or paypal accounts or anything like that. Also, there's pretty much no incentive. Let's compare with another RPG Maker site, hbgames.org, which gets quite a few donations (or "sponsors") and quite likely makes a profit. This is relatively easily done in the following ways:

Limited to donators:

- badge and colour of username (well, we do this)
- extra pm box space (all members on RMRK receive unlimited storage space)
- can moderate your own topics (again, everyone here can)
- custom titles (again, free to all here. You actually get two, one is only editable by mods and admins but it's done for free on request)
- special forum (I guess the closest equivalent here would be extra access or RMRK+, but these are done on merit and have nothing to do with money)
- file space (every member here can attach ridiculous amounts to a post if they wanted to, up to 80Mb (8mb file limit, 10 files per post) in just one post. Downloading of attachments is allowed for anybody, even guests, so long as they have permissions to view the forum it is attached in of course.)
- Hosting and an @hbgames.org email address. We don't do this for 2 reasons. Firstly, we are essentially a download site and a forum. We are not a webhosting or email service, and we are not going to outperform other dedicated (and even free) providers in those fields. Secondly, security. Should we really be giving out php enabled webspace to any John Doe out there willing to waste a buck? We didn't think so either. Possibly a project hosting feature would be neat, but this, like all other RMRK perks, would be given free to all RMRK members.
- did we miss something?

Anyway, if there's a feature, We'll give it to everyone. We don't really believe in "selling" extra services like some other sites do. If it doesn't cost us anything extra to provide those perks, so why should we charge for them?.

Therein lies the obvious downside though. The lack of added perks results in alot less donations.

Don't see this new post as a whining ~boohoo our site will not pay for itself :baww:~ post, as it is not. RMRK has operated on a loss for years now, but as is popularly known, money does not grow on trees, and our reserves are currently a little dry.

Those who were ever curious about donating should Read this page on donations. We won't try and sales pitch you into clicking that donate button with "packages" like some other sites do, you will get absolutely nothing, sans this small badge, but if you have the means and are willing to help out this community, this is what we're in need of the most right now.

:blizj:
« Last Edit: February 14, 2008, 01:49:41 AM by Roph »
bringing sexy back

Rep:
Level 98
2010 Best Veteran2014 King of RMRK2014 Favorite Staff Member2014 Best Counsel2014 Best Writer2014 Most Mature Member2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2014 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2013 Favorite Staff MemberSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.Secret Santa 2012 Participant2011 Best Counsel2011 Best Writer2010 Best IRC Chatterbox2010 Best Writer
you awoke in a burning paperhouse
from the infinite fields of dreamless sleep

( ´ิ(ꈊ) ´ิ) ((≡^⚲͜^≡)) (ી(΄◞ิ౪◟ิ‵)ʃ)
Rep:
Level 102
(っ˘ڡ˘ς) ʕ•̼͛͡•ʕ-̺͛͡•ʔ•̮͛͡•ʔ (*ꆤ.̫ꆤ*)
2014 Avast Ye Merry Pirate!2013 Avast Ye Merry Pirate Award2012 Avast Ye Merry Pirate AwardFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2011 Avast Ye Merry Pirate2011 Most Unsung Member2010 Avast Ye Merry Pirate Award
I dunno why I write "we" and "our" since it's pretty much just me now, lol
bringing sexy back

A blessing
Rep:
Level 91
<3 Back.
Because you are too awesome to count as just one?  :o  Like, you are an army of super Rophs.  LOL.  :)

Furry Philosopher
Rep:
Level 94
Rawr?
2013 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)Randomizer - GIAW 11Gold - GIAW 11 (Hard)Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2012 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)2012 Best RPG Maker User (Mapping)Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantGold - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for September 2008For taking a crack at the RMRK Wiki2011 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)2011 Best Veteran2011 Kindest Member2010 Best RPG Maker User (Story)2010 Best RPG Maker User (Events)
It makes it sound more official saying "We need your help!" rather than "I need your help!"

Now then, let's see what I can do to help out here...

Edit: Done, although I forgot to put my username in the notes before I sent it! Oh well, that's not important.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2008, 03:54:26 AM by Zylos »

Full Metal Mod - He will pillage your women!
Rep:
Level 93
The RGSS Dude
I'd help (I love this site <3) but I've got too many expenses going on right now. Not to mention I don't really have a job -_- . Maybe once I get some extra $ in the bank. :(
"The wonderful thing about Tiggers
Is Tiggers are wonderful things
Their tops are made out of rubber
Their bottoms are made out of springs

They’re bouncy, trouncy, flouncy, pouncy
Fun, fun, fun, fun, fun!
But the most wonderful thing about Tiggers
Is I’m the only one, I’m the only one."

I am epic, you are not.
Rep:
Level 93
Defender of Justice
It makes it sound more official saying "We need your help!" rather than "I need your help!"

Now then, let's see what I can do to help out here...

Edit: Done, although I forgot to put my username in the notes before I sent it! Oh well, that's not important.
Haha, i did the same. =P

House of Nostalgia
Rep:
Level 87
You loved it.
Seems to me I will have to donate to help because I would lose all my awesome should the unspeakable happen, everyone help or get mouth herpes. <3 RMRK

Licks
Rep:
Level 91
Sexual Deviant
Im broke, but Im donating in spirit.

