RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Portable RPG Maker XP

Rep: +0/-0Level 86
Hi there everyone,

This is my first post here but I've been using these forums as a resource for a long time now. I'm a hobbyist RPG maker using RPG Maker XP. I've got a couple games under my belt, and mostly just use it to build games for friends to play, and it's a good way for me to be creative and relieve stress.

I've looked around a lot to try and find out if there was a way for me to use RPG Maker as a portable application. I.E. I'd like to be able to install it onto my flash/portable hard drive so that I can play around with it anywhere. I've looked into some of the portable applications software systems out there like Ceedo and U3 (even the new one Mojopac) but I don't really want to pay the money for that purpose alone, and I'm not even sure that it would work. So does anyone know how I could go about using the software on a flash drive?

If I copy the directories out of my program files folder directly onto my flash drive and try and run RPG Maker it says that RGSS-RTP Standare must be installed. Implying that RPG maker can't find the RGSS-RTP folder when it's on the flash drive. Or perhaps that it's looking for a registry entry to show it where RGSS is installed...I don't know.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, and perhaps others here might find it helpfull as well.

Rep:
Level 87
im bored atm, so here goes:

go start > run, type in regedit, click ok. browse to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Enterbrain\RGSS\RTP\ and extract the key named 'standard' by going file >export. now open that registry key in notepad. edit it to read the location of the rtp on your flash drive. copy that to your flash drive, and doubel click it to merge it ito the registry when needed, and edit it if you have to to make it read the correct rtp location if the disk letter changes... should work

Wow thanks...that's actually easier than I thought it would be...

Appreciate it!

Actually...that didn't work because I don't have admin rights on the computer I wanted to use it on. Oh well...I learned something anyhow. Thanks!

Rep:
Level 86
whould you be able to play it on psp
Bleach is bangin

Revolution is not a bed of roses.
Rep:
Level 91
Project of the Month winner for July 2009
Of course you can't play RMXP on a PSP, you'd need to probably edit some things against the legal agreement to do it, and you'd definatly need ruby on the PSP. Possible, but I'm sure you'd get sued.

Rep:
Level 86
im just asking would u b able to
Bleach is bangin

Rep:
Level 98
2010 Best Veteran2014 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2014 Most Mature Member2014 Best Writer2014 Best Counsel2014 Favorite Staff Member2014 King of RMRK2013 Favorite Staff MemberSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.Secret Santa 2012 Participant2011 Best Writer2011 Best Counsel2010 Funniest Member2010 Best Writer
im just asking would u b able to

I seriously doubt it.
you awoke in a burning paperhouse
from the infinite fields of dreamless sleep

Revolution is not a bed of roses.
Rep:
Level 91
Project of the Month winner for July 2009
Possible, but I'm sure you'd get sued.

Did you not understand that?

Rep:
Level 86
im not gnna do it im just askin..is it possible
Bleach is bangin

Rep:
Level 88
Unoriginal text here.
It is. But you'd need to downgrade the firmware, and download a special os program, or virtual desktop for the psp, im sure homebrew has something like that, or remotely like that available.

It would be similar to the process people go through to emulate games on the psp, only different, and it would be way too much work. In the time it would take to do so, you could easily raise enough money to buy a laptop instead, and just install the program on that.

Rep:
Level 86
oh yeah i 4got about homebrew... but i dnt even have my psp anymore so yeah
Bleach is bangin

Rep:
Level 98
2010 Best Veteran2014 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2014 Most Mature Member2014 Best Writer2014 Best Counsel2014 Favorite Staff Member2014 King of RMRK2013 Favorite Staff MemberSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.Secret Santa 2012 Participant2011 Best Writer2011 Best Counsel2010 Funniest Member2010 Best Writer
RESOLVE N LOCK THIS TOPIC.
you awoke in a burning paperhouse
from the infinite fields of dreamless sleep

Actually...the original question wasn't fully answered yet.

The problem I have is that I don't have access rights to install a registry key on the computer that I wish to use RPGXP on. I'd like to be able to install it onto a portable hard drive and be able to run it solely off of that interface. Any ideas on that possibility?

The registry export thing works well only if you have admin privileges.