RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Debate on bad debating.

Absolutely the one chosen by fadark
Rep:
Level 94
GAAAAAAAAY
Shouldn't people like Elegy, and others I won't mention (primarily because I think it will be seen as me just harping at people with different viewpoints than myself),  have some punishment for turned a thread into a slew of unintelligent insults and pathetic, half assed comments, with no point?  I see many a locked topic that I would like to post in, but it was locked because some moron felt the need to start yelling, or lose all coherency.  On a side note, would this be considered bad debating?  and if it is, wouldn't that be a little bit of a paradox?  Well, what do you think?  Should there be retribution for those who turn a topic into "childish insults"?

You zetta sons of digits.
Rep:
Level 91
SMEEEEE HEEEEEE
yeah i agree i mean the should guns be banned thread only got locked as of childish fighting, im not sure of others but ive seen the arguments small and petty insults are ok but a hole post devoted to insulting another should be deleted. 

HELLS YEAH
Rep:
Level 88
Most of the debates on this forum turn into arguments rather quickly.
Quote from: Elegy
It's fucking sad that you and the cat can't stick to the subject and even attempt to defend your little bullshit religion without jumping to personal attacks, maybe thats because evolution is such a stupid idea it's hard to back it up with any claims pertaining to reality.

Rep:
Level 102
2014 Biggest Narcissist Award2014 Biggest Forum Potato2014 Best Non-RM Creator2013 Best IRC Chatterbox2013 Best Game Creator (Non-RM)Participant - GIAW 112012 Best Use Of Avatar and Signature space2012 Funniest Member2012 Most Successful Troll2012 Best IRC ChatterboxSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for November 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2010 Best IRC Chatterbox2010 Biggest Forum Couch Potato2010 Most Successful Troll
I think the people who can't handle a debate without taking it personally shouldn't be allowed to post in intelligent debate.

Communism<3
Rep:
Level 91
I think the people who can't handle a debate without taking it personally shouldn't be allowed to post in intelligent debate.
Oh my, I agree. Congrats

I really am at a hard place on deciding what to do with people like Elegy, I feel because he actually did say he was just here to cause trouble, I think perhaps people like him should be given a "time out" from the ID section if possible. They really do seem to be fucking up ID.

Rep:
Level 88
Well I know Halo will feel the urge to mention me  ::)

I really don't contribute much to ID anymore, not as much as I used to. Mainly because of various people (some who have a rather large influence on the forum) that have said things about me that weren't true and people have simply believed without question. No point participating in something if no one listens. And I think that's how many people feel when up against DS and Gon. Although excellent debaters they do like to come across in a rather 'condescending' tone. Elergy is just... given another chance by me. He does debate well (sometimes), yet his purpose for debating isn't right.

Agree with Iron.

Rep:
Level 102
2014 Biggest Narcissist Award2014 Biggest Forum Potato2014 Best Non-RM Creator2013 Best IRC Chatterbox2013 Best Game Creator (Non-RM)Participant - GIAW 112012 Best Use Of Avatar and Signature space2012 Funniest Member2012 Most Successful Troll2012 Best IRC ChatterboxSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for November 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2010 Best IRC Chatterbox2010 Biggest Forum Couch Potato2010 Most Successful Troll
Oh my, I agree. Congrats

I really am at a hard place on deciding what to do with people like Elegy, I feel because he actually did say he was just here to cause trouble, I think perhaps people like him should be given a "time out" from the ID section if possible. They really do seem to be fucking up ID.

Also agreed. If he said that he was here to start trouble I feel he should be banned from ID for a while as a warning. Intelligent debates purpose isn't to start a flame war. It's to express your opinions and defend against them and shouldn't be taken as an insult. He should learn how to control himself and not debate just to start trouble. You don't necessarily need to dislike someone to have a debate with them.   

Rep:
Level 94
GAAAAAAAAY
Yeah, and I think it should be more of a "anyone who flames gets a ban from ID" instead of something like, "whoever started it gets a ban from ID".  If someone flames you, dont flame them back (in ID).

