RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Boldness of the Apostles

Full Metal Mod - He will pillage your women!
Rep:
Level 93
The RGSS Dude
We were disscusing in Bible and while we talked about the 'both and system' and the 'either or system' of thinking (different topic; I'm liable to have used the wrong terminoligy) the apostles were brought up.

When Christ was crusified(sp?; boy, lotsa mistakes today) the apostles ran away, scared to death. After all, when trying to bring down a group, you destroy the leader first, then take out the remaining faithful.

Three days later they returned to the streets, preaching the Gospel with a new-found boldness.

Was it Christ's resurection and appearance to them, which affirmed their beliefs that gave them this boldness? Or did it come from another source?

Also, the Bible is not the only religious book to mention Jesus. Nor is Christianity the only religion to claim exclusiveness. (Also another topic, just wanted to point out. Bye bye boo. <<< WTF?!?!?)

Discuss.

EDIT : Just wanted to let you know I love pizza. That and bannana peppers. Over and out.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2007, 10:18:36 PM by Tsunokiette »
"The wonderful thing about Tiggers
Is Tiggers are wonderful things
Their tops are made out of rubber
Their bottoms are made out of springs

They’re bouncy, trouncy, flouncy, pouncy
Fun, fun, fun, fun, fun!
But the most wonderful thing about Tiggers
Is I’m the only one, I’m the only one."

Mne eto nado kak zuby v zadnitse.
Rep:
Level 89
U H N
2012 Most Attractive Female Member^_________________^f*ck u >:(LO !!
This does not belong in intelligent debate :/

It's going to turn into a OMFG RELIGION IS DUMB/OMFG NO IT ISN'T thread.

a.k.a. spam and flames
an6uof hw to aLeme ozle we I

MANMACHINE
Rep:
Level 91
God of Dicks
Clearly they were insane. Insanity requires little reason.

( ´ิ(ꈊ) ´ิ) ((≡^⚲͜^≡)) (ી(΄◞ิ౪◟ิ‵)ʃ)
Rep:
Level 102
(っ˘ڡ˘ς) ʕ•̼͛͡•ʕ-̺͛͡•ʔ•̮͛͡•ʔ (*ꆤ.̫ꆤ*)
2014 Avast Ye Merry Pirate!2013 Avast Ye Merry Pirate Award2012 Avast Ye Merry Pirate AwardFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2011 Avast Ye Merry Pirate2011 Most Unsung Member2010 Avast Ye Merry Pirate Award
Let's not have what djang predicts. If you don't beleive it, then don't post.
bringing sexy back

Adolf Christ
Rep:
Level 88
Is this the Second Coming, or the Fourth Reich?

If he only wants inut from Christians then he can turn to the thousands of Christian forums that there are online.

Communism<3
Rep:
Level 91

If he only wants inut from Christians then he can turn to the thousands of Christian forums that there are online.
Sorry Silverline, I completely agree with JesusH on this one. That doesn't mean you should all be jerks, how ever.

Even though I am very unreligious, I will try and be civil. I will try and keep my points spam free and give my opinions as I've done some small study in religion.

From what I can recall, many of Jesus' followers still did believe that he was a prophet, many how ever lost their faith in his self proclaimed resurrection, after his death that is. I believe one man was quoted " If Jesus was here right now, I would have to put my fingers through the holes in his body to believe it was him " ( Or something similar... ). So from what I recall they were split.

I say it is ONLY his apparent resurrection that gave them back their balls.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2007, 01:38:26 PM by Deliciously_Saucy »

Resource Maker
Rep:
Level 91
A few idea's why

Number 1
Back in the days of Jesus there was nothing better to do than make up stories for entertainment, even the women had no make up and looked PIG ugly...

Number 2
They felt if they didn't his death would have been in vain and his story never heard...

Number 3
The felt the word of the Son of God was more important than their own lives...

Number 4
The public had been split two was about Jesus's passing, they saw if they acted at that time they could have won over more support...

To be honest all answers to this debate would be pure speculation... Is there no writtings or refference on how they felt on the passing of Jesus, or the times they continued preaching ?

