RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
[Writing] Royal Maiden Air Ship Angel [Science Fiction/Apocalypse Story]

Rep:
Level 98
2010 Best Veteran2014 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2014 Most Mature Member2014 Best Writer2014 Best Counsel2014 Favorite Staff Member2014 King of RMRK2013 Favorite Staff MemberSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.Secret Santa 2012 Participant2011 Best Writer2011 Best Counsel2010 Funniest Member2010 Best Writer
Introduction: The story is not finished, so it cuts off, but it is worth reading then. Well, I think it is.

R.M.A.S. Angel

Day One - 7:45 PM

I sat on the edge of the airship, the ground below us under the clouds, which were thick and covering. But despite the storm that raged below, the sun was orange and bright. A sight worthy of a Pulitzer prize. The light was beaming and glistening, the clouds below dark and menacing, a evil reflection on the sun above. I stared out through the distance,  thinking about everything. Was this going to work? The storm below us was ravaging the world, destroying everything that lay under it. It was all I could do to pack up my things and get on this airship with at least 500 other people to the Air Colonies the military had built. They were to stand thousands of years, with farms and harvesting of food, ready for survival and more.
Then I heard the beep. It was a loud, air filling beep.
“This is the Capitan speaking. Please get into your seats and fasten your seatbelts, we are approaching some turbulence.” The speaker said after the beep. I scrambled through hallways, and into my seat, with the other passengers.
There was a split. The loudest sound I have ever witnessed. It was ear shattering, the sound of steel beams being ripped down the center.
“Brace yourselves!” The Capitan screamed, before I could see the air above my head, and I was falling.
We were all falling.
Into the storm.

I awoke, some good time later, seeing darkness. The storm I had rushed to outrun into the skies above it, was back, and it was laughing at me. I was laying in debris, and when I mustered the strength to sit up, dust and metal parts falling off me lazily. I stood, looking around, the crackle of the never ending thunder filling my head. The lightning burst in seconds, always a thunderbolt tearing apart our Earth. It took me a second to realized what happened.
I was on the ground, no longer in the R.M.A.S. Angel, but back in the storm, away from Alexandra, who was already on the air colonies.
   The storm darkened our planet, no sun fueling our energies. It was always snowing, slowly but surely. The storm crackled, tearing apart the ice that lay on the streets, packed together.  The planet was cold, and empty. It was deafening quiet, the only sound was the thunder and the sound of debris and trash floating by in the heavy winds. I walked through the streets, the living area of our city only a shadow of what it formerly was.
   As I wandered the streets aimlessly, no fear of being robbed or mugged, no human life visible on the world. The streets were as dead as a city gets. My heart was heavy, knowing that Alexandra was gone, living in a world I couldn’t reach. The angels above danced around the airborne city, but the earth was devoid of all beings whatsoever. I could feel a tear racing down my cold cheek, leaving a warm trail down the cold of my face. This world was empty, a faceless and cold mirror.
I felt as though I should just lay on the ground and wait for lightning to blast me to bits.

“Survivors.” I said aloud, remembering that somewhere here, the R.M.A.S. Angel was crashed somewhere nearby. I wandered out of the city, cold and defeated. I am the broken, the beaten and the fools of the people left on earth. Earth. A desolate wasteland that used to be chock full of people who enjoyed their lives, taking advantage and being ignorant of the upcoming doom upon them. Some said it was the Lord, destroying the Earth, some said it was a perfect scientific reason. But there wasn’t enough time to figure it out, but there was enough time to build a planet in the sky. Somewhere where everyone could fit on, survive on a mechanical earth, a mirror of what they rested on.
   I walked out of the buildings. The city soon stopped, and there was land stretching out as far as I could see. I walked for days, until I saw it. It was the top of the ship. Like the nose of the Titanic, sticking out of the water. It was dark, but I could see that the middle of it was ripped downward, split in half. Then, lightning struck the very tip, illuminating the prophecy of doom. Was the ship doomed when it reached the skies? Did all the other ships crash, the R.M.A.S. Damien, the S.A.S. Rocket, the R.M.A.S. Stronghold? Was the inhabitants of the ships broken of their promise?
   The airship was set in stone, perfectly empty. The rest of the ship was scattered along the country side, bits and pieces lay abound and plentiful. But there were no bodies. Not a single soul, living or dead anywhere in the wreckage. I returned to the city, but there was no one left behind, no empty shell of a soul anywhere. I was alone.

Alone in a city of evil.

