RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
My computer stopped working for no reason.

Rep:
Level 72
~Few people understand the beauty of the night~
2014 Best Topic
bull. troubleshooting is logic

The act of troubleshooting uses logic; the results do not always follow logic.
Download http://a.tumblr.com/tumblr_lm5v281q6E1qde50fo1.mp3

Last Stop
Rep:
Level 88
Everyone Off
Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantSilver - GIAW 10Silver - GIAW 92011 Biggest Drama WhoreBronze - GIAW HalloweenGold - Game In A Week VII
there's a reason for everything that happens, just because we don't know the reason doesn't mean there isn't one.

Meet me in the middle
Rep:
Level 89
or left of the dial.
For frequently finding and reporting spam and spam botsSecret Santa 2012 Participant
in all honesty every spring a lot of PSU's die due to power surges and brown outs. sometimes they take other components with them.
came to post this. your gpu may have been collateral.

Rep:
Level 96
2010 Most Attractive Male Member2010 Best Musician
That really bites. I'm not sure what could have even caused that. There weren't any storms or whatever in the 12 hour window the thing had to break within. I have a surge protector (fat lot of good that did).

Hopefully I can get it replaced.

Thanks for all the help/input/experience, guys. I appreciate it.

:tinysmile::tinysmile:

Last Stop
Rep:
Level 88
Everyone Off
Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantSilver - GIAW 10Silver - GIAW 92011 Biggest Drama WhoreBronze - GIAW HalloweenGold - Game In A Week VII
sometimes symptoms of a surge won't show right away until the capacitors lose charge and then won't hold it anymore.

And what kinda surge protector did you have. if it was just a plain power strip with a switch, nine times out of ten those aren't really rated for anything substantial. http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/everyday-tech/surge-protector7.htm definitely read this.

« Last Edit: June 23, 2014, 03:19:14 AM by Ser Strike Reyhi »

Rep:
Level 96
It's this, but without the coaxial inputs: http://www.techexcess.net/images/products/Belkin-Surge-Protector-P5308Y-220.jpg

I can't find it online. I got it a while ago, I'm sure it's out of production.
(http://www.aztekcomputers.com/F9A823FC08-DIGI-249300.html ?)

Might as well get a new one, so this doesn't happen again (or as easily). Any suggestions?

Rep:
Level 96
Okay, this is absolutely insane. I CLOSED the RMA ticket I opened with Corsair, because they never did anything. 10 minutes ago, I got an email saying they shipped my replacement part.

WHAT. THE. ACTUAL. FUCK.

It was SUPPOSED to be shipping "within 1 business day." And instead, they ship it almost TEN days later, AFTER I CLOSE THE RMA TICKET!?

Rep:
Level 98
2010 Best Veteran2014 King of RMRK2014 Favorite Staff Member2014 Best Counsel2014 Best Writer2014 Most Mature Member2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2014 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2013 Favorite Staff MemberSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.Secret Santa 2012 Participant2011 Best Writer2011 Best Counsel2010 Best Writer2010 Best IRC Chatterbox
"Oh shit we should have done something about that now they'll buy elsewhere."
you awoke in a burning paperhouse
from the infinite fields of dreamless sleep

Rep:
Level 96
All my replacement parts are in, and I'm back in business, but I have one question that maybe you experts could answer.

Skyrim crashed a few times. Whatever, it happens, right? But each time it would completely lock up my system, and the monitor would act like it was no longer plugged in to the video card. Like, it showed a "no signal" message. The only thing I could do it hard reset the system, and then it's fine. It's only happened twice, and it's not reproducible, though it seems to happen just when entering/exiting a new area.

But I figured I'd ask. Should I be worried? Or is this just Skyrim being Skyrim? I mean, the whole "no signal" thing is really throwing me.

edit: Did some Googling. It's a "common" issue. Not sure about a fix, I'm currently wading through this constantly reoccurring conversation:

"It doesn't happen in any other game, only Skyrim."
"Sounds like it's your graphics card."
"No other game has this problem, I think Skyrim is the issue."
"No way dude it's your graphics card that's the only possible solution."

Bullshit.

What's odd is that I've already played Skyrim for 120 hours before this, and never had this problem. It's probably a mod I have installed. I dunno. Thought maybe you guys would have some insight.

Really horrible, scary bug though, right?
« Last Edit: July 07, 2014, 12:51:35 AM by Moss. »

Rep:
Level 102
2014 Biggest Forum Potato2014 Best Non-RM Creator2014 Biggest Narcissist Award2013 Best Game Creator (Non-RM)2013 Best IRC ChatterboxParticipant - GIAW 112012 Most Successful Troll2012 Funniest Member2012 Best Use Of Avatar and Signature space2012 Best IRC ChatterboxSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for November 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2010 Best IRC Chatterbox2010 Biggest Forum Couch Potato2010 Most Successful Troll
If you told me bethesda games were accidentally launching nuclear warheads, I wouldn't be surprised

Meet me in the middle
Rep:
Level 89
or left of the dial.
For frequently finding and reporting spam and spam botsSecret Santa 2012 Participant
First thing, drivers. Make sure they're up to date. Skyrim gets really fucking finnicky on older drivers. Second thing, unofficial patches, which I'll link at the bottom. If you have any other mods installed disable them one by one and see if the issues resolves itself. I've spent like 100+ hours modding Skyrim/Oblivion/Fallout 3 and this should do the trick. Again, it sounds like it's your drivers.

Unofficial Skyrim Patch

DLC Patches:
Unofficial Dawnguard Patch
Unofficial Dragonborn Patch
Unofficial Hearthfire Patch
Unofficial High Resolution Patch

These go into your Skyrim/Data folder and are activated through the Skyrim launcher. I would also suggest getting SKSE and BOSS

SKSE is a script extender. You use that to launch Skyrim instead of the launcher. It goes in your main Skyrim folder.

BOSS sorts your load order, which is the most important thing if you're gonna mod it. You activate your mods from the Skyrim launcher then run BOSS and it'll correctly sort them, then launch your game with SKSE.

Rep:
Level 96
I already have the unofficial patches, SKSE, and ran BOSS, so I'll try disabling mods one at a time if it keeps happening (after I update my drivers ... which should be up to date, but ... oh wait I had my card replaced...)