RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Is this generation killing music?

Rep:
Level 91
Blah blah blah...
Project of the Month winner for November 2008
Change of topic. (as of Nov 26th)

Is this generation killing music? Yes? No? and why?

Rules are as follows:
1. Keep it clean
2. Format paragraphs

Have fun and keep it clean.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2007, 05:44:29 AM by MrMoo »

- -

Rep:
Level 94
2012 Most Attractive Male MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for June 20092010 Best Counsel
     I think that having a genre v. genre mindset is a bad way to box one's self in. When a person sticks with one and only one style of music, it makes them a shallow person. Music is such a big influence on culture, that most of the time the music that you listen to defines who you are.
     I'm a fan of music with guitars most of the time, (call it rock if you will), but I am also a fan of a wide variety of styles. I guess if I were to define the type of music I listen to, I would have to say "weird", or "deep". A lot of rock music, and also rap music, is very shallow. Songs are built around the things that the author knows about, (or thinks jhe does,) and a lot of that is very mundane.
     I hate the radio, because it consists of songs that major record labels pay to have played. Most major labels are interested in only one thing, and I think we all know what that is. Radio is like television, in that most of it is made for the lowest common denominator.
     Now on to my preference: I like rap when it has meaningful lyrics. Artists like Talib Kwale and Mos Def are very good, while artists like Chamillionaire and Chingy are just redundant. I like rock when it is interesting and original, such as bands like Circa Survive, Coheed and Cambria, and Protest the Hero. I absolutely hate rock when it is contrived and repetitive like Fall Out Boy and Panic at the Disco. In fact, those two bands sound so similar that they could be the same.
     I guess what I'm trying to say is that while it is all a matter of preference, most people are so awash in mediocre music all throughout their lives that when they finally hear something original and dangerous, they shy away from it before actually delve into its intricacies.

Rep:
Level 97
Definitely better than Hitler.
2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2014 Best Musician2013 Funniest Member2013 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2013 Best Musician2013 King of RMRKFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Username2012 Best MusicianFor frequent good quality Wiki writing [citation needed]Most entertaining member on the IRC2011 Best Musician2011 Funniest Member2010 Most Missed Member
As far as rock goes, I'm in the same boat as Holk... sort of. Anything in the category I call "HEY I LEARNED A CHORD LET'S START A BAND", which, I know is a silly name but it's very fitting, I hate.

I would go as far to say that I cannot appreciate it if it consists of musicians with nothing more than mediocre, ordinary talent which is nearly everything mainstream and on the radio and that the public is exposed to every time they walk into a Tower Records, FYE, or any other overpriced CD store.

I hate calling rap "music", but unfortunately it is music by the definition of music, so I have to, but I would call rap music in its lowest form (actually this is a debate I hate getting into because I always feel sort of elitist, but hey, it's the truth). As I'm sure will be mentioned, rap is about the lyrics, not the music, further proving it shouldn't be music. But I do agree there is some rap with some pretty cool lyrics, and those are usually the songs that actually have musicality, unlike the repetitive, brainless rap you'll hear everywhere you go, which usually has close to none.

As to what I like, well I mostly listen to instrumental stuff now, mainly orchestral music, I don't limit myself to just rock either, I like a wide variety of music. But of the rock I do listen to, I find myself coming back more and more to Dream Theater, who have a lot of instrumental stuff anyway and are extremely talented.

But ultimately this topic is pretty stupid. No one is going to be convinced one way or the other and it will end up going nowhere. You will never convince me that rap is music (when it lacks um, I don't know, MUSICIANS) and I will never convince you that every rock song isn't the same thing.
:tinysmile:

I love Firerain
Rep:
Level 97
=D
Rap is more of fast speaking in style, but its good.
Rock is a songy-ish thingy.
But i finally depends on the listener. I head rap songs and i heard rock songs, i prefer some rocks over rap(e)s and some raps over rockes.
Yes, i amn't in the rules but there's nothing much to say.
Arlen is hot.

Rep:
Level 86
Twisted Transistor by Korn.....rules them all......

http://youtube.com/watch?v=kVpTWFtimo0

check it out even if u dont like korn.......its got lil jon and xhiibit in it

I love Firerain
Rep:
Level 97
=D
You're taking this off topic.
We're debating on which is better, not the best of each.
Arlen is hot.

Rep:
Level 86
oh my bad....

Its all a form of expression to me.  All music is the same to me, just one has drums and guitars, the other has synthesizers and keyboards.  I can hear everyone groaning at that, mumbling in the background, umm YEAH thats why this is a debate!!

I really can't decide on either one, because I like both.  Thats why I was saying watch the video, because it has Lil Jon and Xhibit, Snoop Dogg, and Korn, switching roles.  One plays the other. 

pokeball :)OfflineMale
Cheese
Rep:
Level 95
?
Twisted Transistor by Korn.....rules them all......

http://youtube.com/watch?v=kVpTWFtimo0

check it out even if u dont like korn.......its got lil jon and xhiibit in it

I don't like korn :P lol what the hell are they? raprock?
overrrrrrated.

and yes, you did sorta spam this topic.

Anyways, I will have to stick behind rock. I don't know anything about playing instruments, but I do think it's a lot harder than just singing to a beat. Rap is usually one dude, and then a paid studio to create him music for his song.
Watch out for: HaloOfTheSun

Licks
Rep:
Level 91
Sexual Deviant
I like both equally...

Well, I like rock more, but I still like both, they are both genres of music worth listening to.

MANMACHINE
Rep:
Level 91
God of Dicks
How about we just throw the two together and call it jambalaya?

That'd be great.

Rep:
Level 91
Blah blah blah...
Project of the Month winner for November 2008
I just wanted to see what type of reactions I would get from you guys and your opinions on each. For example, FFshrine had a topic like this but the replies were significantly different than here.

- -

Rep:
Level 94
2012 Most Attractive Male MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for June 20092010 Best Counsel
Consider the source.

Licks
Rep:
Level 91
Sexual Deviant
Indeed, most of us like metal/rock and the like

(BTW, Korn? WTF is it?)

Rep:
Level 93
<o>_<o>
2014 Funniest MemberParticipant - GIAW 11Bronze - GIAW 92011 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)

Since I'm the only one with any hip-hop knowledge, I'll be Rap's defence attorney.

I'm surprised nobody jumped on him for this.

At any rate, Holk already said what I had to say. To me there isn't a debate between rap and rock, but rather one between good music and bad music. As for saying that rap is music, well, me and Halo have already had our fair share of debates on the matter so I don't think it's something we need to get into again.

Communication begins with understanding
Rep:
Level 89
Project of the Month winner for October 2007
People just get the wrong view of rap. Many connect rap with drugs and sex, which also gives it a bad rumor. Just like Jazz and Blues got on its area. Some says that in the future, rap is going to be just popular as Jazz and Blues was in their area.

Other from that, I don't prefer Rap. Just the language they are using make me a bit sick. I just don't like the music.
I prefer Rock more, with different types of solos and rifs,  shows the musicians real talents. Rap musicians don't show any talent.

Rep:
Level 93
<o>_<o>
2014 Funniest MemberParticipant - GIAW 11Bronze - GIAW 92011 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)
Rap musicians don't show any talent.

Very wrong. Some rappers are remarkable poets.

Rep:
Level 89
True, but the way they preform it is just wrong in my opinion. If they want to preform it, there's other ways to do it.

Rep:
Level 93
<o>_<o>
I see nothing wrong with performing it in that manner, and actually believe it is a good idea that they do. Rap, at its core, is poetry set to rhythm. As such, I think it sounds much better presented in that way. You could listen to your rock songs without a drummer playing, but would that be better?

Rep:
Level 89
You could listen to your rock songs without a drummer playing, but would that be better?