Furry Philosopher
Rep:
Level 94
Rawr?
2013 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)Randomizer - GIAW 11Gold - GIAW 11 (Hard)Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2012 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)2012 Best RPG Maker User (Mapping)Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantGold - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for September 2008For taking a crack at the RMRK Wiki2011 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)2011 Best Veteran2011 Kindest Member2010 Best RPG Maker User (Story)2010 Best RPG Maker User (Events)
You're donating your spirit? How much is it worth?

A blessing
Rep:
Level 91
<3 Back.
You can click on the ads, too.  :)  Just don't do it like spam.  Because Google Adsense people think you click on purpose and, well, you know.

You zetta sons of digits.
Rep:
Level 91
SMEEEEE HEEEEEE
You can click on the ads, too.  :)  Just don't do it like spam.  Because Google Adsense people think you click on purpose and, well, you know.

I'll randomly click the add's if that helps ^_^

Shadow Knight
Rep:
Level 91
Ruin that brick wall!
Project of the Month winner for October 2008
If the ads are "interesting" enough, I occasionaly click them.
Hope it helps. :lol

The only thing I can donate now is prayer. :P
Be kind, everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.

pokeball JAPOfflineFemale
I used to know nothing
Rep:
Level 89
I'll donate some of my Chinese New Year money if I got credit card.

WAIT, MY MOM SAID SHE'LL SET UP ONE.

Just hope PayPal works here...

Rep:
Level 87
"Dear diary, jack pot"
so wait, clicking on the google ads will get you money? I can do that! :D
Deceased, the memories of time flow ever lasting. Let the passion of the living and the dead touch you, and give you their wisdom.

I'd sooner die than leave your side, I'd sooner rust than let you die.

Meet me in the middle
Rep:
Level 89
or left of the dial.
For frequently finding and reporting spam and spam botsSecret Santa 2012 Participant
I thought the title said "RMRK, it's fiances"

Rep:
Level 94
2012 Most Attractive Male MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for June 20092010 Best Counsel
I'm going to get a little sentimental here...

About two years ago, I was looking for some game music, and I came across a site that had nearly everything I was looking for. A little while later, I noticed that there was also a chat room, and that the conversations were... interesting, to say the least. I jumped in, and was barraged by memes that apparently had been around longer than I had. Being a musician, the first thing I took note of was someone posting link after link to songs and weird pictures. I started talking to him, but I didn't know much about the whole net scene. After I proved myself by posting some of my songs, we immediately hit it off. This person's name was Roph. After I got sick of that room, and left, he invited me here, to the RMRK chat/site. I liked it more because it seemed closer knit than other places I'd been. Sort of like a secret place, almost.

I love this place. I love all the people here, and I have had some surprisingly great times staring at this phosphorescent monitor. I haven't been coming around a lot lately, due to my new career and life just doing what it does. I have made a lot of friends here, though, and would be saddened to see others miss the chance to experience what goes on here. I don't have a paypal account, and do not want to get one.  I'm sure there would be a way for me to send a money order, and I would be glad to do so. It is time to help give to others what was so freely given to us. Hopefully people will follow my lead, and help redirect this beautiful place from the crushing jaws of the Wayback Machine.

Roph: PM me your address, and the month of March is taken care of.

Rep:
Level 97
Definitely better than Hitler.
2014 Best Musician2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2013 Funniest Member2013 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2013 Best Musician2013 King of RMRKFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Username2012 Best MusicianFor frequent good quality Wiki writing [citation needed]Most entertaining member on the IRC2011 Best Musician2011 Funniest Member2010 Most Missed Member
:cry: :love:
:tinysmile:

Rep:
Level 87
"Dear diary, jack pot"

You've read what i said wrong. I meant You as in RMRK. Not me.
Deceased, the memories of time flow ever lasting. Let the passion of the living and the dead touch you, and give you their wisdom.

I'd sooner die than leave your side, I'd sooner rust than let you die.

Furry Philosopher
Rep:
Level 94
Rawr?
We love you too, Holk.

Meet me in the middle
Rep:
Level 89
or left of the dial.
For frequently finding and reporting spam and spam botsSecret Santa 2012 Participant

You've read what i said wrong. I meant You as in RMRK. Not me.
I wasn't talking about you. I was adding my input. If I wanted to reply to your post I would've quoted you and/or said your name in the post. Read moar.

Rep:
Level 96
2011 Most Missed Member2010 Zero To Hero
Holk achieves still more greatness. :tpg:

A blessing
Rep:
Level 91
<3 Back.
Holk!  *HUGS*  Thank you so, so much!   :D

Rep:
Level 98
2010 Best Veteran2014 King of RMRK2014 Favorite Staff Member2014 Best Counsel2014 Best Writer2014 Most Mature Member2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2014 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2013 Favorite Staff MemberSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.Secret Santa 2012 Participant2011 Best Counsel2011 Best Writer2010 Best IRC Chatterbox2010 Best Writer
I love this place. I love all the people here, and I have had some surprisingly great times staring at this phosphorescent monitor. I haven't been coming around a lot lately, due to my new career and life just doing what it does. I have made a lot of friends here, though, and would be saddened to see others miss the chance to experience what goes on here. I don't have a paypal account, and do not want to get one.  I'm sure there would be a way for me to send a money order, and I would be glad to do so. It is time to help give to others what was so freely given to us. Hopefully people will follow my lead, and help redirect this beautiful place from the crushing jaws of the Wayback Machine.

Roph: PM me your address, and the month of March is taken care of.

:baww:
you awoke in a burning paperhouse
from the infinite fields of dreamless sleep

Rep:
Level 76
I love minus rep! :D
if i ever get rich im gonna donate a mil! ^^,