RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Tutorial- Making map puzzles

Rep:
Level 88
I'm back :P
I don't know if a tutorial like this has been made before, but ill post my version of it anyways...

So if you've seen on rpg games before, there's usually some part in the game where you move around boulders to find the exit. So now you can learn how to do that for your own game ;D

Step 1

First of all you must think up a design plan. When making a puzzle there's some things you should keep in mind:
1. Make sure that the path is somewhat difficult, but clear to find. So maybe the player will take a couple of times to get through.
2. There is more than 1 way out. This is because if the character gets stuck, they could figure another way out.
3. Test out the map at least 3 times before continuing on, to make sure that its not too hard, and not so likely that others might get stuck while playing.
4. Figure out how easily someone could get stuck. Because with my tutorial the boulders will reset when you return to the map again, but if the character gets stuck, its a save, quit situation, which can be frustrating to others.

This map has 2 ways of exiting. I've drawn out one. Also including a chest, you could have a few in there that are only accessible through certain ways.

Step 2

Coding is very simple. For each boulder include a bunch of conditional branches.
Because it is set to Hero Touch, when the hero faces a certain way and touches it, it will move that way. Also set it to No Animation. It will still have the animation when pushed.
The wait is also in there so that the boulders is moved, then you continue to move afterwards.
If you're having trouble understanding each conditional branch, or haven't used them before, here's some quick information.
A conditional branch is an event that can be set to many things. From variables, switches, to items on hand, and even where the player is facing. So if you check through the tabs when setting a conditional branch, you can find a bunch of different conditions. So once you set a boulder to the condition of where the player is facing, say the first one is up, it will show you this:
<>Conditional Branch: Player is facing Up
  <>
  Else Handler
  <>

Under the conditional branch facing up, that means if the player is facing up, then the action will happen. The else handler means that if the player is not facing up, then this will happen. Now under the else handler, you enter in the next conditional branch, if the player is facing down this will happen, and the else handler if the character is not facing up, or down, but facing left this will happen...etc.

So that's it! if you have any questions, go ahead and post, ill be happy to answer ;D

Rep:
Level 88
Random-Idiot
Apart from this tutorial being great, step 2 is stupid. Instead of event commands, only add a sound in it and one move command: Move Away from player. Make it action key, and you are done. When pressing the stone (pushing it) it will automaticly Move Away, which implies the EXACT same codes as you wrote their with your conditional branches, yet being efficient.

Good tut though. Rock puzzels are cool!

Me­™
ALL HAIL ME™

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
Rep:
Level 96
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
GIAW 14: 2nd Place (Hard Mode)2013 Zero to Hero2013 Biggest Drama WhoreParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.
But if she did that wouldn't it move in a random direction?
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

Rep:
Level 89
2012 Best RPG Maker User (Story)Project of the Month winner for July 2008Project of the Month winner for May 20072011 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)2011 Project of the Year2011 Best RPG Maker User (Story)
Naw I think it just goes one step in the direction the player is facing, away from player.

Rep:
Level 88
Hell... What did I mess up now... I'm Back!
But if she did that wouldn't it move in a random direction?
it would move away from you... and the only way it can move away from you is in the direction you are facing...
----Current Games working on----
--Rage O' Delusion - Overall Percentage Finished : 4% -- Expected release... Unknown
--The Other Dimension - Overall Percentage done : 1 - Expected Release : No time soon...
v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^
Feildmaster Productions
Made By One Man Run by the Same...
Making Games for Everyone...
Oh yeah, and everything else web based
For a charge... Of course...

Rep:
Level 88
mmmm wateva. i find this way is clear to understand so it wont make any random mistakes on you. also easy for newbies to understand conditional branches

Rep:
Level 89
What will that crazy ape do next?
i tested both, they both work, but having a large puzzle will make ur map lag like hell.  the only way this will work without lagging a lot will be to keep these puzzle small.
My Project: Dark Empire
http://rmrk.net/index.php/topic,7815.0.html
Official Site: http://darkempirerpg.tripod.com
Process: Getting back to work.

Always looking for sprites, if your interested, PM.

"But then I realized, why stop things from exploding, when in fact it is in exploding that things reach their perfect form. Of course, they only reach it for a few glorious seconds, but during that short time there is no object in the universe more beautiful." -Kite Rockswell, the Mad-Mad Bomber, from The Final War, my very own novel project.  PM me if you would like to read.

"Oh, sure, blaim the wizards..."

Rep:
Level 88
yeah thats why i suggested maybe a couple of rooms that link kinda thing

Rep:
Level 88
Random-Idiot
mmmm wateva. i find this way is clear to understand so it wont make any random mistakes on you. also easy for newbies to understand conditional branches

You did not do anything wron  :lol:. Me is just lazy :D
ALL HAIL ME™

Rep:
Level 88
lol ok :P what ever way you guys prefer ;D

Ancient Mummy
Rep:
Level 90
Hey this is cool i'll use this tut :P

Rep:
Level 88
I know this is sorta late, but, how can I make it so When the object I'm pushing gets to a certainplace, a chest appears or something?

Sailor Man
Rep:
Level 95
So about that money...
With switches silly!

Any ways, this is rather Nub freindly. Keep up the good work.

Rep:
Level 88
thanks. i feel like shooting myself in the face with noob questions. no offense to gotix, but ive had enough! i think im just going to avoid the troubleshooting board altogether

Sailor Man
Rep:
Level 95
So about that money...
I gave up on trouble shooting a while ago, but most of us do.

Also, I can read the tiny text in your siggy with out my glasses. Because I am mighty.

Rep:
Level 88
Random-Idiot
I know this is sorta late, but, how can I make it so When the object I'm pushing gets to a certainplace, a chest appears or something?

With variables. Lets say we want a switch 10 to go on ( to make a chest appear) if the rock is on 10,16 (x = 10, y = 16).

Go to the rocks event. Under the event code, put 2 new ones:
Code: [Select]
Variable Operation [number ROCKX] = Events X tile
Variable Operation [number ROCKY] = Events Y tile

Then below that add:

Conditional Branch: Variable [number ROCKX] == 10
Conditional Branch: Variable [number ROCKY] == 16
Switch Operation: Switch [10] = ON
end