RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
A quick question...

Rep:
Level 89
I have attention problems.
I've heard that paralell events create a lot of lag, but lag doesn't exist on my machine.

Can someone tell me, which creates more lag, 25 normal events or 5 paralell events?
"...because, you know, whatever."

Rep:
Level 89
i would probally guess the 5 parallel events
Badass, and a do'er not a thinker

Rep:
Level 91
yeah paras lag alot...
if you got a 186 (in case you have no idea what it is, you are lucky let's just say i played pacman on one and it was the best game eva)

so far even though i always use massive amounts of parallels, long ones too, i never spotted any lags
holy shit my sig was big!

Resident Cloud
Rep:
Level 91
dpends on the pc maybe???

Rep:
Level 89
Could some1 please give a quick explanation of what the use is of a paralell event?
I never use them ;/
Started RPG making once again!

Rep:
Level 91
omg..  :roll:

ever seen any of my tutorials?
90% of them use them
in short:

parallel proccesses are events that run in the background not disturbing the game itself
i used them for variable changes of all sorts

say you need a variable to get +1 every 1 frame you have to do:
wait 1 frame
variable +1

then you get 2 problems:
a. you need it to keep going

to solve this you need either a parallel, which always work or otherwise a loop which only ends when you tell it to

b. wait stops the gameplay and you really can't work like that

a parallel does not disturb the gameplay unlike any other event type, thus the wait will work on the parallel and not on anything else.
the variable will keep growing and the game will not be stopped

this is also really good for "skills"

you can make a parallel that looks like:

if button X is pushed then

the conditional branch will be checked over and over again, as a result whenever you dare to push the button you will get the message or anything else you put in there.
holy shit my sig was big!

Rep:
Level 89
I have attention problems.
so, I'm better off with the 25 regular events?
Well that's good, less work for me, since it's already done
"...because, you know, whatever."

Resident Cloud
Rep:
Level 91
for example if you had a lightning field or somthing

then you may have events all over the map with random features or timers that are set to be paralel evnts so that the lightening happens all the time

Rep:
Level 89
Quote from: blueXx
omg..  :roll:

ever seen any of my tutorials?
90% of them use them
in short:

parallel proccesses are events that run in the background not disturbing the game itself
i used them for variable changes of all sorts

say you need a variable to get +1 every 1 frame you have to do:
wait 1 frame
variable +1

then you get 2 problems:
a. you need it to keep going

to solve this you need either a parallel, which always work or otherwise a loop which only ends when you tell it to

b. wait stops the gameplay and you really can't work like that

a parallel does not disturb the gameplay unlike any other event type, thus the wait will work on the parallel and not on anything else.
the variable will keep growing and the game will not be stopped

this is also really good for "skills"

you can make a parallel that looks like:

if button X is pushed then

the conditional branch will be checked over and over again, as a result whenever you dare to push the button you will get the message or anything else you put in there.

Thanks for the quick explanation, I'll use them  8)
Started RPG making once again!