Mne eto nado kak zuby v zadnitse.
Rep:
Level 89
U H N
2012 Most Attractive Female Member^_________________^f*ck u >:(LO !!
This topic is stupid.
an6uof hw to aLeme ozle we I

Rep:
Level 94
GAAAAAAAAY
Paradoxically stupid, or just normally stupid?  ;8

Rep:
Level 94
2012 Most Attractive Male MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for June 20092010 Best Counsel
I still think the best action is an age limit on ID. There are too many religious 12 year olds who get mad when they realize not everyone believes the same as them. I personally think all religious ideals should be unallowed in a debate, because faith takes precedence over evidence in religion, but that will never happen. I have been guilty of flaming people, but I like to think that it has only ever been in response to others who have come before me. Maybe if the moderator would keep a close eye on the threads, and delete every post that has a hint of personal attack in it, then things would remain civil. This, too, seems like a pipe dream, because then the moderator's opinion would come into play. I guess the solution would be suck it up, don't take life so seriously, and if you care strongly enough about a topic to want to share your opinion, write to your state representative. This is, after all, a role-playing game forum.

Rep:
Level 88
There are too many religious 12 year olds who get mad when they realize not everyone believes the same as them.

I thought DS was 19. :/

This is, after all, a role-playing game forum.

Win.

Rep:
Level 94
GAAAAAAAAY
Isn't DS arguing against religion  ::)

Rep:
Level 97
Definitely better than Hitler.
2014 Best Musician2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2013 Best Musician2013 Funniest Member2013 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2013 King of RMRKFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Musician2012 Best UsernameFor frequent good quality Wiki writing [citation needed]2011 Funniest Member2011 Best MusicianMost entertaining member on the IRC2010 Most Missed Member
Yeah, but the only way to know that would be to read her posts.

The solution to this is simple enough: If you can't handle people disagreeing with you, or holding a different opinion than yours about something, then stay the hell out.
:tinysmile:

HELLS YEAH
Rep:
Level 88
It annoys me when mods post in locked threads to get their final word in and don't actually unlock them so that their point can be refuted. I'd say that's bad debating.
It's fucking sad that you and the cat can't stick to the subject and even attempt to defend your little bullshit religion without jumping to personal attacks, maybe thats because evolution is such a stupid idea it's hard to back it up with any claims pertaining to reality.

( ´ิ(ꈊ) ´ิ) ((≡^⚲͜^≡)) (ી(΄◞ิ౪◟ิ‵)ʃ)
Rep:
Level 102
(っ˘ڡ˘ς) ʕ•̼͛͡•ʕ-̺͛͡•ʔ•̮͛͡•ʔ (*ꆤ.̫ꆤ*)
2014 Avast Ye Merry Pirate!2013 Avast Ye Merry Pirate Award2012 Avast Ye Merry Pirate AwardFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2011 Most Unsung Member2011 Avast Ye Merry Pirate2010 Avast Ye Merry Pirate Award
bringing sexy back

HELLS YEAH
Rep:
Level 88
Wait, I was banned?

Also my username is beautiful.

Resource Maker
Rep:
Level 91
My Write up is wicked:- http://wiki.rmrk.net/index.php/Landofshadows

Bang on perfect !!!  ;D

gonorrhoea Yours is also pretty Bang on !!

Any way back on Topic

Every on is due their opinion, and I think we have already covered in ID that there is no right or wrong, so if some one's opinion differs from your own, it does not mean they are wrong... Every one's opinion's should be looked at in interest rather than pulling it apart tryi picking out the truth's and helping the previous poster with that, For example:-

I still think the best action is an age limit on ID. There are too many religious 12 year olds who get mad when they realize not everyone believes the same as them. I personally think all religious ideals should be unallowed in a debate, because faith takes precedence over evidence in religion, but that will never happen. I have been guilty of flaming people, but I like to think that it has only ever been in response to others who have come before me. Maybe if the moderator would keep a close eye on the threads, and delete every post that has a hint of personal attack in it, then things would remain civil. This, too, seems like a pipe dream, because then the moderator's opinion would come into play. I guess the solution would be suck it up, don't take life so seriously, and if you care strongly enough about a topic to want to share your opinion, write to your state representative. This is, after all, a role-playing game forum.

