RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Alot of questions about RPG Maker 2003

Rep: +0/-0Level 82
First of all i just joined this site so i don't know much about the rules and stuff.
Anyways I'm a beginner at using this rpg maker so yeah that's why i have alot of questions
here they are:

1. How do i make all the party members follow me?
2. Like for example i want to make a rpg with 2 different stories like   i wanna play with Mario first then after a few chapters i want to switch to a different character in a different location
So i want to know, if that's possible for me to do.
3.How can i make a character join my party and then follow me?
4.How can i play  a cutscene, and what file does the cutscene need to be? to be loaded to the rpg maker?
5. Is there a way so that i can make a building vanish? (like for example it gets burned to the ground)
6. Can i make multiple cutscenes play after eachother?
7. Can i make text appear during a cutscene?
8.if yes how?
9. Can i add sounds during a conversation?
10. How do i start a conversation?
11. Is it possible to make a  character appear during a conversation?
12.(last Question):  Can i make a monster transform during a battle?

If you could  please answer these questions I would appreciate it  :zwink: (these questions are about Rpg Maker 2003 incase that wasn't clear)

From your friendly Neighbour

LSS

Rep: +0/-0Level 84
Getting only warmer from the oven.
I will attempt to answer these questions as best I can, being a person who's used RM2K3 for a long while, but still makes extremely horrid maps.

1. That would be known as a caterpillar system, which NOBODY WANTS TO HELP ANYBODY WITH. Sorry, but you're better off doing the type of RPG where the heroes merge into your main character.
2. As far as I know, that's completely possible, but probably just as complicated as making a caterpillar system. You would need to make a custom pause-menu system, of your own, which would remove one character, and replace them with another. All while memorizing all the peoples' points on the X-Y axis. Because basic variable algebra wins out on RPG Maker, as we ALL know.
3.See number 1. Caterpillar systems aren't easy.
4. If you're talking about MOVIE FILES, RPG Maker probably only supports AVI. Other than that, it's mostly pointless if you can make cutscenes yourself within the game.
5. That sounds pretty cool. Unfortunately, you'll A- need a ton of graphics to DO that, or B- still need to make a ton of graphics to do that. Basically, just make a battle animation for it, and make a ton of events that show the building in its new state.
6. See number 4. And YES! You can, indeed! One right after the other!!! AVI-wise.
7. Yes. Either A- Make the text on your video file with an NLE video editing program, or more commonly B- Double-click on a blank space on the map editor to make an event (alternately, double-click an event you already made) and then... double-click inside some of that that blank space below the words "event command." Finally, click on the first choice on the list you see, titled "message."
8. See number 7
9. See number 7 up to the event commands. Inside the list, click the 3rd tab, then look around. You should see "play sound effect." Picking the sound should be simple from there.
10. Typically, while playing your RPG, you'll have your talkable NPC on the same layer as your hero. Just click whatever button is the decision key, primarily enter/spacebar. Remember, no conversation will be there if you haven't scripted any words or anything.
11. Yes. But I'm not sure how you want the character to appear, so I can't elaborate on that one.
12.Yes! Under the Monsters tab in the database, just double-click inside the Behaviour section. You should see "transform" at the bottom.

Hope I remotely helped. You're asking for lots of extremely advanced stuff way too early. Take your time to get to know the program first, and read the bundled HELP FILE that you can click in the topmost PURPLE BOOK with a QUESTION MARK slightly in the rightmost CORNER. Thank you for your understanding.

Rep: +0/-0Level 82
1. Aww man D:
2. Ugh Algebra D:
3. See number 1
4. Is there any program where i can make avi files with?
5. Hm i think i can do that
6. See number 4
7. Hm seems complicated, but i will try
8. See number 7
9. Seems easy
10. Ok
11. Well like for example i'm talking to an npc
He says ''O no he's here!''  and then a character appears
12. Ok i understand

Ok thanks ill try the things what you said if i have any further question you will hear from me :)

From your friendly Neighbour

LSS

Rep: +0/-0Level 84
Getting only warmer from the oven.
4.Well, if you've never really edited video before... I'm gonna be honest here. There's really no good programs out there for outputting avi files that you can get without cracking or paying for them. I use Sony Vegas, myself. (but don't ask me how :-X )
11. Okay... Let's assume that the guy is already talking, right...

So we want the other character to appear after some stupid line like this. Well, now you just make ANOTHER event on the map editor. Give it the graphic of some dude, or a hot chick, or somesuch. Do this by clicking "Set" next to whatever graphic you see in the event editor. Now, click the checkbox next to the word Switch. Doesn't matter which one, I prefer the top myself. Now you click on the triple dots next to what should be the active switch. Switches are your best friends in RPG Maker 200/3. Name your first switch something cool like, "OMG GUY appear1" or something of that nature. Just hit OK, and now the Event Editor will reflect that accordingly. Now, anytime you want the guy to appear, then, on the first tab of the list of event COMMANDS... click Switch Operations. It would seem that the switch you made might already be selected, which is a good thing. It's assumed it's already set to ON as well. So just hit OK. The moment that switch is on, is the moment that he's there and visible. If you want him to disappear, turn the switch OFF during the last steps.

So, good luck with those switches!