Sorry I am a little Neive to the Bible, I was once given the New testement and used it to house my Football Sticker collection...LOL
« Last Edit: January 24, 2007, 02:13:43 PM by landofshadows »

My RMRK Wikki:- http://wiki.rmrk.net/index.php/Landofshadows
Make a Donation for my Resource making:- https://www.paypal.me/landofshadows

Communism<3
Rep:
Level 91
The felt the word of the Son of God was more important than their own lives...
Actually LOS, Jesus was never said to have been the " Sone of Yahweh " by his people, they just felt he was their leader and a great man. It was the Romans who made him into a god, or the son of one.

Back in the days of Jesus there was nothing better to do than make up stories for entertainment, even the women had no make up and looked PIG ugly...
Out of topic: But yes! Women back in the day, were PIG FUCKING UGLY! If you sore Cleopatra today, you wouldn't take a second look. They said back in the old days, a man would meet ONE beautiful woman in his life, just one. Fuck I love genetics.

To be honest all answers to this debate would be pure speculation... Is there no writings or reference on how they felt on the passing of Jesus, or the times they continued preaching ?
Yes, this is pure speculation. That's why it's called debate.

They felt if they didn't his death would have been in vain and his story never heard...
Would that have really been such a bad thing? I say Christianity is to powerful.

Resource Maker
Rep:
Level 91
Deliciously_Saucy - Yeah, my bad... I no nothing about the Apostles... I shouldn't really get envolved.

And the Cleopatra thing... Yeah you stumped me on that one too...LOL

All I know of is the Apostles Creed:-

Apostles' Creed

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. I believe in God the Father, Almighty, Maker of heaven and earth:
2. And in Jesus Christ, his only begotten Son, our Lord:
3. Who was conceived by the Holy Ghost, born of the Virgin Mary:
4. Suffered under Pontius Pilate; was crucified, dead and buried: He descended into hell:
5. The third day he rose again from the dead:
6. He ascended into heaven, and sits at the right hand of God the Father Almighty:
7. From thence he shall come to judge the quick and the dead:
8. I believe in the Holy Ghost:
9. I believe in the holy catholic church: the communion of saints:
10. The forgiveness of sins:
1l. The resurrection of the body:
12. And the life everlasting. Amen.

I took it Jesus always claimed to be the Son of God, from point 2 and 6... I fogot the whole Roman Join our religion or Die part...Blah, Blah... Fricken Blah...LOL

I don't know why then the Apostles would have risked being killed in the same way Jesus was... I mean they know they sure aint gunna be rising up from the dead them selves...  Any way Tsunokiette what points did fellow bible readers think ?

When the dawn breaks...
Rep:
Level 88
...tonight will be just another memory.
I don't know why then the Apostles would have risked being killed in the same way Jesus was... I mean they know they sure aint gunna be rising up from the dead them selves...

Maybe they thought God would save them? It would of been possible for them to think this back in the day; even now many religious believers believe that their lord/god/idle will save them from death.

Communism<3
Rep:
Level 91

Maybe they thought God would save them? It would of been possible for them to think this back in the day; even now many religious believers believe that their lord/god/idle will save them from death.
* Trying... Not... TO ... MakE Sarcastic... REmaRK... *

When I considered myself Christian ( yes there was a time ) I said and felt that I would have no problem laying down my life for my god.

Resource Maker
Rep:
Level 91
When I considered myself Christian ( yes there was a time ) I said and felt that I would have no problem laying down my life for my god.

Sorry off topic, but what made some one so devout as your-self once was to drop your Faith ?

Communism<3
Rep:
Level 91

Sorry off topic, but what made some one so devout as your-self once was to drop your Faith ?
I'm glad you asked. If you want the full story, let me know and I'll post it in spam ( very LONG ), short ver' is, science taught me to ask questions.

Full Metal Mod - He will pillage your women!
Rep:
Level 93
The RGSS Dude
This isn't meant to be a Christian debate this time. I just wanted to discuss ,from a historical perspective, what made the apostles so bold. If every religion is false, there still has to be a reason for it.

