RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
How do i make a horror game?

Rep:
Level 87
Does anyone know how to make a horror game if so can you post a tut?

If this is in wrong forum please move

Rep:
Level 97
Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantSecret Santa 2012 Participant2011 Most Successful Troll
First you find some paper, then you find a pencil.
Got it? GREAT!
Now you sit down and write a scary story!
Then, you make or find resources that go with your story!
Keeping along?
FABULOUS!
Now, go into rpgmaker...
AND MAKE A GAME!

Rep:
Level 102
2014 Biggest Narcissist Award2014 Biggest Forum Potato2014 Best Non-RM Creator2013 Best Game Creator (Non-RM)2013 Best IRC ChatterboxParticipant - GIAW 112012 Most Successful Troll2012 Funniest Member2012 Best Use Of Avatar and Signature space2012 Best IRC ChatterboxSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for November 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2010 Most Successful Troll2010 Biggest Forum Couch Potato2010 Best IRC Chatterbox
I second that.

Just make a scary story, get scary resources, and make a scary game.

Rep:
Level 87
well doctor sword arent you a helpfull character

Well basicly how do i make creepy maps i need creepy character ship sets

The basic idea is how to make good horror maps or characters sorry if the title got you mixed up

Rep:
Level 97
Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantSecret Santa 2012 Participant2011 Most Successful Troll
OKAY!
OPEN PHOTOSHOP
GET SOME DARK COLORS!!!
AND GET PAINTIN!

Rep:
Level 88
Keep on Baggin'
any chipset can be scary, you just gotta have the right.. ambiance.

that means

a.) scary lighting, either dark and hard to see, or an eerie orange or green glowing, you can do that w/ the tint screen option

b.) scary music, which usually involves very minimalistic and creepy sounds.  sometimes no music is even better

c.) scary sound effects- every once in a while have a creaking floorboard or an raspy breathing sound.

Some friends mend.  Some friends depend.  Some friends lend.  Some friends send.  Friend.

Rep:
Level 87
dont have photoshop im afraid are there any sites where i can download chip sets

moew
Rep:
Level 91
Queen Princess
2013 Most Missed Member2012 Most Missed Member;o hee hee <3For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki
How about google? And if you can't find photoshop, use paint or something.
:taco: :taco: :taco:

Rep:
Level 102
2014 Biggest Narcissist Award2014 Biggest Forum Potato2014 Best Non-RM Creator2013 Best Game Creator (Non-RM)2013 Best IRC ChatterboxParticipant - GIAW 112012 Most Successful Troll2012 Funniest Member2012 Best Use Of Avatar and Signature space2012 Best IRC ChatterboxSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for November 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2010 Most Successful Troll2010 Biggest Forum Couch Potato2010 Best IRC Chatterbox
Why are you scared to get photoshop?

Go search around for some "scary" tilesets.

Rep:
Level 87
any chipset can be scary, you just gotta have the right.. ambiance.

that means

a.) scary lighting, either dark and hard to see, or an eerie orange or green glowing, you can do that w/ the tint screen option

b.) scary music, which usually involves very minimalistic and creepy sounds.  sometimes no music is even better

c.) scary sound effects- every once in a while have a creaking floorboard or an raspy breathing sound.

thanks man you helped alot there

Rep:
Level 87
Why are you scared to get photoshop?

Go search around for some "scary" tilesets.

no im just not paying £25 got a photo edditing thing

moew
Rep:
Level 91
Queen Princess
2013 Most Missed Member2012 Most Missed Member;o hee hee <3For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki
The trial version is 30-days free. Why not use it?

Rep:
Level 97

I'd be scared too guys...

And you dont have to pay for it if you catch my drift.

Rep:
Level 87

I'd be scared too guys...

And you dont have to pay for it if you catch my drift.

erm nope explain?

Rep:
Level 97
OKAY, THIRD TUT!!! WOW I AM ON A ROLLZ!
Go to google! Yup, thats right.
Type in, photoshop + crack
beswarmedwithviruseslol
AND DOWNLOAD THE PHOTOSHOP!