Day Two - Sometime during the morning.

Molokai City, United Nations of the World

I stood up, blinking at the darkness around me. The floor I was on was damp and dank, my back soaked. I stood up, my eyes adjusting to the darkness. I could see the walls around me, the door on my left. I wandered over there slowly, moving my damp hair out of my eyes. I opened the door, to see the outside. Van Street. The sky was still crackling with light and thunder, streaking along the sky like cars zooming past me. I walked blindly through the street, instead of obeying  the traffic laws, but there were no cars to endanger my life. I looked up at the sky for a bit, the lightning was not as strong as it was before. The lightning reacted to all the electronics and radio frequencies bouncing on and off the earth. It struck with such superceded force, slamming the concrete and creating a long, winding crater that continued as the lightning would cross the Earth within seconds. The lightning struck the hardest and the United Nations instantly reacted to fly everyone to the Air Colonies.
I wondered if the airships would be safe enough to fly to a gigantic metal hulk in the sky. Too late now, isn’t it?
   I walked along the street, many places looted and destroyed in the chaos amongst the world. The United Nations. The worlds answer to the worlds problems. Was it too much? The floating building by use of radio strengths, lifting the UNW building high in the air as a seraph to all the world. They had seen the lightning coming, but did not expect it to slam the earth in such a magnitude.
An angel above angels, the building was the first to go.

United Nations of the World.

Was it an sign of impending doom?

Because, up on the Molokai Mountain, there rested the UNW building, having crashed into the side of it, lodged like a knife. It looked like a symbol of destruction, half of the building powered, running as its own and the other half demolished. I started walking tworeds it, without even noticing that I was. I eventually reached the summit of the mountain. On the way, I had grabbed some food and a can opener, a lighter, a spare lighter and a spare set of clothes. I started up the path, taking in a deep breath of the thick, hearty air. The whole mountain had an easy, worn path. the mountain was not high enough to snow, but the top did get at least 20* Fahrenheit in the winter.
   I felt my legs raising and falling, getting steeper and steeper, the air thinning. I took another deep breath, as if the air could not fill my lungs all the way. I hiked forward, traversing the mountain. The skies rattled with bright flashes every now and then. Clearly, many trees on the mountain had been hit, reducing to nothing but smoldering ashes. And I reached it. the side of the building, round and tranquil. The glass surrounding it was unbreakable, but the mountain said otherwise. A tank had fired into it once, but to no avail. I walked carefully along the edge, looking up at the sky as I reached the buildings height. The thunder seemed kind of... calming. Before I realized I was crying, I slipped and fell through a hole in the glass, and hit my head.

Day Three - An unknown time.

United Nations of the World Building, Level 5.

By the time I awoke, I was sure I was dead. I looked around the lit room. An office. I was against the wall, because the whole building tilted inward. The desk was still in the middle, nothing on it. It was bolted to the floor for some odd reason. But, I saw, 3 of the 4 bolts were broken, forcefully. The last one had been damaged beyond repair, and was about to break. Since it was right above me, I scrambled up, noticing the blood on the wall that was where I rested.

The desk waited for a bit, before giving away and slamming the wall, cracking and breaking it. I jumped over the wall and through the door, only to fall about 4 rooms before I caught a door edge. My hand hurt, as the door was serrated from being broken metal. Blood ran down my hand as I looked down. About 3 rooms before me was the edge of the mountain, the wall no more. I just let go and grabbed the last door to break my fall and let go. I hit the edge of the rock softer than I would have at least 8 rooms above me if I would not have caught the door. My hand was ripped up, and the wound on my head healed already. I must have been out a very long time. I grabbed the carpet, pulling myself up with unfound strength. I climbed, the thick carpet my savior.
   The building was very steep on its way, and it took a lot of energy out of me to climb up what would have taken me 1 second to walk across. I climbed, hours and hours of work. I reached a cubicle and climbed into it. I stood up, on the wall of the sturdy square. I reached above and grabbed the one above me and climbed on top of it. It gave a loud, wretched squeal, as if it was going to die. It gave way, and I grabbed the one above me and hung on, as it took the one underneath it in its force. The one above me, which I was hanging on, started to squeal in the same fashion. I took the instinct and climbed across the jungle like a monkey. I started climbing up, some of them holding, some of them breaking. I eventually reached the top, and I saw a room with a light on. I took the courage and ran across the wall and jumped into the room. I pulled myself off the floor, only to have something broad and flat strike me in the back of the neck., and I passed out.

