RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
I want people to take a look at this demo and tell me how I can improve it.

Rep: +0/-0Level 87
Hey, I just finished a major code section of my game, the user-customizable AI for one of the characters. 

Anyway, what I need from you guys, is recommendations on how to make it better, Its very unpolished at this stage, but I'm sure it can be made better. Anything from how to improve the UI, to new lines that I could include.

Normally in the game, you would have three other party members, however I took them out for the demo. No need to concern yourselves with the ordinary.

Now, onto how the actual system works.

It works somewhat similarly to the original Basic programing language. There are three things on each line. 1.) The line number, 2.) The contents of the line, and 3.) and the redirect number

Anyway, if an action line is executed, (marked with a Red A icon), grathe performs that action, provided he has enough MP (if he doesn't, he crashes, and has to spend a turn rebooting). it will pickup from the next line next turn.

If a redirect line is executed, (marked with a blue I icon), it scans whether the statement is true or not, and if it is true, it goes to the line in the redirect number. If it is false, it continues on with the next line.

Now, Its not so simple that you can just type in whatever you want, nope. You have to Earn lines or buy or find or whatever to use them. Once you insert a line, the old line is deleted, and unrecoverable.

I hope that makes sense. Anyway, the console isn't viewable from the menu, its would only be available at a computer terminal, Just talk to the guy in the purple hat, he acts as a computer terminal, since I haven't drawn one yet.

Once at the screen, the controls are a little complex, when the green thingy is on the left, press up/down to scroll through the lines and left/right to change the number in the 3rd coulomb, press enter (C button) to switch the green thingy to the right, press X (B button) to return to menu. If the green is on the right, press up/down to select an unused line, left/right to select action or redirect, and Enter (C button) to inject the line, and X (B button) to return the green thingy to the left, don't worry it should all come naturally.

The guy in the lower left corner gives you enough lines to do whatever you want pretty much.

Talk to the guys on the upper side of the screen for a fight, the left one is just a punchingbag that never dies, the middle is a stupid clone of grathe that just attacks mindlessly, and the one on the right is a little smarter.

Once I finish, I'll post the code, if you really can't wait, download the demo and open it in RMXP, its not protected.

Anyway, onto the link. http://hosted.filefront.com/lordpidey/

Some suggestions I've gotten from elsewhere:

Perhaps have there be redirect statements that check a switch/variable, and have the variable be changable by having a normal character use a skill. -----I think this is a good idea,as it would allow you to switch grathe from attack a large number of weak enemies mode to attack a single strong enemy mode. This could work quite well.

Rep:
Level 102
2014 Biggest Narcissist Award2014 Biggest Forum Potato2014 Best Non-RM Creator2013 Best Game Creator (Non-RM)2013 Best IRC ChatterboxParticipant - GIAW 112012 Most Successful Troll2012 Funniest Member2012 Best Use Of Avatar and Signature space2012 Best IRC ChatterboxSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for November 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2010 Most Successful Troll2010 Biggest Forum Couch Potato2010 Best IRC Chatterbox
MMkay, that was pretty boring.
It seems like you have all the shiny stuff down, so work on the game.

Rep:
Level 88
Now do you know who I am??
*slaps irockman*
 No harassing the nubes :P

Lol, ok I'll check it out....what exactly is it?

Wow, that's pretty damn spiffy. I like, one thing, go to your System section in the database and take out your party member, at the begining use the event, add party member. I'm still looking for stuff, but scripting-wise, I think it rivals Blizzard.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2007, 07:38:47 PM by keyblade_bearer »

A blessing
Rep:
Level 91
<3 Back.
I'll happily test it as soon as I get back home. :)

EXA
Rep:
Level 92
Pikachu on a toilet
Project of the Month winner for April 2007
I'm still looking for stuff, but scripting-wise, I think it rivals Blizzard.

You haven't tried Blizz-ABS or D.R.E.A.M. yet, have you? ;)

EDIT:
Maybe you actually HAVE tried Blizz-ABS. O_o I just noticed this here:

Quote from: downloaded O_o times
Blizz-ABS v0.9.zip (1165.07 KB - downloaded 326 times.)
 blizzabs_v09.zip (17.75 KB - downloaded 287 times.)
 Blizz-ABS MMO Edition TEST.zip (1525.83 KB - downloaded 358 times.)
 Blizz-ABS MMO Test Edition Release 2.zip (1553.01 KB - downloaded 277 times.)

I'm still O_o

EDIT:
Ok, I tried it out and I like it a lot. If I remember right, Trickster wanted to make an "Ally AI" script. You beated him in that. xD When you can make it more userfriendly you should post it. I'll put it in Scripts Database then. =)
« Last Edit: March 14, 2007, 09:53:02 PM by Blizzard »
Get King of Booze for Android, for iOS, for OUYA or for Windows!
Visit our website.
You can also love/hate us on Facebook or the game itself.

Get DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is!

Yeah, as of right now, the script is very dirty, and I used some cheap workarounds to get it to work.  Each unused line is actually an item, and the game searches for them by the item's number, thus the items will need to be numbered the same.  It also won't play nice with custom battle systems.  And if you thought that was bad, it uses several in-game variables.  I'm sure I'll be able to clean it up though.

But I need ideas for what lines to put in.

Rep:
Level 88
Now do you know who I am??
C'mon Blizz, not even a bit? :P

Well, good luck with that. I'm gunna go download Blizz' ABS :P

EXA
Rep:
Level 92
Pikachu on a toilet
Every script rivals me. ^__^ That what doesn't is maybe the efficiency. xD Well, he'll improve it.

@pidey: Played FFXII? I think their "gambits" are a pretty good idea. Tried using them for more lines?
Visit our website.

Yeah, I've played FFXII, but I didn't get very far because my PS2..... *starts sobbing*

Anyway... *sniff*  But yeah, I almost forgot about FFXII's gambit system, they would make good lines, but remember, this is NOT FFXII's gambit system, it is MUCH more complex.

EXA
Rep:
Level 92
Pikachu on a toilet
Of course it is. I am only saying you could use the conditions they used to extend your script and add more lines.
Visit our website.

Rep:
Level 83
I can't download the game,it redirects to other site and I search for it but nothing.I just wanted to try the gambit system. :chocobo: :chocobo: :chocobo:!

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
Project of the Month winner for June 2009
Wow, I hate you already. Obviously you can't read dates or don't know what necroposting is. There's a reason why there's a warning when you post that says it hasn't been posted in 60 days (maybe 30). Don't DO IT. Someone lock this topic please :)

Rep:
Level 102
2014 Biggest Narcissist Award2014 Biggest Forum Potato2014 Best Non-RM Creator2013 Best Game Creator (Non-RM)2013 Best IRC ChatterboxParticipant - GIAW 112012 Most Successful Troll2012 Funniest Member2012 Best Use Of Avatar and Signature space2012 Best IRC ChatterboxSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for November 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2010 Most Successful Troll2010 Biggest Forum Couch Potato2010 Best IRC Chatterbox
The thread starter is inactive, this topic is three years old. Don't post in old threads.

Thank you.