RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
The Piri Reis map, showing an ice-free antarctica. Est approx 4,000BC

( ´ิ(ꈊ) ´ิ) ((≡^⚲͜^≡)) (ી(΄◞ิ౪◟ิ‵)ʃ)
Rep:
Level 102
(っ˘ڡ˘ς) ʕ•̼͛͡•ʕ-̺͛͡•ʔ•̮͛͡•ʔ (*ꆤ.̫ꆤ*)
2014 Avast Ye Merry Pirate!2013 Avast Ye Merry Pirate Award2012 Avast Ye Merry Pirate AwardFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2011 Most Unsung Member2011 Avast Ye Merry Pirate2010 Avast Ye Merry Pirate Award
See attach for map.

This chart is signed by Piri Reis, an admiral of the Turkish navy in 1513.
His high rank granted him access to the royal library of Constantinopel. In his notes he explains that he drew this chart using ancient charts he found in the library dating from 400 BC and before.
His chart shows the westcoast of africa, the northern coast of antarctica and the east coast of south america.

Because this map does not fit in our current view of world history it was sent to the USAF for evaluation. Here is the response letter:

It is not very often that we have the opportunity to evaluate maps of ancient origin. The Piri Reis ( AD 1513 ) and the Oronteus Fineaus [sic] ( AD 1531 ) maps sent to us by you, presented a delightful challenge for it was not readily conceivable that they could be so accurate without being forged. With added enthusiasm we accepted this challenge and have expended many off duty hours evaluating your manuscript and the above maps. I am sure you will be pleased to know that we have concluded that both of these maps were compiled from accurate original source maps, irrespective of dates. The following is a brief summary of our findings:

A. The solution of the portolano projection used by Admiral Piri Reis, developed by your class in Anthropology must be very nearly correct; for when known geographical locations are checked in relationship to the grid computed by Mr. Richard W. Strachan ( MIT ), there, is remarkably close agreement. Piri Reis' use of the Portolano projection ( centred on Syene, Egypt ) is an excellent choice, for it is a developable surface that would permit the relative size and shape of the earth at that ( lattitude ) to be retained. It is our opinion that those who compiled the original map had an excellent knowledge of the continents covered by this map.

B. As stated by Colonel Harold Z. Ohlmeyer in his letter ( July 6, 1960 ) to you, the Princess Martha Coast of Queen Maud Land, Antarctica, appears to be truly represented on the southern sector of the Piri Reis Map. The agreement of the Piri Reis map with the seismic profile of this area made by the Norwegian-British -Swedish Expedition of 1949, suported by your solution of the grid, places beyond a reasonable doubt the conclusion that the original source maps must have been made before the present Antarctic ice cap covered Queen Maud Land coasts.

C. It is our opinion that the accuracy of the cartographic features shown in the Oronteus Fineaus [sic] Map ( AD 1530 ) suggests, beyond a doubt, that it also was compiled from accurate source maps of Antarctica, but in this case of the entire continent. Close examination has proved the original source maps must have been compiled at a time when the land mass and inland waterways of the continent were relatively free of ice. This conclusion is further supported by a comparison of the Oronteus Finneaus [sic] Map with the results obtained by International Geophysical Year teams in their measurements of the subglacial topography. The comparison also suggests that the original source maps ( compiled in remote antiquity ) were prepared when Antarctica was presumably free of ice. The Cordiform projection used by Oronteus Fineaus [sic] suggests the use of advanced mathematics. Further, the shape given to the Antarctic continent suggests the possibility, if not the probability, that the original source maps were compiled on a stereographic or gnomonic type of projection ( involving the use of spherical trigonometry ).

D. We are convinced that the findings made by you and your associates are valid, and that they raise extremely important questions affecting geology and ancient history, questions which certainly require further investigation.

We thank you for extending us the opportunity to have participated in the study of these maps. The following officers and airmen volunteered their time to assist:

Captain Lorenzo W.Burroughs in this evaluation: Captain Richard E. Covault, CWO Howard D.Minor, MSgt Clifton M.Dover, MSgt DAvid C.Carter, TSgt James H.Hood, SSgt James L.Carroll, and AIC Don R.Vance."
Lorenzo W.Burroughs
Captain, USAF
Chief, Cartographic Section
8th Reconnaissance Technical Sqdn ( SAC )
Westover, Mass.

It's great and weird when you find stuff that contradicts what's "generally" know or we assume about the past.