1 Day Before the Great Destruction

“All citizens are required to take only the necessary items and report orderly to the Royal Maiden Airship Port. You will be assigned an airship and they will take off as soon as they have everyone or a maximum capacity.” I sprinted through the room, having all my precious items packed and everything I would need to survive. Alexandra was doing the same, running around the house, getting everything she could that she would need. I threw my suitcase in the back of the truck and leapt in as she did the same. We drove off in silence, the radio dead and silent on every station. We hit a few bumps, but other than that, it was smooth sailing until we got to the port.
   There were people in a crowd running around, panic and chaos amongst them. Lightning above us in the dark gray sky blotted out the sun, only streaks of light whiting our way forward. The lightning smashed against the earth all over it. They said the lightning would stop in a week, but it would destroy everything on earth. And the cloud would stay forever, destroying anything that was to go into it. So they had to leave to the endless air colonies, always creating more and more, destroying the old, rusted areas and move everyone into the newer areas.
   We got out of the truck, pushing through people, the frantic, crazy people who didn’t have a pass, trying to get on the airship. We reached the front, showing our passes. We started walking tworeds the R.M.A.S. Angel, but a man in a military suit grabbed Alexandra on the arm, pulling her away.
   “We’ve got maximum capacity on the Angel, you still get on it but she has to go on the R.M.A.S. Stronghold!” He shouted over the howling wind and screaming lightning, pulling her away. I shouted, but a stronger one grabbed me on the shoulder and pulled me back, throwing me into the ships door just as it was closing.
   I got up off my back, and took a cabin room.

The Great Destruction  Day

I woke up, and got out of my cabin, a bit earlier than everyone else. I wandered around aimlessly until I reached the pilots cabin.
   “We are flying too low! We could be hit by lightning at ANY second!” A voice said, young and loud.
   “We had to fix a seal in the R.N.A. Tanks, so that’s why we have to wait until we get to the colonies to get higher, or else we might crash!” Another voice said, louder and more commanding. I walked away, trying not to be caught. I reached the cabin and sat on a balcony extending to the outside.

Then I heard the beep. It was a loud, air filling beep.

Day Four - United Nations of the World Building. Capital Room.

I awoke, my eyelids heavy and drowsy. I nearly passed out again, if it wasn’t for the blinding light in my face. I flailed my arm forward, knocking it around. I was laying on a cold, blue steel table. I sat up, looking around. There were tons of chairs, one for every country in the world. And it was raining. There was a gaping hole in the roof, and I was soaked. My clothes hung to me tightly, as I looked around. The chairs were empty and scattered, and the podium was no longer lit. I started walking up the stairs, dripping and soaking wet, my feet sagging to the floor heavily. I walked up to the top floor and sat on the edge, my front half in rain, and my back in dry land. I couldn’t tell if I was crying or not, because there was so much water pouring in from the ceiling. I eventually just laid on the floor, wondering how I got to the table.

It was about an hour before the door behind me opened, and a man with jet black hair and neon green goggles covering his eyes walked into the room casually. Donned in a white lab coat, he watched me lay on the floor, without moving. I stared back at him before he walked out the way he came and I scrambled to my feet. I bolted down the hallway, the man not to be seen. I ran, soaking wet, sliding to a halt at the edge of the hall. The man opened a door on the edge of the hall and walked in and shut it behind him. I dropped to my knees, wondering, what the hell happened...

The carpet below me was soaked with water as I lay there, wallowing in my own sorrows.

Day Five - United Nations of the World, Capital to Roaming Area Room.

Apparently,  I had passed out in the center of the hallway, as when I woke up, I was no longer soaking wet. There wasn’t the sound of rain battering against the roof of the United Nations room. I knew it was still dark as night outside, but without the clouds, it was day. I could tell. Arising from my laying position, I stood and gathered myself. I walked to the door in which the man had walked through. I pulled on the door, but it was locked. The doors were supposed to be able to withstand a rocket blast, but I had not realized this and kicked the handle with great force. It only shook, but there was no visible damage.

I walked down the hall, opening another door. It was a lobby sort of room, with many chairs and a window desk on the wall. I walked over it to see it empty, but clearly ransacked, as if the thief was looking for one thing in general, because there was money, even a ring laying on the ground. I walked around the corner to see the door hanging off its hinges, nearly falling off. I looked out a window that was behind me, very massive and awe-striking. The building had crashed into the mountain, and split in half. One half was tilted sideways, the side that had hit the rock, and the other one was hanging in near-perfect balance. I’m guessing I am on the right side then, as I was no longer climbing though office cubicles. It reminded me of being hit on the back of the neck, probably with the stock of a rifle.

