RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Voice Acting?

Rep: +0/-0Level 88
What if it snowed in San Francisco?
You can import sound files, right? Theoretically, you could use a mic to record someone talking, import it as a sound effect, and then play it in the game parallel to its corresponding message, right? Has anyone ever tried before?
Current project:
Chaos Angelix - ~5% complete

Rep:
Level 88
A good eventer and story creator.
Actually that sounds like a damn good idea.

I haven't tried yet but I was thinking about it. The problem, would be to get the sound playing at the right times.
Harmony before Justice,
Balance before Peace,
Order before Finality

Family Motto.

Rep:
Level 88
Now do you know who I am??
Yes I have, I forget who did it though. And I haven't a clue how :p

Rep:
Level 89
What will that crazy ape do next?
I've got a few voice over going in my game, but it can be a pain in the ass with the timing to make it seem right.

If the player pressed enter too fast before the voice is done, the voice overs continue trying to catch up with the game.  You need to use an advanced message system to make sure the message box lasts a certain time to do it.
My Project: Dark Empire
http://rmrk.net/index.php/topic,7815.0.html
Official Site: http://darkempirerpg.tripod.com
Process: Getting back to work.

Always looking for sprites, if your interested, PM.

"But then I realized, why stop things from exploding, when in fact it is in exploding that things reach their perfect form. Of course, they only reach it for a few glorious seconds, but during that short time there is no object in the universe more beautiful." -Kite Rockswell, the Mad-Mad Bomber, from The Final War, my very own novel project.  PM me if you would like to read.

"Oh, sure, blaim the wizards..."

Rep:
Level 88
Hell... What did I mess up now... I'm Back!
or you could just store it as a background sound... and make it fade out in 0 seconds right after the message is passed...? *Just thinking it through my head... as I am not at home to test if it works... never tried...*
----Current Games working on----
--Rage O' Delusion - Overall Percentage Finished : 4% -- Expected release... Unknown
--The Other Dimension - Overall Percentage done : 1 - Expected Release : No time soon...
v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^
Feildmaster Productions
Made By One Man Run by the Same...
Making Games for Everyone...
Oh yeah, and everything else web based
For a charge... Of course...

Rep:
Level 88
Could you not try to freeze the person in place, or just have the message come up with the speech at the same time, and then when the enter key is pressed, both message and sound disappear together?
Harmony before Justice,
Balance before Peace,
Order before Finality

Family Motto.

Wasn't there a message script that let you pause message boxes with like...\p or something?
Current project:

Rep:
Level 89
What will that crazy ape do next?
Wasn't there a message script that let you pause message boxes with like...\p or something?
yeah thats the advanced message script i was talking about
My Project: Dark Empire
http://rmrk.net/index.php/topic,7815.0.html
Official Site: http://darkempirerpg.tripod.com
Process: Getting back to work.

Always looking for sprites, if your interested, PM.

"But then I realized, why stop things from exploding, when in fact it is in exploding that things reach their perfect form. Of course, they only reach it for a few glorious seconds, but during that short time there is no object in the universe more beautiful." -Kite Rockswell, the Mad-Mad Bomber, from The Final War, my very own novel project.  PM me if you would like to read.

"Oh, sure, blaim the wizards..."

Rep:
Level 89
How about just using 'stop sound-effect' after the corresponding message, so both textbox and sound/voice will end together?
Most games with voiceover are kind of like that; voices end immediately if the player choose to end the textbox..

Just a thought, but I guess it isn't that simple LoL
My rpg (in-making) : http://junkart.wikidot.com/

Rep:
Level 88
thats what i suggested... XD

and yes... it DOES work...
--Rage O' Delusion - Overall Percentage Finished : 4% -- Expected release... Unknown
--The Other Dimension - Overall Percentage done : 1 - Expected Release : No time soon...
Feildmaster Productions

( ´ิ(ꈊ) ´ิ) ((≡^⚲͜^≡)) (ી(΄◞ิ౪◟ิ‵)ʃ)
Rep:
Level 102
(っ˘ڡ˘ς) ʕ•̼͛͡•ʕ-̺͛͡•ʔ•̮͛͡•ʔ (*ꆤ.̫ꆤ*)
2014 Avast Ye Merry Pirate!2013 Avast Ye Merry Pirate Award2012 Avast Ye Merry Pirate AwardFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2011 Most Unsung Member2011 Avast Ye Merry Pirate2010 Avast Ye Merry Pirate Award
It's been tried before, and people have grouped together and started to record stuff, but it's never been followed through or even a demo been made using it.
bringing sexy back

Rep:
Level 88
i'd try making a demo but my voice sucks.. Oo  :=:
Feildmaster Productions

I don't have a mic, so I'll have to hire people...
Current project:

Rep:
Level 88
How will you get the funds to hire people?
Harmony before Justice,
Balance before Peace,
Order before Finality

Family Motto.

I was planning on "hiring" some friends, or anyone willing to work for the amazing wage of 0 dollars an hour.
Current project:

Rep:
Level 88
lmao "hiring" some friends.

Well, hope that you have success with that, i'd like to hear how it turns out. Get a local drama group involved as well. It'll give them work experience (and it's normally free)
Harmony before Justice,
Balance before Peace,
Order before Finality

Family Motto.

Rep:
Level 90
I've tried to do some voice acting for a few projects, but they both (I think...) cancelled or something to that effect. I'm more than willing to let anyone use my voice for anything.  So, if you want to test it or ever need someone to do voice acting for just about anything, pm or e-mail me.

LMAO, so someone else did have my idea.  I was wondering when people were going to start doing voiceovers.  Anywase, I'd help out but I'm still trying to find a Digital Voice Morpher that works with pitch and tone.  Then you wouldn't realy need anyone else's help you could just record your own voice and morph the sound.  But it appears technology hasn't cought up with me yet....   :-[

- Searching for results.  Please wait while we find your results.... -

oooooooo, then again mabey there is a ray of hope......   ;)
« Last Edit: January 08, 2007, 04:16:35 PM by Yume_Nasuki »
"You are free to sever the chains of fate that bind you...."  - Legend of Dragoon (PSOne) 2000 -

Making the voices is the hard part.

Setting them in the game is easy.

Just play the voice file and have the text come up right after that.
When the player presses the button to move the text have the next thing be turn OFF sound.
Then play the next voice file followed by the text.

Rep:
Level 89
2012 Best RPG Maker User (Story)Project of the Month winner for July 2008Project of the Month winner for May 20072011 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)2011 Project of the Year2011 Best RPG Maker User (Story)
The one thing I'd think to look out for here is that often, people who do this end up focusing too much on getting the voices before the other fundamental aspects of the game are ripe. Just don't get distracted from the main course :)

P.S. In my personal opinion, voice-over is a double edged sword. If done nicely it's quite impressive, but if done badly it's a turn-off.

Rep:
Level 96
2011 Most Missed Member2010 Zero To Hero
I tried to do voices in my GM project, the castlevania one. I figured out how to make my voice get a real cool evil effect, it didn't even sound like me anymore. Given, it's the easiest kind, but I did it.

Rep:
Level 91
Personal Text
I think quite alot of people have tried it but it would probably make the game file huge

Rep:
Level 88
Depends on what you save the music file as, I here wav is really small.
Harmony before Justice,
Balance before Peace,
Order before Finality

Family Motto.

Rep:
Level 88
Um... wav is huge! If I remember it all right: wav is the best format for quality due to how it doesn't compress the file and can go through many encodings without losing quality abuptly. mp3 is a compressed and small format (unless it's at 320k/bits) but with each new encoding quality drops. There is a format that can keep quality although I think it's not a "normal" everyday format and probably requires something RPG Maker won't have.

So you'd probably need to use mp3 - even then all of the voice clips added up... that's gonna be freakin' huge anyway.  :D

Rep:
Level 91
Personal Text
Yea..
Unless you only put it on climatic events instead of the whole game...
you might just get away with it.

Rep:
Level 88
Keep on Baggin'
I don't think voice acting is a good idea.  Unless you've got a decent set-up and some people with actual like, i dunno theatrical talent, the voice acting thing could get real old real quick. The thought of some whiny kid narrating everything with a scratchy mic gives me goosebumps. 
If your gonna do it, make it professional.
Some friends mend.  Some friends depend.  Some friends lend.  Some friends send.  Friend.

Rep:
Level 88
and thus i refer to my earlier statement

Raid the nearest Drama group!
Harmony before Justice,
Balance before Peace,
Order before Finality

Family Motto.

I'm a part of a large drama group at my school...we do improvisation, stage combat, and scripted plays...I could probably hire some of them.
Current project:

Rep:
Level 88
and their equipment too!

They tend to have good Mic's, recorders and stuff.
Harmony before Justice,
Balance before Peace,
Order before Finality

Family Motto.

Rep:
Level 88
Keep on Baggin'
You know what would be great?  narrating a game with a computer voice, like the ones where you type stuff in and it program says the out loud.
Some friends mend.  Some friends depend.  Some friends lend.  Some friends send.  Friend.

"The. Story. LINE. Has. Progressed. If you would like to continue, please press 1. To pause the game, press 2."
Current project:

Rep:
Level 88
To walk forward, press 8.

If you want to screw yourself and go back to internet explorer press Alt+F4 once you open I.E. that is.

I don't think that would be a good idea. Perhaps having a general voice of the lead character?
Harmony before Justice,
Balance before Peace,
Order before Finality

Family Motto.