For instance, from the Mahabharata:

"Gurkha, flying a swift and powerful vimana (fast aircraft) hurled a single projectile charged with the power of the Universe. An incandescent column of smoke and flame, as bright as ten thousand suns, rose with all its splendor.

It was an unknown weapon, an iron thunderbolt, a gigantic messenger of death, which reduced to ashes the entire race of the Vrishnis and the Andhakas.

The corpses were so burned as to be unrecognizable. Hair and nails fell out; Pottery broke without apparent cause, and the birds turned white.

...After a few hours all foodstuffs were infected...
...to escape from this fire the soldiers threw themselves in streams to wash themselves and their equipment."

Sounds nuclear?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OOPArt is a great and interesting read and place to get started if you explore the sources and related links.
bringing sexy back

Rep:
Level 96
2010 Most Attractive Male Member2010 Best Musician
And once again a gigantic attached image file is completely undownloadable and unviewable by any means on my computer.
Just host it. Please.

:tinysmile::tinysmile:

Absolutely the one chosen by fadark
Rep:
Level 94
GAAAAAAAAY
I already made this topic and it got moved to general chat.
http://rmrk.net/index.php/topic,16130.0.html

Rep:
Level 102
2014 Avast Ye Merry Pirate!2013 Avast Ye Merry Pirate Award2012 Avast Ye Merry Pirate AwardFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2011 Most Unsung Member2011 Avast Ye Merry Pirate2010 Avast Ye Merry Pirate Award
And once again a gigantic attached image file is completely undownloadable and unviewable by any means on my computer.
Just host it. Please.

http://image.bayimg.com/fa/dh/ha/ab/k.jpg
bringing sexy back

Banned
Rep:
Level 88
metalcore loving gay pride christian
I wonder where all those animals and plants that are adapted to Antarctica's current climate came from.

I wonder where all that water was before it became the glaciers that cover Antarctica today.

Rep:
Level 102
Global warming beleivers will refute it almost religiously, but the climate is always changing and the sea levels have always been rising and falling. They expand and contract with the changes in the planet's mean temperature, but it takes hundreds of years simply because the oceans are so damn huge. In a nutshell.

The alternate theory is that this map is fake or something and global warming is all our fault and it's carbon dioxide that's causing it and, the kicker, we're responsible for it, lol.
bringing sexy back

Resource Maker
Rep:
Level 91
I love the sketches of the animals, like the little dudes eating the giant fish...

There is another senario, what if they didn't count large plains of Ice as Islands...?

After all Ice is just frozen water, and can move to a degree...

But I agree about global warming being a lie... After watching that video clip you posted it made things much clearer !!
« Last Edit: July 11, 2007, 02:42:47 PM by landofshadows »

My RMRK Wikki:- http://wiki.rmrk.net/index.php/Landofshadows
Make a Donation for my Resource making:- https://www.paypal.me/landofshadows

Banned
Rep:
Level 88
metalcore loving gay pride christian
I wonder where all that water was before it became Antarctic ice.

I also wonder where all those cold-adapted life forms came from if Antarctica was temperate a few hundred years ago.

Mne eto nado kak zuby v zadnitse.
Rep:
Level 89
U H N
2012 Most Attractive Female Member^_________________^f*ck u >:(LO !!
The alternate theory is that this map is fake or something and global warming is all our fault and it's carbon dioxide that's causing it and, the kicker, we're responsible for it, lol.

imo, it's the SUN'S fault. The sun is the leading cause of global warming.
an6uof hw to aLeme ozle we I

Absolutely the one chosen by fadark
Rep:
Level 94
GAAAAAAAAY
Then we must blow up the sun.

Mne eto nado kak zuby v zadnitse.
Rep:
Level 89
U H N
2012 Most Attractive Female Member^_________________^f*ck u >:(LO !!
It's the only answer.
an6uof hw to aLeme ozle we I

moew
Rep:
Level 91
Queen Princess
2013 Most Missed Member2012 Most Missed Member;o hee hee <3For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki
My ass it is. We'd be screwed anyway, so why waste money on blowin' up the sun when we could spend it on cool things like google and stuff.
:taco: :taco: :taco:

Resource Maker
Rep:
Level 91
Global warming happened in the Bronze age, it was much hotter then than it is now.

Our Green House gases only count for around 2%... Or so I have heard.

My RMRK Wikki:- http://wiki.rmrk.net/index.php/Landofshadows
Make a Donation for my Resource making:- https://www.paypal.me/landofshadows