Also, I was having a bit of a mentally-induced high (no drugs involved) so that's why I was a bit random in the opening post.

My theory has been stated.

Although, I'd have to say. If Jesus wasn't resurrected, no sane man would've preached His Word.Unless you know, they didn't mind being murdered for no reason.
"The wonderful thing about Tiggers
Is Tiggers are wonderful things
Their tops are made out of rubber
Their bottoms are made out of springs

They’re bouncy, trouncy, flouncy, pouncy
Fun, fun, fun, fun, fun!
But the most wonderful thing about Tiggers
Is I’m the only one, I’m the only one."

Adolf Christ
Rep:
Level 88
Is this the Second Coming, or the Fourth Reich?
I just wanted to discuss ,from a historical perspective, what made the apostles so bold.

Fanaticism.

/thread

Rep:
Level 97
Definitely better than Hitler.
2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2014 Best Musician2013 Funniest Member2013 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2013 Best Musician2013 King of RMRKFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Username2012 Best MusicianFor frequent good quality Wiki writing [citation needed]Most entertaining member on the IRC2011 Best Musician2011 Funniest Member2010 Most Missed Member
This isn't meant to be a Christian debate this time. I just wanted to discuss ,from a historical perspective, what made the apostles so bold. If every religion is false, there still has to be a reason for it.

Also, I was having a bit of a mentally-induced high (no drugs involved) so that's why I was a bit random in the opening post.

My theory has been stated.

Although, I'd have to say. If Jesus wasn't resurrected, no sane man would've preached His Word.Unless you know, they didn't mind being murdered for no reason.

It hasn't been proved historically that the apostles even existed. It hasn't even been proved that Jesus existed. They're fairly sure he did, but that doesn't mean anything.

And let's say Jesus and the Apostles all DID exist. If Jesus never resurrected, as Jesus Hitler stated, fanatcism could be a reason to go about spouting his word. Or another common theory is drugs. Plus you also have to keep in mind people back then weren't intelligent, to say the least.
:tinysmile:

HELLS YEAH
Rep:
Level 88
The ancients weren't intelligent? What, not even the great builders of civilisation as we know it? How can you look at the architectural, governmental, scientific, and mathematical achievements of the Babylons, ancient Indians, Romans, Greeks, Persians, Chinese, and others and say they weren't intelligent?
Quote from: Elegy
It's fucking sad that you and the cat can't stick to the subject and even attempt to defend your little bullshit religion without jumping to personal attacks, maybe thats because evolution is such a stupid idea it's hard to back it up with any claims pertaining to reality.

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2014 Best Musician2013 Funniest Member2013 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2013 Best Musician2013 King of RMRKFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Username2012 Best MusicianFor frequent good quality Wiki writing [citation needed]Most entertaining member on the IRC2011 Best Musician2011 Funniest Member2010 Most Missed Member
Ah, you have me there. The general public wasn't intelligent though, that's really what I meant. I suppose I should've put more thought into that. Besides, we're talking about the Jews, apparentlly. They never did anything great. :P

HELLS YEAH
Rep:
Level 88
As compared to our own? :/
Quote from: Elegy
It's fucking sad that you and the cat can't stick to the subject and even attempt to defend your little bullshit religion without jumping to personal attacks, maybe thats because evolution is such a stupid idea it's hard to back it up with any claims pertaining to reality.

Rep:
Level 97
Touche~

For the most part, the general pulbic NOW is more educated. Anyway, we're getting off-track here. My point wasn't all that great to begin with.

Communism<3
Rep:
Level 91
Uhhh.. I'm Atheist and feel more then just pity for anyone who "Believes" but I seem to be taking this more seriously then anyone else here.... Which speaks for it's self.... >_>

All my subjects are not to my own personally beliefs and as Halo has said, the apostles and Jesus may not have existed. I've seen evidence that they didn't. The only evidence I've seen that they where real is a dusty old book.

IF he existed, who said he even died? And yes, I have heard MANY plausible claims that it was just fanaticism after his death.

Your points were valid enough, even though it shows you're some what anti-Semitic... :-\