RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
[RESOLVED]Two big questions x_x

Touhou Fantasy Developer and all around cool person. :)
Rep:
Level 85
T.G. "Thunder God" Xenomic
Alright, so I'm getting closer and closer to my beta release now....however, there's 2 things that I need to fix up before I release it.

1) Tents....yes, Tents. As they are right now, they can be used at any time, though I want to be used only on the World Map or at a Save Point. Anyone know how to do this? I was reading a faq on how to do it, but it's for 2k and not 2k3. Faq is here:

http://rpgmaker2000.narod.ru/faq/tutorial-save_point.txt

Granted, I know how to make a Save Point easily (that's not hard at all). It's the fact that the Tent is just.....too much. lol ^^;;

2) Party Switch System. I don't REALLY need it for the beta since it ends before the PHS would be put into use, but I'd like to know how to do this before I work more on it. ANY help would be greatly appreciated. ^^;;

Alright, so I guess I have one more thing, though I'm working on it right now based off of this tutorial:   http://rmt.divinelegy.com/V1/tutorials/intermediate/cmsparty.html

It's a bit confusing to understand what to do here. I was thinking of using the face portraits instead of sprites, though is there any way to do so? Sorry for this last minute question. It's not even needed for the beta (I've gotten everything I needed for that done already....just tweaking some things here and there), but it's the next thing I need to do before moving on with the game....
« Last Edit: June 14, 2009, 08:08:48 AM by Nessiah »

Rep:
Level 84
Is a New Zealander
http://upit.cc/files/93159fa50ef802a874872dea714fa4a5.rar

That's a quick tent system. It's got some bugs which you're gonna hvae to fix, coz' otherwise you won't learn.

Bugs atm: Can use tent anywhere then next savepoint you land on heals you.
You can use the tent anywhere.

Well, gl.
I'm much too lazy to put an actual signature here.

Rep:
Level 85
I'll look into it. Considering how many things I had to fix that I've done, this shouldn't be TOO bad. lol.....thanks for the help. I'll see just how much it helps ^^

EDIT: Alrighty.....how do I check how to do the Tent system from here?? Considering that there's no way to check the coding or anything of the sort....unless there's a debug thingie somewhere that I'm not understanding ^^;

EDIT #2: Alrighty, so I checked it in-game, and well, that's pretty much how it works for me (minus the auto-save heal from stepping on the save point). I'm trying to figure out how to fix it up to work better than it is though ^^;
« Last Edit: June 07, 2009, 01:12:05 AM by Xenomic »

Rep:
Level 85
I am the wood of my broom
2010 Project of the YearProject of the Month winner for January 2009Project of the Month winner for January 2010Project of the Month winner for April 2010
« Last Edit: June 08, 2009, 12:07:14 PM by Nessiah »

Rep:
Level 85
Ah.....much thanks. Hopefully I'll be able to get the beta beta running for people to play and test. As for the party switch thing, sounds complicated, but I'll see what I can manage with it. The Conditional Branches are the things that's throwing me off, since I don't see such a thing in 2k3, unless it's the Show Choices ^^''

EDIT: Alright, so my tester tried to open the game after I did the 2nd option with playing the game without RPG Maker, and it gave him a "The file Vehicle cannot be opened" when he opens the game, then it closes.....what does this mean, and how do I fix it??

Nvm. I figured that out. Now.....here's a big one for you guys! I read up on the tutorial and decided to try out the 8 directions thing. Problem is.....it lags the game in just about every room.....is there a way to make it not lag at all? I have it set to parallel process in the Common Events menu like it says, but I'm not sure how to make it not lag so badly : (

I've ALSO managed to get a Timer working for the game (you know....that little clock that you see running at the bottom of the menu when you open it up? ^^; ). However, I'm not sure how to get it to DISPLAY on the menu......any ideas on this? ^^;;

And the FINAL question that I have.....is when I set a skill to a switch, I know it puts it in the Skill command, but what if I want to have the skill appear in a specific command instead that I have set for a specific character? Is there a way to do so??

I know, I'm asking a lot, but hey.....doesn't hurt to ask does it? ^^;;
« Last Edit: June 09, 2009, 01:43:20 AM by Xenomic »

Rep:
Level 85
2010 Project of the YearProject of the Month winner for January 2009Project of the Month winner for January 2010Project of the Month winner for April 2010
for the 8 directions, read it again. Or put wait 0.0 at the end. It's possible you have too many parallel processes as well.

Timer doesn't appear on the DMS (Default Menu Sys) unless you make a CMS.

As for the skill to appear on a custom command whatever, make a new skill subset.

