RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Religion in video games.

Rep:
Level 94
2012 Most Attractive Male MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for June 20092010 Best Counsel
I wanted to make this thread because its really interesting to me to see how religions have influenced factors in video games. If anyone knows of any, I'd be interested to hear them. Please try not to spam up this thread, if you can.

Final Fantasy 6 - Ever wonder why the main character's name is Terra, while in Japan it is "Tina"? Well, I think that I've figured this one out on my own. Bear with me though, it could be a stretch:
 Tina is born from the union of a human and an Esper. (In Japan, Espers were called God Beasts.) Tina's mother is named "Madonna", which is also a name that the virgin Mary is sometimes given. The name "Tina" is actually a condensed form of "Christina", which is a feminization of "Christ". This makes Tina, in effect, a female version of Christ. I think that the translators, in keeping with Nintendo tradition, changed the name to obliterate all traces of religious undertones in the game.

Chrono Trigger - I think there is a website dedicated to this, but there are a few obvious things that stick out. Chrono is sort of like Jesus in parts, but there are some major liberties taken. For instance, Chrono meets up with Balthazar, Melchior, and Gaspar, the three time mages. These are the names of the three wise men that follow the star of Bethlehem to the manger where Jesus is being born. Also, the three wise men were also known as "magi" or "mages".
 Later on in the game, Chrono is killed by Lavos, and when you gather the things needed to resurrect him, (which in itself is a reference,) you climb to the top of Death Mtn. Once the time egg does its thing, and Chrono is brought back to the living, the tree lights up like a Christmas tree.

I love Firerain
Rep:
Level 97
=D
I dont know about relegion, but if anyone has played Stretch Panic then they'd know.
Like, its ...its not showing anything bad but its just weird. The basic point is to plast big "b's" with your magic scarf. no blood, no nudity but its just weird for the basic gameplay to be blasting b's instead of just being a sideplay.
Arlen is hot.

Rep:
Level 91
Blah blah blah...
Project of the Month winner for November 2008
Xenogears and Xenosaga are HEAVILY packed with religious allusions. A lot of things were based on the old testament, such as Abel and Cian, the Zohar, "5th/Neo Jerusalem", the cross and crucifixion.

- -

Rep:
Level 97
Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantSecret Santa 2012 Participant2011 Most Successful Troll
Assassins Creed, set in the jesus loving era of the crusades. (well kinda)

Rep:
Level 94
2012 Most Attractive Male MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for June 20092010 Best Counsel
Xenogears and Xenosaga are HEAVILY packed with religious allusions. A lot of things were based on the old testament, such as Abel and Cian, the Zohar, "5th/Neo Jerusalem", the cross and crucifixion.

I've heard this one before, and was going to list it, but I didn't know enough of the details because I got bored with Xenosaga like 3 hours in.

moew
Rep:
Level 91
Queen Princess
2013 Most Missed Member2012 Most Missed Member;o hee hee <3For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki
La Pucelle is practically a big bomb of religion. You have like, nuns with boobs bigger than Dolly Partons killing demons. The original japanese version had crosses just about everywhere (For example, Priers hat and Croix's weapon) but they were removed in the american/european version. They also thought about changing Croix's name since it means cross in french but idk about that. It doesn't exactly meddle with christianity or any other religion but it does revolve around it. The Goddess in the game could be related to Jesus in the sense that she sees herself as an embodiment of light, not a savior/god.
:taco: :taco: :taco:

Shadow Knight
Rep:
Level 91
Ruin that brick wall!
Project of the Month winner for October 2008
Religions are funny in video games, very......stereotypical. :lol:
Be kind, everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
Rep:
Level 96
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
GIAW 14: 2nd Place (Hard Mode)2013 Biggest Drama Whore2013 Zero to HeroParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.
command and conquer.

God created Adam and placed him in the Garden of Eden. Then god created Eve. They ate from the Tree of Knowledge, they were banished from Eden. Adam and Eve had two sons: Cain and Abel. Cain, killed Abel, And God banished Cain and marked him and all his children for the crime with a black skin. Cain was banished from the sight of God, and traveled to the land of Nod.

In command and conquer, the main antagonist is kane, who is the leader of nod. He dies many times and has been alive for at least 112 years (or 2000 years if you believe that kane is cain).

~BanisherOfEden
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

Rep:
Level 96
2011 Most Missed Member2010 Zero To Hero
In Earthbound, they removed all the red crosses on the hospitals. :b

Rep:
Level 94
command and conquer.