You raise some very valid points, the age thing could be adopted but I know many a young mind that could be put in the same line as my own, I am much older than most on here yet I don't think I am the most intelligent... I don't think Age restrictions should be added, may be members should be selected a little like the RMRK Extra section... If you have flamed some one for having a different opinion than your own and you know you have done so without them previously flaming you then may be you should step back from ID or not reply at all or PM the member and try and find out why their opinion differs so much, they may have offended you without noticing they have done so... I tottally agree with you when you say things should not be taken so seriously, I know ID is a more serious part of the forums but we should keep in mind that RMRK is a forum for games making 1st and foremost and ID comes a great 2nd place if that... And upsetting members that are here helping with games making could cause some reasources, Scripter and games making to look else where due to online bullying...

I think the Mods do a good enough job as it is, the name and shame area holds many funny reads and post that are so outlandish they make mine look sane...LOL, The locking I think is fair, but the unlocking and final word posting I agree with Gono is a little unfair... Or locking without justification, like the Jesus Man or Myth thread...

Off topic for a mo
(I find people's faith's interesting but Christianity is the most waving of all, changing and adapting, take parts of other faith's... I like picking at Christianity not the Christian's them selves... I am all for people having a faith... I don't have a biblicle one yet... My Faith is in my own self, and the Human race as a whole)

Back on Topic (End Note)

No debate as long as people opinion's are their own and true to them should be considered as a Bad debate... In my Opinion... We are all learning... You may help alter or add to some ones opinion's, changing them happens rarely so if it happens it's a bonus...

I mean I argueed once that the core of the Earth was not Iron due to the fact the heat would be so high the centre has to be a liquid or a Gas, it could be made of Iron elements... I know my opinion goes against most science and common sense... but I wont 100% say for sure the centre is a Solid Iron lump until we reach the centre... Doesn't make the debate stupid or ill founded, it's an opinion, and should not be deemed wrong or right, its a nothing but an idea, but then people laughed when they first got told the Earth was round...  People saying the centre is solid are only working on evidence given and approximating a fabricated truth.. Like a Jury... Some time we have more evidence... Bring it to ID and debate !!!... Have fun !!!

My Opinion

I think calling itelligent Debate intelligent debate, makes the user try and prove they are intelligent, and intelligence is usally measurred by proving some one else is less intelligent... And there in lies the problem.  If the area was renamed to World Debate, Global Debate or just Debate... it may help a little.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2007, 02:48:55 PM by landofshadows »

My RMRK Wikki:- http://wiki.rmrk.net/index.php/Landofshadows
Make a Donation for my Resource making:- https://www.paypal.me/landofshadows

Rep:
Level 94
2012 Most Attractive Male MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for June 20092010 Best Counsel
God Damn it, too long.

Rep:
Level 94
GAAAAAAAAY
Yeah, I didn't read that either.  Sum it up in a sentance, please?

Rep:
Level 88
I AM THAT IS.
People are very mean. >:( No one really listens to one another and they just say something and say everything is wrong. But those who state a point and try to explain and reinforce are very good people (like me). Also, I think people are abusing the rep point system. I don't understand why I am negative...I do state my point and explain...please...I just want a positive rep...please... ;9

Rep:
Level 97
Definitely better than Hitler.
2014 Best Musician2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2013 Best Musician2013 Funniest Member2013 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2013 King of RMRKFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Musician2012 Best UsernameFor frequent good quality Wiki writing [citation needed]2011 Funniest Member2011 Best MusicianMost entertaining member on the IRC2010 Most Missed Member
-rep for being a baby.
:tinysmile:

Communism<3
Rep:
Level 91
Ditto. That was some post...

Also, +rep to the player haters.

Rep:
Level 94
GAAAAAAAAY
Kickass, I'm a playa hater.  But is anything going to be done, or is this going to just be mindless prattle, until it falls to the bottom of the boards and is forgotten?