RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Eventing Chapter I - Functions Of Messages

Rep:
Level 87
In my own little world...
"Message" Command
This command is usually used for character speech, but can be used for other things such as telling the player that he or she obtained items when he/she opens up a chest. The Message command has special codes in it which allow you to perform special functions, how to do it and their functions follow.

Code: [Select]
\n[x]- Displays a hero name equivalent to the ID number.
\v[x] - Displays a variable value equivalent to the ID number.
\c[x] - Changes the text to the color equivalent to the ID number.
\g - Displays the amount of gold you have in the top-right window.

I’m sure you notice that the first three codes have the x sign, this of course means that a number goes in place of it. The number for hero name and variable value is it’s ID Number. If you go into the database (The button to the right of the ¼ Scale button)you should see on a hero tab. If you haven’t edited the heroes in the tab yet, there should be a highlighted line saying “001: Arshes” The “001” part is his ID number, take note that you can omit the zeros. The same thing goes for variables, it should have an ID number next to it, but we’ll explain variables in the later chapters.

So as an example let’s say I typed this in a message box:

\n[1]:
Hi, my name is \n[1]!

It would show up as:

Arshes:
Hi, my name is Arshes!
Colors are a little different command wise, the default colors are as follows:

0 - White
1 - Blue
2 - Red
3 - Green
4 - Teal
5 - Purple
6 - Yellow
7 - Grey

So if you replaced the x with 1 the text following it would appear blue. Don’t forget that if you just want a word a certain color, that you half to change it’s color back.

________________________________________________________________________________

"Show Choices" Command
This command allows user input by text. Before we start, I want you to know that normal message box will only allow 4 lines. Think about this if you'd like the message and it's options to be in the same text. For example:

If I had two sentences and two choices:
Arshes:
Look here is some candy, what should I do with it?
-Eat it
-I'm not hungry
However, if I had three possible choices it would make another message box like so:
Arshes:
Look here is some candy, what should I do with it?
-Eat it
-I'm not hungry
-Throw it at the homeless man
If you've already tried typing a normal message, you might've noticed that it'll stop you after three lines. However, you are more than capable of adding an extra line by simply adjusting the bottom part of the window that you type your text in.

Now basically by using this command you can cause the conversation to move in different paths. I'll use the example above to show you what it looks like in Rpg Maker..

<>Message: Arshes:
:  : Look here is some candy, what should I do with it?
<>Show Choices: Eat it, I'm not hungry
: [Eat it]
   <>
: [I'm not hungry]
   <>
End
<>
Notice the "<>"? This indicates a empty command line. Let's add a message under "Eat it":
   <>Message: Yummy!
   <>
   <>
End
<>
Now if you choose the choice "Eat it" another message box will appear and say "Yummy!". Now after the commands under "Eat it" is complete, the event skips over "I'm not hungry" and reads what's after End. This is vital to remember.

Ok, almost done with this command. If you notice when you set up the "Show Choices" command there is blue text to the right that says "Cancel Handler" this means that if you press the Cancel Key (X and Esc) the game will automatically select this option.
Disallow - The disables the use of the Cancel Key.
Choice 1 - Selects option 1.
Choice 2 - Selects option 2.
Choice 3 - Selects option 3.
Choice 4 - Selects option 4.
Custom Handler - Executes a different option.
I'll give you an example of the Custom Handler.
   <>Message: Yummy!
   <>
   <>
: [Cancel Handler]
   <>Message: Hey look! It's a babe with cotton candy!
   <>
End
<>
If you press the cancel key a message box would appear and say "Hey look! It's a babe with cotton candy!"

________________________________________________________________________________

"Input Number" Command
Allows the player to input numerical values that's stored in a variable. The second part with this goes with conditional branchs or you can display it in a message box with the "\v" command. Inputting a number takes up one line in a message box and you can only input number up to eight digits long.

"Message Display Options" Command
Very useful for adding a type of style for message commands, the options to edit a message box position follows:
Middle
Bottom
The options to affect the the visibility of the message box follows:
Show
Don't Show
It's very basic and self explanatory, if you want something similer to FFX when Tidus narrates set the options to "Bottom" and "Don't Show. This concludes chapter 1.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2007, 05:57:10 AM by Arkbennett »

Rep:
Level 86
very good but isn't their a different color code that works on rpg maker?
i mean can't you use ff:00000# i think thats how it go?

edit:you really are killing with the tut

Rep:
Level 87

Nope, this was modeled after Rpg Maker Xp.
What your thinking of his HTML. And that's the color black I believe.
Or wait, wasn't black FFFFFF?  ???
« Last Edit: August 19, 2007, 05:54:12 AM by Arkbennett »

Rep:
Level 86

Nope, this was modeled after Rpg Maker Xp.
What your thinking of his HTML. And that's the color black I believe.
Or wait, wasn't black FFFFFF?  ???
i know its for rpg maker xp.
i was looking for the name of it.(new to xp but i know a little about)
i think so?

Revolution is not a bed of roses.
Rep:
Level 91
Project of the Month winner for July 2009
Someone actually bothered to make a tutorial about a default system which all the smart people replace with an AMS?

Other than that, good job :P

Rep:
Level 87
Someone actually bothered to make a tutorial about a default system which all the smart people replace with an AMS?

Other than that, good job

For the newbies, you gotta learn the basics.
As they say,
"Your must learn to crawl before you learn to walk."
Or something like that.

Rep:
Level 87
~Be Cool~
Well I found this usefull  ;D

Good job.

~Be Cool~

Rep:
Level 87
nice tute - are you going all the way through the 3 tabs explaining EVERYTHING?
Always remember you're unique.
Just like everybody else.

Rep:
Level 87
nice tute - are you going all the way through the 3 tabs explaining EVERYTHING?

Thanks!  :D

Originally, yes.
But I may not now.
But I'm leaning torwards a most likely will.
Eventually I'll get bored and want to do something somewhat progressive with my spare time...
Especially since school is to start in a week and a half, so I'll be in a working mood.

Rep:
Level 87
From the graves of dead patriots springs a nation
great tutorial it really helped me alot  ;8

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Most Unsung Member2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Most Mature Member2012 Favorite Staff Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2011 Most Mature Member2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Best Veteran2010 Most Mature Member2010 Favourite Staff Member
Pretty simple, but some beginners may need it so I will move it to the database