God created Adam and placed him in the Garden of Eden. Then god created Eve. They ate from the Tree of Knowledge, they were banished from Eden. Adam and Eve had two sons: Cain and Abel. Cain, killed Abel, And God banished Cain and marked him and all his children for the crime with a black skin. Cain was banished from the sight of God, and traveled to the land of Nod.

In command and conquer, the main antagonist is kane, who is the leader of nod. He dies many times and has been alive for at least 112 years (or 2000 years if you believe that kane is cain).

~BanisherOfEden

This is the best one I've seen yet. Very detailed, and informative. Keep them coming~

Rep:
Level 98
2010 Best Veteran2014 Best Writer2014 King of RMRK2014 Best Counsel2014 Favorite Staff Member2014 Most Mature Member2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2014 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2013 Favorite Staff MemberSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.Secret Santa 2012 Participant2011 Best Counsel2011 Best Writer2010 Best IRC Chatterbox2010 Best Writer
Killer7 was all about life after death. Each character was, in the end, the same person. The old man, Harman Smith, was about to die, so in his final weeks, he started to create characters off his personality to kill the Heaven Smiles that came to take him away. He flashes through all the places that were major points in his life, trying to stay alive.

: \
you awoke in a burning paperhouse
from the infinite fields of dreamless sleep

Crew Slut
Rep:
Level 93
You'll love it!
For taking a crack at the RMRK Wiki
Eternal Darkness was soaked in religion...
I don't know how to explain more than that, but, there's a lot, it's been a long time since I've played it, though...
Most of the characters were somehow affiliated with a Holy place.

I am epic, you are not.
Rep:
Level 93
Defender of Justice
command and conquer.

~BanisherOfEden
Also, you left out that Nod is a land mentioned in the Old Testament.

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Most Unsung Member2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Favorite Staff Member2012 Most Mature MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best Veteran2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Most Mature Member2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2010 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2010 Best Use Of Avatar And Signature Space
Cain was banished from the sight of God, and traveled to the land of Nod.

?

A Random Custom Title
Rep:
Level 96
wah

?
God was pissed at Cain so he cursed him. Then Cain went to Nod. Simple.

Also, you left out that Nod is a land mentioned in the Old Testament.
I suppose saying that he traveled to Nod would mean it was mentioned. :P

In Earthbound, they removed all the red crosses on the hospitals. :b
Wtf, really? I never noticed...

pokeball JAPOfflineFemale
I used to know nothing
Rep:
Level 89
Nobody mentioned Drakengard? O.o

That game is not straightly connected with any religion IMO, but it still contains complexity about God (in this game, "The Watchers").
Manah, for example, as the main villain in the first game, is possessed by "The Watchers" and wanted to destroy the world, for she was a poor little kid who's abandoned by her very own mother. The Cult of The Watchers took adavantage of her potential for being a vessel and there she was, becoming the evil evil boss. Meh, it was scary when she talks with The Watchers' voice. Ouch. =O
Then Furiae, Caim's sister, The Goddess who took the burden of the Seals to keep the world's balanced but ended up revived as a monster. She also LOVES her very own brother, in... that way. Yea.
If you listen to the theme song, Growing Wings, it mentions The Watchers as well.
There are many religious organizations in this game. Cult of the Watchers, the Knights of the Seal, etc.

Too bad that game is not really popular. It's actually a good one. BLOOOOD

Still, Xeno series contains massive religion content too.

BTW this is a silly one...
Spoiler for:
The Bible Game contains ENORMOUS religion content LOL

OK, forgive me. =3

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Most Unsung Member2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Favorite Staff Member2012 Most Mature MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best Veteran2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Most Mature Member2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2010 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2010 Best Use Of Avatar And Signature Space

?

I was responding to Lord Dante you silly cow. Do they not have cow elementary anymore?

I am epic, you are not.
Rep:
Level 93
Defender of Justice

?

I was responding to Lord Dante you silly cow. Do they not have cow elementary anymore?

oh lol, how did i read over that?
I'm silly :P
Good show old man =D

Rep:
Level 94
Stop shitting up my thread.

BACK TO TOPIC

I am epic, you are not.
Rep:
Level 93
Defender of Justice
Age of Empires always employs a religious building of some sort, and in the first two games you can use holy men to convert your enemies. Also, many technologies researched within these buildings are religion-based (duh), and relate to historical religious attributes and movements.