RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Ye Olde Grappling Hook

Rep: +0/-0Level 88
Howdy. My programming skills are rather poor so I decided to do the smart thing and ask more knowledgeable people for help.
My goal is to add a grappling hook to my game (using RPG Maker XP, btw), thus allowing the player to climb otherwise unclimbable cliffs (My nostalgia of Rygar on the NES must be kicking in). My problem, however, is figuring out how to have a (hopefully) single sprite repeat upwards until the hook itself stops moving. The second part would be, naturally, to have the rope sprites remove (or at least hide) themselves as the player passes over their area on the grid.
What I have so far is an event at the base below a rock sprite atop the cliff, acting as a tell-tale sign of a grapple location (and something to latch onto). Here's the code for the event in question. I included it in case someone can suggest a better programming method.

Code: [Select]
<>Conditional Branch: [Grappling Hook] posessed
 <>Common Event: Grappling Animation
 <>Proceed with Movement
 <>Move Event: This Event
<>Graphic: 'Grappling - Adam'. 0,4,0
<>Phasing Mode ON
<>Move Up
<>Move Up
<>Move Up
 <>Proceed with Movement
 <>Move Event: Player
<>Wait: 5 frames
<>Phasing Mode ON
<>Move Up
<>Move Up
<>Move Up
<>Move Up
<>Move Up
<>Phasing Mode OFF
 <>Proceed with Movement
 <>Move Event: This Event
<>Graphic: 'Grappling - Adam'. 0,4,0
<>Phasing Mode ON
<>Move Down
<>Move Down
<>Move Down
<>
 End

If you can come up with any ideas I would be greatly appreciative. Thank you.

Ancient Mummy
Rep:
Level 90
Welcome to tha forums...

Maybe you could use an easy wait command to let it stop after like 3 seconds or something..
and use erase event command oculd work..
I think.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2007, 10:22:08 AM by Snailer »

Rep: +0/-0Level 88
I just wanted to update the situation. I redid the code so that the only thing in the event itself is three variables (length for rope up, length for player up, length for rope down) and a common event. This allows me to have the player climb cliffs of any size with a minimum of coding. My problem with the rope animation, though, still stands...