Rep:
Level 85
The thing is, I only had that running as the parallel process, so I don't think that's the issue (I had a Jump command as well as the Timer running, but those were later on). I'll check to see if 0.0 seconds will help anything though ^^

Huh.....I have no idea how to make a CMS, so that's gonna be a problem. lol

Well, I DO have a bunch of skill subsets, but the problem is that if I set it to Switch, it still only appears in the default Skill and not the subset that I wanted it to be for, as it automatically puts it in Skill. I was going to make a White Wind and Sacrifice type ability, but....yeah....^^;;

Thanks for your help so far with this Nessiah. I really appreciate it ^^. I also got the Tent fully functional now too, so I'm happy about that. Gonna possibly work on the Party Switch System later on and hope to get that working. Just need to get these little bits taken care of just in case I decide to use them. ^^;

And now another question....(I know I know, I said last one last time, but this just hit me). I'm thinking of doing a quiz type ordeal, but I'd like to make the questions appear in a random order. I'm guessing I'm going to need to use the Variable Switch and turn on random number between say, 0 and 50, then assign a question to each of those variables and then assign the variable that the random number is on in the event for the questions to appear, right?? I know that sounds confusing ^^;
« Last Edit: June 09, 2009, 09:58:24 PM by Xenomic »

Rep:
Level 85
For the skill did you do this?

It will only appear on ICE SIGN if that's the case. Unless the character has the skill+that command.

For the last one yes. Basically in a much more easier term

Question!
Variable XXXX: Set to Random 1-50
Conditional branch, if variable XXXX: is 1-5
Who's the strongest in Gensokyo?
else
Conditional branch, if variable XXXX: is 6-10
Do you love me?
else
Conditional branch, if variable XXXX: is 11-15
Whatever
else
so on

Rep:
Level 85
Ah. I was trying to do it like so with that:

(The entire coding if you want to see it):

Spoiler for:

However, I'll try it this way and see if I can't get the questions to come out the way I'm hoping I'd want them to so I can move on, finish this event, and get a beta out ^^[/s]

EDIT: Nevermind. I got it working fine now. The only thing I need to figure out is how to keep it from using the same question after it being answered correctly now. Otherwise, I'm good to go ^^

Also, yeah, that's what I do to put them in normally. However, in order to do what I wanted them to do (as I'll show here), I have to set it to Switch for the Skill in question, which puts it in the Skill tab, since I am unable to put it in the tab I wanted to. Example (and I'll show you what I'm trying to do here. You can try this too if you want to see what I'm up to):

Spoiler for:

Basically, I was setting it up so that it's like a Mega Phoenix but kills the user (Sacrifice, of course), but....since I can't technically set it to the subskill that I want (which is Phoenix in this case, since it's Mokou :p ), due to it having to be a switch, I can't really do what I wanted to do with it (the way it's set up normally is to be a Full-Life to the party which just.....is too powerful as it is, and well, the way I'm trying to go seems better fit for the name of the skill no? ^^)

« Last Edit: June 10, 2009, 08:46:05 PM by Xenomic »

kikiki
Rep:
Level 84
Hi
This gets off - topic but,
You have Windows 2000?
Hi

Rep:
Level 85
Just something,when you screenshot please crop it to the parts you really need to show me, it's painfully hard to wait for them to load with my crap net. Thank you.

A thing you could do is just set it as a battle command like instead of having it inside a skill subset just have it as an individual command instead.

also

Did you check that?
EDIT: Actually I saw an error in my code, just inflict 9999 damage on mokou at least that's instant kill.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2009, 11:37:16 PM by Nessiah »

Rep:
Level 85
Sorry. I forgot completely about cropping ^^;;

Yeah, that's exactly how it's set up. I may set it up as a command though. Sounds good enough, though how would I actually do that?

As to the other question, I have Windows XP.

Rep:
Level 85
What you do is:

Like that and instead of a switch make the condition if hero uses battle command

Rep:
Level 85
Hm....interesting. I'll give it a shot and see how it works then ^^

EDIT: Hmm.....I like how that works. It turns out really well! I might get rid of Possessed By Phoenix now for something else so she doesn't have 2 full party revive abilities, or have this command and keep Possessed and have it have a super high MP cost to use....the ideas....fu fu fu! Thanks a lot for the help! Much appreciated ^^
« Last Edit: June 11, 2009, 09:41:59 PM by Xenomic »

Rep:
Level 85
Alright, so now the last big thing that I'm doing is setting up a time bomb. Now, when I set the timer, it starts at 0 seconds for whatever reason. I'm trying to set it up for say....1 minute before the bomb explodes, and if the party doesn't get to the designated location within that time, then it's a game over. So I'm not sure how to run this event. I have it set as a parallel process for when the player gets the item (though I'll have to test how long it takes to get to the designated area too first before setting a defined time), but beyond that, I don't know what else to do x_x

EDIT: Alright, I find this odd....apparently, if I put on a switch that I have the bomb, or just set it to having the bomb period in the inventory, the countdown will not start, but once the bomb is gone, it automatically starts going......
« Last Edit: June 12, 2009, 06:34:58 AM by Xenomic »

Rep:
Level 85
Needs more driiiiiiiiiinks
2012 Project Of The Year
You have to first set the Timer operations to the amount you want before you start it.

1 minute then. Set a switch on right when the bomb is set. That could be done in either an autostart or an event.

Then in a parallel process, check in the precondition if the switch is on and the timer is at 0. If it is, set the bomb to go offf.

If not, post your code, and make sure to try different things too. Sometimes you may have just put things in the wrong position, that's given me problems before.

Ocean's Dreams blog! Contains RPG Design topics, Game updates and others!
Also check out my tumblr for smaller but more frequent updates!
http://http://oceansdreams.tumblr.com/

Rep:
Level 85
Ah. I found the problem. I had the timer start in the event of where the If statement would be if the bomb were to go off, and not right as the bomb would be picked up. ^^;;

That's all fixed now though, and I can safely go through the rest of the beta and have it done for next week. Much thanks to you guys! Don't worry.....I've already credited all of you that's helped with this....dunno what I would've done without ya'll. ^^'

Rep:
Level 85
And now ANOTHER timer event problem, this one I can't seem to get working AT ALL.....coding for your viewing pleasure to see what I'm doing (and I've tried even using variables, and testing it with both variable and switch, and nothing....even if I put in an item...):

You tell me what's wrong. I haven't the slightest clue, and I've been messing with it for lord knows how long now x_x. I'm also trying to get the music to stay as it is shown, but that's not even playing with the switch on....I don't know what's going on and it's really getting to me as it's basically the last thing I need to do before beta release.

Also, yes, I turned off the timer when I did the bomb event. So that shouldn't be an issue at all....

Rep:
Level 85
Needs more driiiiiiiiiinks
2012 Project Of The Year
There's a Timer 1 0.00 sec less precondition to the left, use that instead of the conditional branch. Then all you'd have to do is set it as an autostart and it should be okay.

and try not to use parallel process events without a wait in them. Even a wait 0.0 seconds would be good (as that's a fraction of .1 seconds, not 0).

Ocean's Dreams blog! Contains RPG Design topics, Game updates and others!
Also check out my tumblr for smaller but more frequent updates!
http://http://oceansdreams.tumblr.com/

Rep:
Level 85
Will that actually make it start counting down though? Because that's the issue I'm having. I'll check this out when I wake up and see if it works though first before anything else ^^;

EDIT: Well, I tried it how you said, and the timer still doesn't appear at all. I think it has to do with the first image there, and how the timer is set....I don't know....it just refuses to work.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2009, 07:55:45 PM by Xenomic »

Rep:
Level 85
Alright, so I managed to get the timer to show up (I had to put it in the same event as the 2nd image for whatever reason....), but now it doesn't like to count down even though I have it set to start....I think it's due to the switch being on  still for that event.....and I'm also trying to make it so that the bg music plays throughout the entire area until you reach the end........which I haven't figured out how to do  yet unless I set a parallel process event on every page for it or something??

Rep:
Level 85
A BGM plays as long as the next map has no off bgm or any bgm set in map properties. I'm not sure about the timer, usually people just use a common event and call it.

..I hate to say this but the amt. of questions is driving me nuts  ;9

Rep:
Level 85
Sorry about the shear amount of questions. I'm just trying to get things going so the beta can be released this upcoming week, and I've been stressing myself out over all of these things (I still have a bit more to do before I release it as well ^^;;  ).

Timer I got fixed and working. Stupid me forgot to check the appear on-screen function for it >.>;;

Rep:
Level 85
Ok then, just something. Before asking, PLEASE PLEASE PLEAAASSSEEE CHECK EVERY SINGLE OPTION. Also when asking a question, just edit your first post, no need to post another and another, it's harder for us to know which one you are really having troubles with.

Rep:
Level 85
Yeah....I really should've done that to begin with tbh with the first post thing....^^;;

And most of these I did think I checked every single option. Some, like that last one, was just plain oversight on my end....it didn't even hit me until I realize hey......you didn't check this option dummy >_<

Anywho, there aren't anymore questions now, as I've pretty much got everything now. I thank you for your massive help guys, and especially you Nessiah. All of your help has been credited as well in the Read Me (sorry, haven't made any credit screen or anything like that yet). So all I have to say is wait for the beta sometime this week and hopefully I'll see where it goes from there ^^;

So now, I guess I can say that this topic is done with now. Everything's resolved pretty much and can be locked? ^^;