That depends. Some songs is good without drummers, but some songs just need it.

I prefer Rock over Rap. That's it.

You zetta sons of digits.
Rep:
Level 91
SMEEEEE HEEEEEE
I like all really, though i would have to choose rock, thought i have changed my types, i used to love rap =/ but i do like RnB as it just has a, i dunno it just sounds better to rap =/. 

( ´ิ(ꈊ) ´ิ) ((≡^⚲͜^≡)) (ી(΄◞ิ౪◟ิ‵)ʃ)
Rep:
Level 102
(っ˘ڡ˘ς) ʕ•̼͛͡•ʕ-̺͛͡•ʔ•̮͛͡•ʔ (*ꆤ.̫ꆤ*)
2014 Avast Ye Merry Pirate!2013 Avast Ye Merry Pirate Award2012 Avast Ye Merry Pirate AwardFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2011 Avast Ye Merry Pirate2011 Most Unsung Member2010 Avast Ye Merry Pirate Award
I'll listen to some, but I steer clear of most songs, simply because they talk about:

Girls
Cars
Sex
Money
How good they are
Insulting each other

and so son, and also because the music part itself is often incredibly repetivive and unimaginative.
bringing sexy back

A blessing
Rep:
Level 91
<3 Back.
I'll listen to some, but I steer clear of most songs, simply because they talk about:

Girls
Cars
Sex
Money
How good they are
Insulting each other

and so son, and also because the music part itself is often incredibly repetivive and unimaginative.

... I second that.

Rep:
Level 96
2010 Most Attractive Male Member2010 Best Musician
I'm not a fan of rap, and let me tell you why.

I listen to music for music.  When I listen to music, I don't specifically listen to the lyrics. Sure, your brain still hears it, and subconsciously it has an effect on how you perceive the music, but what really speaks to me the most is the music itself. Maybe I'm just weird or something, but sometime music makes me short of breath, or gives me goosebumps, or even makes my eyes water. And it's never because of the lyrics, or because I agree or sympathize with what the singer is singing about. No, the only time I learn lyrics is when I want to be able to sing along and not look like a retard. No, it's not the lyrics, is the emotion that's built in to the music itself.

If you listen correctly, you can feel exactly what the composer was feeling when he wrote the song without worrying about the damn lyrics. This will sound incredibly conceited, but I've written music like this before, too, and people have told me they've gotten similar effects sometimes (chills, etc). Hell, sometimes I listen to my own music and get those feelings. It comparable to being on some kind of drug, maybe, sometimes. But my point here is that I pretty much never write lyrics, and I still get the point across.

In this regard, what value does rap music have? More than 80% of the time it's just the same beat looped over and over again while some guy talks about something and says "yeah" or "what" 73 times. Not that rap artists don't have any talent or anything, but it just doesn't speak at all to me, personally.

In my opinion, there's only two types of music.
The kind that lets the music speak, and the kind that lets the lyrics speak.

Sometimes the music carries more emotional/whatever value than the lyrics do.
Sometimes the music is stock, boring, ordinary, and the lyrics are what make people like it because they can relate to it or they think it's catchy or whatever.

If they have both, then great.

But as for me, personally, I'd much rather the music speak to me than the lyrics.

:tinysmile::tinysmile:

pokeball :)OfflineMale
Cheese
Rep:
Level 95
?
(BTW, Korn? WTF is it?)

Gay.

Anything trying to do rap/metal died after Anthrax has success.
Watch out for: HaloOfTheSun

Rep:
Level 97
Definitely better than Hitler.
2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2014 Best Musician2013 Funniest Member2013 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2013 Best Musician2013 King of RMRKFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Username2012 Best MusicianFor frequent good quality Wiki writing [citation needed]Most entertaining member on the IRC2011 Best Musician2011 Funniest Member2010 Most Missed Member
YES! RL has said exactly what I was trying to say only 1000000000 times better, and I agree with him 100%.
:tinysmile: