RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Virtual Reality

Shooting for the "MEMBER MODERATOR OF THE YEAR 2007" Award
Rep:
Level 89
Hi, there.
  Recently I had to respond a few question about Virtual Reality for one of my college courses and later on next week my classmates are going to have to respond to what I wrote and question me. I just wanted some of you guys' feedback on my response to prepare me for any surprising questions I may fumble on.

Assignment:

Virtual Reality was just a dream a few short years ago. Now integrating sound, vision and feel is allowing us to design, repair, and be entertained in a way that used to be science fiction. Virtual Reality is developing fast.

- What is the state of virtual reality as an emerging technology? Is it just hype or is it a reality?

- What in roads has the technology of virtual reality made in the business community? Has virtual reality been left mainly to service industries and manufacturing?

- Is virtual reality destined to occupy a "place of honor" in business circles or is virtual reality relegated to the game development profession?

- Research the development of virtual reality as an emerging technology and summarize your findings.

My Reponse:

Virtual Reality has been a hype for the past 3 decades and its popularity received a boost with the release of the Disney film "Tron" and the spawn of video games. The thought of being able to enter a digital world animated by a computer was just that, a thought. It wasn't till programmers started thinking of ways to incorporate senses into their creations that Virtual Reality did in fact become a possibility. Video game company Nintendo released the Virtual Boy in hopes of furthering interest in Virtual Reality programming to start a trend but failed when its console didn't meet expectations from the media. The hype soon flat lined but because of the media's loss of interest in Virtual Reality, it only inspired programmers that much more to continue research and development for a better Virtual Reality.

In technology today, Virtual Reality has become much more useful in many ways other than video games. It is being used to educate doctors and nurses, replicate military strategies for future use, help recovering patients of sicknesses/diseases/head trauma to regain use of certain senses, and so on. Virtual Reality can no longer be labeled under one category since its sudden boom in business importance.

The thought of Virtual Reality as a whole is that it was never intended to become so successful in the video game industry. It just so happened that the technology put into Virtual Reality was what future generations of video gamers were looking for. But that doesn't mean that is where Virtual Reality will inhere to in the future. Video game companies have started to become a corporate matter in the United States and is starting to see many business opportunities as well. As technology advances especially in Virtual Reality, video game companies and other corporate businesses will inevitably join together and begin forming high tech companies that will produce concepts that we have only dreamt of. The use of Virtual Reality will be key in the near future, for instance, over seas auto companies merging with auto companies here in the United States will be able to design and discuss their ideas together in a Virtual Room riding the need to travel back and forth between countries.

So, is Virtual Reality destined to hold a place of honor in the business world? Only time can tell but with recent advances in technology, the possibility is high.

Feedback please.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2008, 03:23:57 AM by ChaosSpartan28 »
Sig by MacGravel

Absolutely the one chosen by fadark
Rep:
Level 94
GAAAAAAAAY
In 20 years, I'll frag you in virtual reality.

Resource Maker
Rep:
Level 91
One possible question could be...

How can we be sure that right now what we see and do isn't Virtual reality, much like that of the Matrix...?

(Our Bodies could be nothing more than a Suite filled with feeling reseptors to make the game seem real, we could be creatures very different to that of a Human...)

But on  a Serious note... Your write is pretty good and I doubt you will find anyone raising questions on it like mine.  ;)

My RMRK Wikki:- http://wiki.rmrk.net/index.php/Landofshadows
Make a Donation for my Resource making:- https://www.paypal.me/landofshadows