I continued my search through the ransacked building, deep in thought. The doors led on into rooms, endless and consuming. I found no sign of human life, until I reached the kitchen. The kitchen was close to the split of the building, and was slightly tilted. Most of the hanging objects and things on shelves had flown off, askew all over the ground. But what was most interesting was the blood that was dragged from the table to the back door, and it was fresh. I investigated by walking to the door, the slant making me tired. I walked out the door and there was a balcony, examining the stretched out sky, the lightning cracking upon the sky.
   I stared out the balcony, absorbed and wrapped in the sky, magnificent and terrifying at the same time. After a while, there was a quick flash, and a yellow rod of light jettisoned to the Earth, small and weak, but increasing in power and size quickly. The light soon was a massive beam of the sun, and a part of the clouds was moved. I watched it for a minute, a flare of hope starting in my soul.

Escape.

How? How would I accomplish this task? I paced the kitchen, which was hard to do because of the tilt. I eventually walked out, at a fast pace. Excitement and hope rushed through my body like caffeine, as I thought of how to escape. I eventually turned a corner to the main room, and ran smack into someone else, knocking both of us to the ground. I opened my eyes to see a male with messy, wild hair and a makeshift armor. He quickly gathered to his feet and scattered like a roach to light. I quickly got up and ran after him, as he ran through countless doors and hallways. I was seemingly more athletic than this man and I caught up with him very quickly.
“Who are you?!” I shouted, pinning him to the ground by his arms.

“Who are YOU?” He asked, smirking devilishly.

“I asked you first!” I shouted, “Why are there no other people ANYWHERE? Why?!” I shouted, clearly deprived of human contact for quite a while. I must look ragged as he, having no personal hygiene for days.

“I, I am Roland Gray. I one was just a normal person, before I came here to hide out with 5 other people. I WAS going to tell them there was a crack in the sky, but YOU had to stop me!” He said, finishing the sentence with a flare of anger. “And who are YOU?” He said, raising an eyebrow.

“I... I am...” I stood up, letting him go. “I am Scott Solon.” I said, taking in a deep breath. I had almost forgotten my name. “You still didn’t tell me where there are no other people here, and why there are no bodies anywhere?” I asked, turning back to him.

“Well.” Roland said, frowning. “There are no people here because they got everyone they could on the Airships. I was on the R.M.A.S. Angel, as were the 5 other people. And the bodies, I do not know. I couldn’t figure it out.”

I thought for a minute. “Apparently, we have to work together to escape. The only possible reason would be to build an airship out of the R.M.A.S. Angel remains and get to the Colonies ourselves.” He said, walking around the room. He eventually walked tworeds the door he was about to run into before I stopped him.

“This is the room where we stay.” He said, motioning with his hand into the room, and I instinctively  followed. The room was large, probably a meeting room. The lights worked perfectly, none of them flickered. There were a few generators around the room, but only one of them was on. I continued in, and saw a table on the ground, and a few chairs there. 5 people sat in the chairs, with one empty. They all turned to look at me.

There were two females, both identical twins. They had blond hair and were both a very pale white. There was a very strong black male sitting at the head of the table. There was also a very scrawny looking guy with red hair and goggles on his forehead. And last but not least there was a white male with black hair in a torn up business suit. Most importantly, there was a rifle strapped to his chest, hanging off his back.

“Who is this?” The black man said, putting his large hands on the table.

“This is Scott Solon. I ran into him as I was coming to report the skies to you all.” Roland said, nodding.

“I’m guessing he was on the Angel?” The scrawny red head spoke in a high pitched, Tenor One voice.

“Yes he was Mac.” Roland replied, taking a breath and saying “... There’s a crack in the sky, about a hundred miles away.” He said, and looked up as everyone stood up and shouted. “Yes, yes I know. The last attempt failed. Miserably. But this time, we just need to recalibrate the engines and savage some extra parts from the Angel Graveyard.” He said, knowing what he was talking about.

I just stood there silent, as they talked.

“Let’s get on it then.” The black man said, as I could hear one of the twins saying “Yes Zach.” Zach walked into the door behind them, as Mac, Roland, the females and the business man followed. Before he went inside, the business man turned around and gave me a look. I thought for a minute and realized, this was the guy who was watching me in the Main Room...

Day Six - Personal Quarters 8:45 A.M.

