RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Fate v. Free Will

Rep:
Level 94
2012 Most Attractive Male MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for June 20092010 Best Counsel
That's exactly what you aren't understanding. The past doesn't exist. The past is just an IDEA. Same with the future. Just because we have a word for these things, doesn't mean they exist.

Rep:
Level 87
Things we fear the most have already happened 2 us
and u missed the point that there are no proofs that the past doesn't exist...

past may be an idea,,but u can define it using time as a dimension.
"If u'r about to die,,then think of how good ur life has treated u up to this point.  On the
other hand,,if life hasn't treated u good up to this point,,then take joy in the fact that
it's not going to bother u for much longer."

Rep:
Level 94
2012 Most Attractive Male MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for June 20092010 Best Counsel
I'd be just as excited about time travel as you, but I just don't see it happening.

Lets get back to the topic at hand.

I heard something good today about fate being something that is also relative, by way of our decisions ultimately leading us down the "path" we are intended to be on.

This is similar to Donnie Darko, if you've seen that, in the theory of the universe "course correcting" itself. Verily, if our supposed free will leads us down the wrong path, the universe will converge to set us back on our correct course. That's pretty interesting, although my beliefs don't have anyone being so special as to the universe bowing to them, but it is interesting none the less.

Rep:
Level 87
Donnie Darko must be a hyppocrite.

He says that we are free to make our choice,,but if we choose wrong,,we still get back to the correct path.  Haha.

Anyone ever heard of the Divine Calculator first introduced by Laplace?

It states that the location of EVERY ATOM at ANY GIVEN TIME can be determined through a set of calculations.  A pretty freaky notion if correct,,which means that everything has been predetermined.  So much for free will.......
"If u'r about to die,,then think of how good ur life has treated u up to this point.  On the
other hand,,if life hasn't treated u good up to this point,,then take joy in the fact that

Shadow Knight
Rep:
Level 91
Ruin that brick wall!
Project of the Month winner for October 2008
It states that the location of EVERY ATOM at ANY GIVEN TIME can be determined through a set of calculations.  A pretty freaky notion if correct,,which means that everything has been predetermined.  So much for free will.......
The only thing that is already pre-determined is the time we have to use our free will. Free will is absolute, for to use however we want and whenever we want.
And also, seeing that the topic shifted to TIME, it's probably a good idea to make another topic from this. 8)
Be kind, everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.

The <3 of RMRK
Rep:
Level 87
Alot of good points so far. I agree that we are limited because of environmental and economical constraints. To fate I am not a fan of the word. I think that each person has the ability to make their own personal choices. The choices they make are based on the character that they are and the different checks and balances they have in their life. With each potential decision one has to make in their life starts a web of reactions. Imo with all of the choices in life there are three basic things that will happen: Life spirals down, stays the same or progresses you possitivly. Also I'm pretty religious so this takes me to a /desire/ to "do what I should" or "what ye would have me do" which to others would think that I believe in fate, but I do not. I simply believe that with help I can aspire to walk a down a path that would have the greatest potential for myself as an idivudual and benifit society if and when possible. This being said, I've only asked for "direction" twice and I think "I did the right thing ". Usually my choices are based on, what seems reasonable / rational and within common sense. If I get some crazy ass idea like moving to Alaska to train sled dogs for the iditarod I call people I trust and they tell me I'm a dumbass and it's not brought up again. ;[

"I do whatever my rice krispies tell me to do"

Imo time travel sounds fun but I dont think I'll ever see any results in my life-time.

Rep:
Level 94
Well said. I, too, believe in following a moral compass. At least, I try to as much as possible. Sometimes it's harder than it sounds though, and then is when I just stop thinking and act. For example, going to Utah to visit Kashii. She's probably pissed off at me because I didn't go, but something was telling me that it wasn't the right time.

The <3 of RMRK
Rep:
Level 87
No worries, to that I say, you should have just emailed me and said no :< the anticipation and then the weeks of not hearing from you sucked much~

Rep:
Level 94
Sorry :<

I still <3 you though.

Back to the topic again, then...

Rep:
Level 88
Unoriginal text here.
You're wrong though, because technically we are "time travelling into the future" because we are never staying still. Time, like the things in an older post of mine, is an idea.

You should read some books.

Excuse me? Nobody can be "wrong" in a debate. It's arrogant to say I'm wrong. And don't tell me to read books. Take a look at yourself before you show disrespect towards others.

Shadow Knight
Rep:
Level 91
Ruin that brick wall!
Let's.....ge back on track, shall we?

Rep:
Level 94
You're wrong though, because technically we are "time travelling into the future" because we are never staying still. Time, like the things in an older post of mine, is an idea.

Excuse me? Nobody can be "wrong" in a debate. It's arrogant to say I'm wrong. And don't tell me to read books. Take a look at yourself before you show disrespect towards others.

When you state a false fact, you are wrong. Debate or not. We can be having a debate about chicken nuggets, and if I say "these are made of beef", its still fucking wrong.

Rep:
Level 88
Unoriginal text here.

When you state a false fact, you are wrong. Debate or not. We can be having a debate about chicken nuggets, and if I say "these are made of beef", its still fucking wrong.

YOU BASTARD! YOU HAVE NO WAY OF KNOWING IF MY ARGUMENT IS FALSE OR NOT! NEITHER VIEWS ON TIME CAN BE PROVEN!

Backing it up: We are not time traveling into the future constantly, we are creating a new present constantly. The future can never be reached because it does not exist. We are just setting a new now, every moment that passes. All we are doing is making another past, which is now gone. How on earth can you prove that to be wrong?

You can't prove it RIGHT either. The point is, you can't prove it wrong. Just as I can't disprove YOUR beleif, you can't disprove MY beleif. Quit being an arrogant jackass about your beleif.

Rep:
Level 94
beleif belief

Rep:
Level 87
lol,,flame the idea,,not the person.

Rep:
Level 94
Animefan is like another Elegy, but not in the same way. He's like a person that shouldn't be allowed in ED.

Rep:
Level 88
Unoriginal text here.
Animefan is like another Elegy, but not in the same way. He's like a person that shouldn't be allowed in ED.

Look who's talking. You're the one with a slightly above average amount of arrogance. I was just making my case that you had no right to call my theory false, seeing how there was no way to disprove it. Honestly, I just want peace. If you'd just quit coming back to insult me, I'd quit retaliating. Just give it a rest already, geez.

Rep:
Level 97
Definitely better than Hitler.
2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2014 Best Musician2013 King of RMRK2013 Best Musician2013 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2013 Funniest MemberFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Username2012 Best MusicianFor frequent good quality Wiki writing [citation needed]2011 Funniest Member2011 Best MusicianMost entertaining member on the IRC2010 Most Missed Member
!!!WARNING!!!
A MODERATOR APPROACHES!

Get back to the debate, or I'm going to murder this topic.
:tinysmile:

Shadow Knight
Rep:
Level 91
Ruin that brick wall!
Okay then.

Here are some questions that can help us get back on track:
1)Is one of the other creates the other?
2)Is time another factor in the equation?
3)Can we change fate?
4)What have we achieved in this topic?

HELLS YEAH
Rep:
Level 88
So in a nutshell, I don't believe that any time other than right now currently exists. The past USED to exist, when it was the present. The future WILL exist, when it becomes the present, but only the present exists. Therefore, a destiny has not been set for me, and my life was not predetermined.
Am I the only one of the opinion that this is just a long-winded way of saying "The past exists" and "The future exists"? It's kind of in the definition of the words, and implied in the usages thereof.
Wasn't it decided (after the afore-quoted post) that to be relative, something must exist and be more than an idea? So how is time an idea and relative? Either I'm just having a brainfuck or there's a conflict here. Time IS relative, but it's also more than an idea.

Anyways, the topic of "free will vs. fate" is a very complex question and has been the subject of thousands of discussions and debates and writings and the such by philosophers and would-bes for millennia, so don't expect a satisfactory explanation from an RMRK thread.

Quote from: Animefan
I recall proving people wrong in debates on many occassions, here and elsewhere. It's not arrogance (although I am arrogant, that's a different matter), it's merely that there IS a difference between "true" and "false" (I really do love when people say otherwise, though).
Also, reading is the path to success, didn't y'know? Do read books, it'll do you a lot of good, and it seems that you need to (then, so do I, so don't take that too insultingly). Lastly, he wasn't being disrespectful in the least. So boo on you.
And you misinterpreted his post in other ways, too, it seems, because in your next post you missed the entire point of what he said. It seems you got so angry at someone daring to call you wrong you didn't bother to figure out what he was trying to say, or maybe you're just as dense as I'm starting to think.

I believe in free will, but with a good deal of influence from other sources (people, ideas, experience). I guess that's a bad answer- a one-sentence and vague response to such a hairy and complex question. But until my opinion regarding the issue is better formulated, it's the best I got.
Quote from: Elegy
It's fucking sad that you and the cat can't stick to the subject and even attempt to defend your little bullshit religion without jumping to personal attacks, maybe thats because evolution is such a stupid idea it's hard to back it up with any claims pertaining to reality.