AWESOME AMIRITE?!

moew
Rep:
Level 91
Queen Princess
I was just about to say that  :tpg: now you can make scary graphics. Good LUck  ;8

Rep:
Level 97
Okay well, thanks for the exp. ONWARDS TO LVL 32!

Rep:
Level 87
I wish i had a pony ...
the music is key! sound effects also! a well placed sound effect can scare the crap outta someone

try making all your sound output only at 50% or even better 25%, that way wen someone is playing your game they will naturally turn the volume up to make that 25% sound seem like its 100%,

then when the player is at a really scary point but doesnt know, unleash a 100% volume sound effect, the SE will sound like 175% and it might just scare the crap outta someone!

:)
FF-11 was a tough game, but i beat it! with the help of friends :) www.geocities.com/farflong41

A Random Custom Title
Rep:
Level 96
wah
Just take what they do in movies and other horror games. Put some disgusting, bleeding images and when you do that, make some extra creepy scream play. You should be able to find some of the resources in the RTP, such as the demons and the skeletons. :P

Rep:
Level 87
the music is key! sound effects also! a well placed sound effect can scare the crap outta someone

try making all your sound output only at 50% or even better 25%, that way wen someone is playing your game they will naturally turn the volume up to make that 25% sound seem like its 100%,

then when the player is at a really scary point but doesnt know, unleash a 100% volume sound effect, the SE will sound like 175% and it might just scare the crap outta someone!

THAT IS PERFECT MAN!

Rep:
Level 87
Just take what they do in movies and other horror games. Put some disgusting, bleeding images and when you do that, make some extra creepy scream play. You should be able to find some of the resources in the RTP, such as the demons and the skeletons. :P

hehe im watching some vids on youtube to see how its done you rock also

Rep:
Level 88
If you don't want to use photoshop  Why not gimp?
It's free and once you get the hang of it relativly easy to use

Rep:
Level 87
Kotae Wa Kitte Nai...ii?
How bout  Graphics Gale???

THAT ONE IS AWESOME FOR PIXEL ART (Sprites and etc)
Dude do you break dance?

Rep:
Level 88
PSP

hahaha i agree lmao

Rep:
Level 87
LOSER
Well what are some of your ideas for this game? (doesn't have to be original)

Rep:
Level 91
Blah blah blah...
Project of the Month winner for November 2008
Well you could use RTP everything and it will still be scary. For example here's a nice short game you can try so you can get an idea of what a RMXP horror game might look like.

http://rmrk.net/index.php/topic,15538.0.html

- -

Rep:
Level 87
yeh search for thomas scared the hell out of me the game over music *shudders*

But i was thinking of a mansion type horror

Rep:
Level 87
LOSER
Alright cool should be pretty easy to make a game like that with a mansion.(very)

Rep:
Level 89
Let's attack agressively.
Hmm.......horror game? I could help you.

1. Find some very scary sound (like the ReDead from Ocarina of Time)
2. Find Pictures (Creepy monster, Zombies, ect.)

First, make a scary-looking place, then when you enter it or outside, change the Screen Tone to like 50% (on each).
Next make an event, make it Parrarel Process (inside the scary-looking place), there add the sounds you found. Put the command wait after that.
Next, on the same event (if you want), add Lightning effects, to do that you could:
 a. Add very loud sound of thunders
 b. Flash the screen white for 0.2 sec.
 c. both

Well thats the basic so later ill post the actual command for it (Just tired today)

Also, how can you take a screenshot? Like some do? so it would be easier and show you how it will work on the game.

<3
Rep:
Level 90
My tips are...

Use dark colours

Sudden loud noises

Always tint the screen

Advise players to play at night time

Run away "mini games"

and last but not least like what everyone said, MUSIC IS THE KEY!

~Winged

Rep:
Level 89
Let's attack agressively.
My tips are...

Use dark colours

Sudden loud noises

Always tint the screen

Advise players to play at night time

Run away "mini games"

and last but not least like what everyone said, MUSIC IS THE KEY!

~Winged

thats right! don't forget to add zombies and/or just put a picture that pops out of nowhere with a scary-looking monster.