I soon got acquainted with everyone there, except the business man. They gave me some food and a room to sleep in. The twins names were Maria and Jackie. The way I could tell them apart was that Maria had green eyes while Jackie’s were blue. I soon caught up with Roland, and asked about the business man.

“That’s Clay.” Roland said, looking at the ground briefly. “He was the one who hit you on the back of the neck. He’s a quiet one and he’s only determined to leave the planet. We luckily found him at the Angel Graveyard (Which I figured out is the name they gave for the Angel crash site.) before he died. Ever since, he’s been the one who searched the UNW building for intruders.” Roland said, finishing his biography of the individual.

I nodded in understanding, walking off. I learned from Zach they already attempted to leave through a crack in the sky, but the engines failed half way up. Since then, they repaired it and fixed many, many small problems. Mac, Maria, Jackie and Clay were out getting parts for it, which, luckily, was about 2 miles off from the crack. I took in a deep breath as adrenaline rushed through me.

Freedom.

Once and for all.

When Mac, Maria, Jackie and Clay came back, they said they had repaired the airship, and it was ready to fly. Apparently a window for a crack in the sky was about 2 days. Tonight was the night to go.

Day Six - Outside the UNW Building 7:13 P.M.

The air was brisk and refreshing, although the smell of static electricity crackling though the high altitude was ruining it. The skies were darker than usual, the lightning whipping through the skies, lightning the area for a split second every now and then. We had packed all we had and started the walk down the mountain. I followed behind everyone through the forested area. I was no longer paying attention where I was going and walked right into Clay‘s back.

He instantly responded by pushing me back. He had the rifle slung over his back, the only person with a formidable weapon. I felt the tension grew as I pushed him back into a tree, Clay falling forward. He instantly stood up and pulled out the rifle before they stopped him. Everyone pulled him back, without saying a word. The tension for escape was causing friction, I could tell. He gave of an angry sigh and turned around and continued. I also sighed and continued.

We eventually reached the bottom, the forest clearing out considerably. We walked through the desolate city, the horrors of the post-apocalypse still lingering above us. The outsides of town waited a small, 10 person ship that was carried by one of the side propellers of the Angel.

It was a symbol of hope, that ignited in all of us.

We climbed aboard the ragged and cramped ship, its dwarfed size had me doubting it could fly. There was no fluorescent light, but only the red, dim glow of the alarm-based lights, always spinning and defying gravity. I quickly regained my thoughts and went into the cockpit. Everyone was there except Mac, who clearly had to be checking on the engine 24/7.
“So?” I asked, as they were all messing with wires and typing into the computer. They did not look at me, and continued to work. I then noticed Clay was nowhere to be found. I left through another door and crawled and stumbled through the mess of wires, until all of the lights went out. I looked around, to see everything around me crackle with static electricity, in shockwaves. The small but noticeable light was awe striking, as we lifted off the ground and the lights flicked back on, and I continued my search.

3 hours was the time we would go through the crack and it would take 5 hours to reach the Air Colonies, IF they were still standing. I couldn’t describe how I felt really, the emotion flowing through me. Escape, Alexandra, but the chance for success was small. I continued to search for Clay, eventually ending at the Engine Room, having searched every nook and cranny.

He was standing there, a massive hole in the ceiling. He examined the hole, realizing it was the gigantic cord holding the engine, which was the half-propeller, half gas-fueled engine. It was the only one, and it was very strong. It was also detachable with the turn of a key and the pull of a lever. I started to approach him but he shooed me off with the wave of his hand up and down. I turned and left, losing interest.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2015, 10:18:04 AM by boe »
you awoke in a burning paperhouse
from the infinite fields of dreamless sleep

Absolutely the one chosen by fadark
Rep:
Level 94
GAAAAAAAAY
The loudest creak I have ever witnessed.
This was as far as I read, as you can't witness a creak.

Rep:
Level 98
2010 Best Veteran2014 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2014 Most Mature Member2014 Best Writer2014 Best Counsel2014 Favorite Staff Member2014 King of RMRK2013 Favorite Staff MemberSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.Secret Santa 2012 Participant2011 Best Writer2011 Best Counsel2010 Funniest Member2010 Best Writer
So you stopped reading it because of a typo?
you awoke in a burning paperhouse
from the infinite fields of dreamless sleep

Absolutely the one chosen by fadark
Rep:
Level 94
GAAAAAAAAY
Yes.  Also, it's more a grammatical thing, than a typo  :=: