RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Is this generation killing music?

A Random Custom Title
Rep:
Level 96
wah
Yea. And I agree with arl. His music does have emotion such as that one song after the Bean Bag's post. Yeah, we're not supposed to bring those kind of things up, but I remember that after talking with him, it was evident where he picked up the song because of the change in emotions.

POP rock focuses lots on lyrics, if anything. It sure as hell ain't music because they all sound the same. Pop rock is one of the "trendy" things nowadays with teens but it kinda failed.

Actually I'll sum up what I think: Rap and Rock are both good but they fail in certain areas and certain people who try to do them, lol.

Rep:
Level 96
2010 Most Attractive Male Member2010 Best Musician
(BTW, Korn? WTF is it?)

Gay.

Anything trying to do rap/metal died after Anthrax has success.
Rage Against the Machine disagrees.

:tinysmile::tinysmile:

Rep:
Level 94
2012 Most Attractive Male MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for June 20092010 Best Counsel
I like a lot of what Arlen said, but I disagree that the lyrics are somehow less important than the music. When I hear a so-so song, but the lyrics are something that I can strongly relate to, or something original, that makes me like the song a lot more. I would rather listen to A Wilhelm Scream than Dream Theater, and DT are considered virtuosos.

( ´ิ(ꈊ) ´ิ) ((≡^⚲͜^≡)) (ી(΄◞ิ౪◟ิ‵)ʃ)
Rep:
Level 102
(っ˘ڡ˘ς) ʕ•̼͛͡•ʕ-̺͛͡•ʔ•̮͛͡•ʔ (*ꆤ.̫ꆤ*)
2014 Avast Ye Merry Pirate!2013 Avast Ye Merry Pirate Award2012 Avast Ye Merry Pirate AwardFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2011 Avast Ye Merry Pirate2011 Most Unsung Member2010 Avast Ye Merry Pirate Award
bringing sexy back

Rep:
Level 90
As with Halo and RL I listen to the music for the music. I think rock was excellent back in the day which is now classified as classic rock. I believe there was more feeling and emotion in the music during that time period. I listen to some mainstream bands today, well really just one and that is Franz Ferdinand, for I think their music is well crafted and original. They seem to be going the opposite direction of the rest of mainstream bands today. And they touch up on their personal issues as well as global issues.

Rep:
Level 93
<o>_<o>
2014 Funniest MemberParticipant - GIAW 11Bronze - GIAW 92011 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)
Can you provide examples of what you would consider "mainstream" bands?

Rep:
Level 90
What I consider mainstream is everything music on MTV
« Last Edit: November 23, 2007, 08:43:08 PM by eternal_renegade »

Rep:
Level 96
Yeah, there's plenty of bands around today that are high-powered-emotional bands that you just don't know about specifically because they're not mainstream. i.e. because MTV isn't giving them tons of publicity.

I personally don't care for classic rock. Ironically enough, I don't care for it because I actually think it lacks the feeling today's rock has. But maybe that's just because I have great taste in new music. That's why this topic is so tricky.

Get on pandora.com and try to find some new bands to listen to.

Rep:
Level 86
when you say hi powered emotional bands do you mean emo, or just that they have a lot of emotion involved in the stuff they do
Peace out V^_^

Rep:
Level 90
I am sure that's not what he meant. Considering everything has somewhat of an emotion in it, "emo" the little brother of the word "emotion" took an entirely different meaning in todays time. So yeah emotionally involved would be the correct answer! :)

Rep:
Level 94
2012 Most Attractive Male MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for June 20092010 Best Counsel
Emo is such a stupid word. I wish it could be stricken from music history forever. Emo isn't a genre, it isn't anything but something people say instead of the word "gay".

Rep:
Level 91
Blah blah blah...
Project of the Month winner for November 2008
I think music in general has lost it's meaning. Nobody listens to anything that means anything. Rap, Rock, Pop, everything. Today's society is just so stupid sometimes. If nobody noticed I can just name a few examples of modern stupidity.

4chan, all southern rappers, Soulja boy, emos, ignorant atheists, civil rights leaders who want to keep power to racial slurs, theists who don't know anything about their religion and use it merely as a brand, ridiculous censorship, people who think macs are "better" than PCs, youtube replacing conventional T.V, destruction of the English language by modern celebrities, people who wear the naruto head band things as casual attire, people who believe the earth is flat, people who pick sides in the political spectrum just for the label, and anonymous.

All that is mainstream is usually pretty stupid sometimes. Because of this stupidity, most people never hear about any good rappers. Stupid people usually play on the radio because "CRANK DAT SOULJA BOY" is much more catchier than good rappers like Nas, Rakim, and KRS-One just to name a few. Same thing with rock I think. Rock from the 70's to 90's were good, but this generation's rock just doesn't have any talent in it anymore.

- -

Rep:
Level 94
There is always going to be corporation, and corporation is always going to be in the spotlight, overshadowing the smaller bands trying to break through. To say music has lost its feeling, though, is just lazy. You need to do your part too, to find good music.

Rep:
Level 97
Definitely better than Hitler.
2014 Best Musician2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2013 Funniest Member2013 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2013 Best Musician2013 King of RMRKFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Musician2012 Best UsernameFor frequent good quality Wiki writing [citation needed]2011 Best MusicianMost entertaining member on the IRC2011 Funniest Member2010 Most Missed Member
but this generation's rock just doesn't have any talent in it anymore.

Quoted for naivety and ignorance. You have to look further than just what's on the radio and MTV.
:tinysmile:

Rep:
Level 86
alot of really interesting arguments. on the one hand i agree with mrmoo in saying that music from the 70's-90's was the best, but on the other i disagree with him saying that bands have no talent nowadays. the bands that are out now have loads of talent (for the most part), its just being warped into a corporate version of what good music should be so it wont ever be what it should be. and with looking further than whats on the radio or mtv its not worth it, most of the indie and non-"mainstream" bands i have heard sound exactly like the mainstream and just dont want a corporate label slapped onto them.
Peace out V^_^

Rep:
Level 97
Definitely better than Hitler.
2014 Best Musician2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2013 Funniest Member2013 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2013 Best Musician2013 King of RMRKFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Musician2012 Best UsernameFor frequent good quality Wiki writing [citation needed]2011 Best MusicianMost entertaining member on the IRC2011 Funniest Member2010 Most Missed Member
Then you're obviously looking in the wrong places.
:tinysmile:

I love Firerain
Rep:
Level 97
=D

Thats totally wrong. The rock back then maybe better but that doesn't mean rock or any music has gotten worse. Just the  styles have sorta changed.

@Halo: Win
Arlen is hot.

Rep:
Level 96
lol @ the musicians dominating this discussion.

Rep:
Level 94
High fives, guys!

A Random Custom Title
Rep:
Level 96
wah
BACK TO TOPIC >:( I break the chain of musicians talking.

Rep:
Level 91
Blah blah blah...
Project of the Month winner for November 2008

Quoted for naivety and ignorance. You have to look further than just what's on the radio and MTV.

You obviously don't get the point. I have good music myself, by the good modern day artists. Because I know a few good sites. I meant that the music just sorta died because mainstream is what gives genre's their stereotypes. Majority of the world like crap music, and the small populace who find uncreative lyrics stupid don't have much of a voice. What plays on T.V and radio are usually what people voted "the best songs of today".

- -

Rep:
Level 87
In my own little world...
Yep.
Music was always good, especially in the 90's.
Then people started screaming into the microphones like a crazed banshee and now it's not so great..
They call "Screamo" and has 5 other synonyms including "emo" and "hardcore", insisting they sound different
and are completely different genre. Or so the scene kid/emo/handicapped/*normal* kids in my Intro to Buisness class say. But.. I'm not so sure on that one.

As far as the other genres, bluegrass to rap, rock to country, I have no problem with. Well, as long as it's meaningful or has a point other than to make money.
That's my take on it.

Rep:
Level 93
<o>_<o>
2014 Funniest MemberParticipant - GIAW 11Bronze - GIAW 92011 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)
Screaming has introduced an interesting new facet to the realm of music, in my opinion. It's just one of those things that tends to get overused.

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2014 Most Unsung Member2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Favorite Staff Member2012 Most Mature MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best Veteran2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Most Mature Member2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2010 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2010 Best Use Of Avatar And Signature Space
Well, my opinion doesn't mean much; all of my musical friends say I have no taste. But I am still going to impose my opinion on you because I am an asshole. Anyway, I don't think that you can really say that this generation of artists has ruined music. Music, like any art, changes over time. I don't think that you can really say in any definitive way that modern music is worse than older music. Music from all generations has its own qualities. That being said, I do hate a lot of music, especially music with screaming idiots (I'm looking at you Alexisonfire. Though I guess the screaming is appropriate if Alex really is on fire). It seems natural to me that any generation has good and bad musicians, just as any generation has good and bad artists and good and bad writers. In any generation, some bad artists are popular (See H.G. Wells, J.K. Rowling), and some good artists are not (See: James Joyce, Ford Maddox Ford). 

All that being said, I also do not think that all mainstream bands are bad. I like Radiohead, Wilco, and I like(d) Modest Mouse, though their last couple albums didn't do much for me. I like Pink Floyd too, though since this discussion is about this generation I guess that doesn't apply. I also like more obscure bands, like Magnolia Electric Co., Arcade Fire (Actually kind of mainstream in Canada), and Wintersleep. I like most classical music too, though again that's not really from this generation. I don't really expect other people to have the same taste in music that I do, but I think that saying that this generation has not produced any good music is blatantly false.

And just for fun I included songs. Whee!
« Last Edit: November 27, 2007, 08:58:06 PM by modern algebra »

Rep:
Level 94
I grew up in the punk scene, and I think that Propagandhi has said it better than I ever could.

Propagandhi - Rock For Sustainable Capitalism

I fuckin' love that one rock video where
that fucking jack-ass mohawked millionaire
prances around by far the worst sausage party on earth,
where by mere chance he's caught on film shaking hands
with an incredibly diverse collection of patriotic skins.
I like the message it sends:
With a Rebel yell, Just Do Exactly What You're Told.
One million douche bags can't be wrong?
"When did punk rock become so safe?"
You'll excuse me if I laugh in your face
as I itemize your receipts
and PowerPoint your balance sheets.

I hear this year's Vans Warped Tour is "going green!"
I guess they heard that money grows on trees.
Hope they ship all those shitty bands overseas
like they did the factories.

Music's power to describe, compel, renew...
It's all a distant second to the offers you can't refuse.
Anyone remember when we used to believe
that music was a sacred place and not some fucking bank machine?

Not something you just bought and sold?
How could we have been so naive?
Well, I think when all is said and done,
just cause we were young doesn't mean we were wrong.

And I'll rock back and forth
on this two-bit hobbyhorse
'til she splinters and gives way.
I'll tend the flowers by her grave.
And whisper her name.

If anyone out there understands
can I please see a show of hands
just so I know I'm not insane?
Ever get the feeling you've been played?

Well, that's rock for sustainable capitalism and you know,
we may face a scorched and lifeless earth,
but they're accountable to their shareholders first.
That's how the world works.