RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
XP or 2003?

Rep:
Level 87
Hello, I'm new to the forums and RPG XP. I've been playing XP for a little while, and I've been wondering if 2003 is better? I've seen more 2003 resources, and I've seen videos of the battle system which looks much cooler. Except the map stuff looks... well... not as good. But which one is better?

pokeball :)OfflineMale
Cheese
Rep:
Level 95
?
xp is newer, more help on forums for it.

but i'm not saying anything that hasn't already been said. try using the search feature.
Watch out for: HaloOfTheSun

Shadow Knight
Rep:
Level 91
Ruin that brick wall!
Project of the Month winner for October 2008
XP is has more potential of reaching limits more than 2003; with the help of scripts.
But XP is a little harder than 2oo3; especially when you can't script.
Be kind, everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.

Rep:
Level 87
In my own little world...
They, Enterbrain causually took out several useful event commands.
It's okay, I don't forgive them.

Rep:
Level 87
Well, personally, I like the graphics for 2003 a lot more. :3 Also, you can have as many events as you want on a map in 2003. 2003 is more event based than XP, so if you like events, you should use 2003, but if you can script/think that scripting gives you something that eventing doesn't, go for XP.

Revolution is not a bed of roses.
Rep:
Level 91
Project of the Month winner for July 2009
If you want to be restrained to 2k3's crappy systems, pick that. If you want more battle systems, new menu systems, and everything 2k3 doesn't have, pick XP, you don't need to know anything about Ruby or RGSS to put in a script.

pokeball QigOffline
Rep:
Level 87
If you want to be restrained to 2k3's crappy systems, pick that. If you want more battle systems, new menu systems, and everything 2k3 doesn't have, pick XP, you don't need to know anything about Ruby or RGSS to put in a script.
I cam dopretty much anything in 2k3 with events that scripts can do with xp.:/
Working on world of sorrow again.

Rep:
Level 86
The man with no life
Personally I prefer XP. Mostly for the aesthetics of the 32 x 32 tile system first seen in RM95. However, RM2k does have a bigger library of graphics. Still, XP  has the potential for unlimited tiles so...
Reality is only for those who lack imagination

Rep:
Level 86
i like xp but i also like 2003
Bleach is bangin

Rep:
Level 87
Thx everybody, but I think I'll stick with 2003, cause after tryin it, I think I'm hooked on it.

Rep:
Level 91

Ever made a real time action battle system? Tactical Battle System? Animated CMS? Edit the default battle system? Clearly you know nothing about scripts, so shut the fuck up. I'll admit I know little about 2k3, but I know it has no script language, and I've never seen 2k3 with a non side view battle system.

Rep:
Level 87

Ever made a real time action battle system? Tactical Battle System? Animated CMS? Edit the default battle system? Clearly you know nothing about scripts, so shut the fuck up. I'll admit I know little about 2k3, but I know it has no script language, and I've never seen 2k3 with a non side view battle system.

Eh? You haven't seen 2K3 with a non side-view? Just a sec... Here. Yeah, I know, it's not a full game, but seriously... you've never seen a 2K3 game with no side view before?

Anyway, yeah, there are a lot of things that you can't do because 2K3 has no scripting language, but I've gotta admit that you can do quite a lot if you know how to use events properly. The only thing you mentioned that you couldn't do in 2K3 is edit the default battle system, and possibly the animated CMS. Maybe you could, though.

Rep:
Level 91
I imagine you can get the same effects as scripts in the long run, but programming in events is like programming in assembly. It's hard, annoying, confusing, and doesn't make much sense to use.

Of course I haven't seen a 2k3 game with non side view, I don't check out 2k3 much. Even though, I imagine an ABS should be easy to make if you take out AI and a bunch of other features.

Rep:
Level 86
2k3 can do just about everything XP can in a rather *dirty* manner.

The fact is XP removes *some* of the ease of use, but also has the *potential* to be opened up wide, if you have the time, knowledge and skills to learn and master the available scripting language.

2K3 on the other hand has some reasonably decent default, and quite a few ways to do what you need.

XP also supports better resolutions (I think it actually forces it, how primal.....) and colour in graphics, better audio support etc etc.

So while 2K3 is easier, XP has more to it.

Rep:
Level 86
Chasing to create tomorrow's experience
I'm new here so first of all: Hi

From what I experienced, RPGMaker XP indeed has more features opened up.
Though i'm not so sure if it be considered THAT much harder then 2003.

With some proper messing around you can already get a LOT done with XP without it getting too hard
(basic switches, NPC events, etc etc)

Sagramore (MMORPG) - Game Designer

http://www.sagramore.com

Rep:
Level 87
I guess, but my trial time ran out. Lame.

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
Rep:
Level 96
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
GIAW 14: 2nd Place (Hard Mode)2013 Zero to Hero2013 Biggest Drama WhoreParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.
I guess, but my trial time ran out. Lame.

Get Rpg maker xp PK.

Here it is ~ http://www.sendspace.com/file/kjydv8
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

Rep:
Level 87
Postality Knights? I heard that it's illegal and buggy.

Rep:
Level 86
Postality Knights? I heard that it's illegal and buggy.

And...... I'm pretty sure I have seen people here discuss this sort of thing openly around this board?

As for buggy, no clue, It's not like they reverse engineer it or anything.

Rep:
Level 93
<o>_<o>
2014 Funniest MemberParticipant - GIAW 11Bronze - GIAW 92011 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)
There is a stickied topic in this very forum pertaining to the different RPG Makers available. Please refer to that.